🎨 Rental Planet Colors

That is the issue and why colors either be all available or not. Just another thing in my list of trying to push toward freeing colors and moving away from rare stuff. If we don’t do that then at least make Goo something that works better for the average player and is easier to acquire.

1 Like

I think, judging by comments on the forums, this may be in large part people are so desperate for content that they are reaching for whatever control they can get so that they can potentially just start making their own content. (themed planets etc to coincide with games and hunts and malls and etc)

Imagine a world with land at high altitude, and wildly deep canyons and crevices, unbuildable (so no platforms or bridges) and designed for extreme hunts. It might only be worth going to and running hunts on if people enjoyed a challenge and a reward of increased loot (probably not something that could be modified without restrictions) but I think the planet tool is a huge potential content distributor.

3 Likes

I know this is on creative, but these are the same profiles the world generation is using:

As you can see there’s a T7 umbris for both exo and regular (these profiles start at 0, so tier 7 in that list is actually T8)

So I am assuming we can get a lucent rental planet…

Endless goo, liquids and lucent gems since they will regen :slight_smile:

1 Like

I hope so. I dislike exo worlds but I’d love a perma T7/T8 to call my own!

2 Likes

Isn’t goo limited to exoworlds like new liquids?

Well, this was said…

2 Likes

It’s limited to T7+ planets as far as I know!

Only because we haven’t had any new perm planets since those came out I believe. They can’t add them into the planets that already exist. Just like how the old planets aren’t good for cave mining(the ones before malu etc)

1 Like

You can find cactuses from permanent planets.

You can find goo from lower exos.

Since when were cactus not around? Thought they’ve been there since launch.

But I do know the caves are bad on the old worlds because the amount of work it would take to fix them. That is a paraphrase of a dev comment way back when due to complaints of how bad they are lol

Hmm, yeah indeed… Ok, then that is something we don’t know yet either then!

Yeah, and maybe that’s an issue that some of the more ‘advanced expectations’ stem from. We’ve had access to this amazing (albeit not overly intuitive) tool that lets us do near anything, and then we get this.

I do agree though, I don’t know how they can replace the world builder in such a was that is is more user-friendly but retains all the power either. Perhaps they shouldn’t try. Perhaps the world builder could be a tool for people to create biomes that get added to a curated library, and then allow users to just select from the library. I know that would suck a little for PS4-only users, but it would be better than nothing.

1 Like

Sry. I use words Combustion Fraction = Cactus and Kindling Mass = exo weed because those easier and faster to write. :smiley:

1 Like

If they can make a web-based biome preview thing then that could help in everyone’s decision making which to add to their own planet…

Ahh. Well maybe cause those are surface resources and not imbedded resources they were easy to implement. I forget which section the liquids are in. :sweat_smile: been forever since I’ve gone to an exo

There has been some consideration on moving world-builder INTO the game (which they could do) but the amount of time and coding required probably wouldn’t be worth the investment right now. Not a big win compared to other challenges and needs the game has.

5 Likes

Abuse of the rental system aimed at getting a wanted color is a possibility, but I’m sure devs have something in mind to mitigate that.

First of all, is it even technically viable to get limitless rentals? 100 worlds attached to one public world - all visible in the sky?

There must be some idea behind the rental system to stop any kind of abuse. Simpliest would be to put limit on number of worlds per account. Another, to apply some sophisticated price scheme discouraging any manipulative behaviors (like dropping unwanted world and renting another).

I suppose it could work this way as well:

FIRST OF ALL - rent only one world at once. You cannot apply for 2, 3 or 10 worlds together. Just one. SECONDLY - you may apply for more additional worlds after you finalize the first one and after one full month has passed (and only if you keep the first one online, so if you pay beyond the first month)
SO, if you decide to stop paying for your fist world, the new one you get needs to be online for at least 2 months before you can rent another one (so you will have to pay for 2 months ahead). If you discard the second world after those 2 months, the new one you get then (and your third) will have to be online for 3 months (you must pay for 3 months ahead) before you can apply for yet another one (and your fourth).
Long story short: If you don’t discard any of your worlds, you can get a new one every month. After a full year you will have had 12 sovereign worlds to your account, providing you kept paying for all of them. Every time you stop paying for one of your worlds, the waiting time for the new one is increased by 1 month.

Also, for every 3 worlds you discard (stop paying for), one of your locked worlds (the oldest one) is permanently deleted. There can also be an additional renting ban for every 3 discontinued worlds you had (let’s say renting a new world unavailable for 6 months, and that would be on top of whatever delay you “earned” by discarding worlds earlier).

These are just rough ideas and numbers, don’t argue the actual details, please. Just think about a possible way of managing the rental system so players can’t run a rental roulette in hope of getting colors they want. Slowing the renting process seems the most obvious to me. It doesn’t place limits on actual number of worlds you can have, but it does make the process of acquiring them pretty slow. It’s some kind of reputation-based system. Constant discarding freshly rented worlds is punished with delaying of getting new ones.

1 Like

Why?

If renting planets = more colors for everyone, and people have the ability to rent planets, then people will rent planets. Who cares how many they rent?

If devs don’t want this to happen, then getting new colors this way shouldn’t be a possibility.

7 Likes

The idea of limiting you have is currently easily worked around by the fact that you can make 100 steam accounts and access Boundless from the steam game library of the primary account.

You can also make however many PSN accounts and access Boundless from the main purchasing account. (max PSN accounts on same PS4 can play Boundless if one account has purchased it)

In effect, it would be much more work for the player, but if committed to cycling, it’s still quite doable, after all the world just needs to be unlocked for everyone to gain access.

1 Like

Maybe when we get Souvereign Worlds 2.0 :sunglasses: :+1: