🎨 Rental Planet Colors

If they could re-implement the glyph block as part of the gleambow event, they could be a collectable resource that you can still build with. Make it so there are multiple glyphs that you have a chance of collecting - each giving a decent prestige value. That way they’re not a natural block that the worlds comprise of.

There are many more things that can be added to gleambow that are not natural blocks which make up the worlds.

11 Likes

It seems they more or less tried to do that last event with the addition of the gleamsacs. I’d hoped fun new craftables and collectables would allow the community to shift more away from this artificial colour rarity mindset of gleambow racing and more towards treating the event like all the others: a fun activity with seasonal rewards.

Every group I went gleambow hunting with last event let almost every meteor die just to collect gleamsacs. No one was worried about coloured building blocks then, only gleam and only for its artificially inflated value thanks to its limited sources & use with goo farming.
In all honesty I was more concerned with collecting foliage than gleam…

Also, the introduction of the augments which allowed groups of players to manipulate the gleambow meteorite spawn mechanics flooded the ‘economy’ with more ‘rare’ gleam than either of the previous iterations of the event. This, again, I’d hoped would allow players obsessed with controlling the access others have to certain colours to lessen their hold on such ideals. Apparently I was sadly mistaken.

Here we are, yet again, as a community standing before another gateway that could end some of the tyranny and allow everyone a bit more creative control over our building materials and environs vs economic control over other players. Unfortunately, I see no end in sight here and therefore have already pretty much lost all hope in these sovereign worlds. It seems as if they will provide nothing besides a paid safe haven one has plotting control over and little more than that. It’s a shame. :woman_facepalming:t2:

7 Likes

Yeah likewise. I wanted to collect as much of anything that couldnt be painted basically. I love my tangle/mould/etc etc collections. And the foliage :heart_eyes:

I loved the previous gleambow events… this one left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth when it started becoming more and more like “farming” and less like collecting.

5 Likes

Ok, this I can live with!

5 Likes

around 194 exoworlds.

4 Likes

Based on Gorilla’s data which shows what colors have NOT appeared here are the % for color of each block we have YET to see.

Keep in mind, for some materials this is not accurate. For example…sand can be made from rocks which may have appeared in a color the sand has not appeared yet…and rocks can be block changed. But just based on this list of what hasn’t appeared, here are the percentages we have not seen in the universe in almost 2 years.

9 Likes

Not quite a good variety imo.

2 Likes

About the gleam, there are some colors that are seen by the files as if we had at one point access to them when in fact we didn’t. Like Night Azure gleam is Sochaltin’s gleam but it is not present on the planet. And there was at least one exo that had night berry gleam I think that also did not spawn anywhere

4 Likes

I actually want to amend my stance on this whole issue. I think we have been incorrectly viewing rental worlds as an answer to an issue they were never intended to solve: I.E. block color scarcity.

The off chance a world can generate with a new color is a benefit to the universe and not exploitable by the person who receives it (as anyone else can spin up a planet and have it be accesable).

Keeping the chance at a new color, while allowing us to spin up a planet of our own is a good mix that doesn’t rock the boat.

I came to this conclusion after I daydreamer about what I want.

I realized I dont care much about the planet colors as they are the background colors to my build. As such the setup is fine.

I think a bit of feedback has risen to the surface with this release around block color scarcity. We should offer feedback on that separately and allow for it to stand as its own issue that will need its one solution.

6 Likes

Block color scarcity wouldn’t be a problem if sprays worked on everything that supported the block tint system.

My problem with block color scarcity is not because I want to have every single color available, but because there was a design decision that doesn’t make sense to me. The colored glass. The color of colored glass is determined by the gleam used to craft it. That’s the problem I have with it. If I could simply use the sprays to get the color of glass that I would like to use, then I wouldn’t care what gleam I got to craft it. But because I want Black Glass, and a decently large supply of it for my builds, I need a large supply of Black Gleam. I’m getting the feeling that Wonderstruck doesn’t want Black Gleam out in the wild with how its been absent from Exoworlds and the likes.

Hey @james … Which colors don’t exist in the color-choosing algorithm for which blocks?

2 Likes

At the end of the day, I’m still holding onto my money until I can choose colors that’re acceptable to me. If they decide to open up the full color palette, I’m in… If they decide to go with the current plan and it turns out I’ve already got ones that I could make into a good theme, then it’s their lucky day… If not, then the money stays in my wallet where it will remain until someone else is brave enough to spin the RNG wheel a few dozen times on my behalf.

Let’s say it’s US$20/month for the rental… If I have to wait a year? That’s $240 of potential revenue for them - gone. And there are plenty of others like me. I highly doubt that the game will suffer many casualties simply because someone had to restock their gleam store, but the financial toll from the people who refuse to budge on this issue could be a very big deal.

They can do with that what they will.

6 Likes

The downside though is that if people do choose to spin the RNG wheel a few dozen times while you wait (and assuming a minimum 1 month lease of a sovereign planet) then that’s $480 they do get while not getting your $240. Given the current colour distribution, like hell is it only going to take 24 spins to get a specific rarer colour. And there’s every chance that if the potential sovereign colours have to comply with the colour palette for the tier that they are, some colours will still never be available that way… a point they’ve been notably quiet on.

Sadly, the more I think about it, the more it seems like the current mechanic is a purely financial decision. While I wouldn’t be ‘fine’ with it, I’d certainly be a lot more accepting if they could just say as much.

You do realise that WS probably wouldn’t even get half of the fee they charge for rentals. Amazon take their cut, and PS too if bought via the PS store.

Obviously, but given that that’s true whether one person rents for a year or 24 people rent for a month, I considered it superfluous when considering which is financially better.

That’s a pretty rotten way to do business… which is why I’m worried that you’re right.

What’s half of $0, though?

2 Likes

I guess it’s the biggest downside to attempting to put out a server-hosted game with no monthly fees. Gotta make money somehow. And ultimately they have to answer to their investors (which is ironic, as they don’t have to answer to their backers), who sure as hell won’t care if it’s a fun, enjoyable game over whether it makes money.

No matter which way they go, a group of people will threaten to keep their money pocketed, or to rage quit. I do not envy their position at all, but if it was me, threats surely would not work to sway me one way or another. :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

I don’t see most of this as ‘threats’ not to spend money, just people saying that with what we currently know they wouldn’t spend the money based on what they get. But if they implemented X and Y, they would. That’s just useful feedback to help inform Wonderstruck’s decision making process.

3 Likes

interesting way to phrase that :stuck_out_tongue:
for myself, not willing to pay for something which doesn’t offer me value for money.

4 Likes

I believe they were going to go the route of using PayPal for paying for worlds in the first instance, so they will have some transaction charges (2.90% per transaction plus a fixed fee of 0.30 GBP/0.3 USD / 0.35 EUR depending on currency used). (Source)

1 Like