šŸŽØ Rental Planet Colors

2 Likes

Depends entirely on how much they cost.

Overall I feel like despite the testing patch notes thereā€™s still more questions than answers right now :rofl:

2 Likes

Honestly, that may well be exactly the case. Iā€™d noticed a similar difference between what ā€œIā€ wanted out of sovereign worlds and what we were getting. So much so that I even asked a couple of days ago what the devā€™s intentions were for them, and how they envisage us using them. I think knowing that would help us understand their purpose better.

1 Like

Yep, mentioned in another thread, but I think if I were the devs Iā€™d do a time-based price structure - would discourage initial gambling for colors and reward loyalty in playing/keeping a planet longer-term. Just throwing out numbers, but as a hypothetical: First month: $20, months 2-11: $12, months 12-24: $10, after that go down to $7-8, but price resets if you let it lapse more than a month.

Edit: Just making that first month higher though I think would be helpful in discouraging rolls followed by cancels, though they could always set rules against that, like three cancels only, then no more tries for X time.

I would be so hard against this I wouldnā€™t get a single one :rofl::rofl::rofl:. If they want to make it just 20 bucks a month overall, go for it. But like the people arguing for full color control are saying, I shouldnā€™t be punished because I donā€™t get a world I initially like :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Can definitely see that side of it too, figured some people might be real against it, that would be the downside there. I doubt theyā€™d do it of courseā€¦ edited first post, but they could also set rules to prevent that sort of thing if they wanted.

But why would they want to? More rerolls = more money for them. Itā€™s like someone else pointed out, the whole system in itā€™s current form is not ā€œfairā€ but is financially pretty genius.

1 Like

True, it might be they donā€™t mind the rerolls at all! Haha, like I said, if I came into some money, Iā€™d do it myself for sure! :joy: (Edit again: If I can swing it I will try to do a few rolls, keep the one with terrain I like best, then edit itā€™s colors since I should be able to use any I unlock if I do them at the same time, before finalizing any) Could be technical reasons perhaps against it if it got really heavy perhaps, but I donā€™t understand any of that stuff so wouldnā€™t know there.

However, lowering the price a little bit after a certain amount of time (year or two) could still be a nice bonus to reward loyalty. :slight_smile:

Edit: As a sales tactic, could even do the opposite during big player influxes: get them to try one by lowering the initial month price.

For me, the colours really are not a priority - I just want somewhere thatā€™s mine and I can build like a hermit without some citizen waving all around me :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

It is what it is, take it or leave it. Nobody is forcing anyone to buy rental planets. Plenty of MMOā€™s require some sort of monthly fee, Iā€™ve never seen one where you get to choose the precise content of the ā€œextrasā€ you pay for.

2 Likes

Except thatā€¦

ā€¦ itā€™s pretty much an advertised option for renting a world

6 Likes

It specifically says you can pick from options.

Exactly, and the options specifically listed are not options in the current implementation of rental worlds.

3 Likes

I guess we just have to hope that this is just a ā€œfirst iterationā€ of a much broader system in the works.

2 Likes

Well I wouldnā€™t call myself a whale(especially with me not even working a full week anymore due to covid so money has been tight lately). But Iā€™ve spent over a grand now on boundless. Between buying the deluxe game on both pc and PS4 plus all the cubits for plots, cleanse points, respec tokens and not to mention Iā€™ve had GC since the game launched without missing a month. Iā€™ve also paid for other peopleā€™s gc and games too. So depending on price point and if work picks up Iā€™ll probably get quite a few at the start looking for certain colors.

Plus side on a ton of sovereign worlds at the launch of them there will be lots of mining to be done for people if everyone sets them to public. Likely the market for metals and possibly gems will crash. But people are worried about color rarity. LMAO.

Side note: before exos and fresh new colors the economy did just fine. Things actually had more value too(looking at you cheap aoe hammers and cheap coils)

Side side note: it hasnā€™t been stated that T7 isnā€™t an option for sovereign planets. So if they are a viable option watch the market crash on lucents as well

4 Likes

I do hope so. Hopefully they can gauge actual interest from those that want to test and not those that actually sign up for one.

4 Likes

Hmmmā€¦ in that case I should really get myself over to the thread and sign up to test!

1 Like

Silk yellow pls

2 Likes

Ah but you see thereā€™s supposed to be permanent t7 and t8 planets. And thereā€™s T7 and T8 profiles already set up. Tho itā€™s not possible to survive on a T8 yet with the skills and food available to us

2 Likes

Someone else mentioned, but Oort will likely jump - I need to start buying up what I can, and joining in on more hunts. :joy: (Would be a great time to introduce worlds with Oort seams, hint hint devs :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: )

Hopefully, since you still need to put the effort into it and the metals and regular gems are easy to find now, those wonā€™t crash TOO much - might even be a little bump even, if people are wanting to build big rather than spend time on the resources? Anything time-intensive on collecting might go up in demand, really - people now with lots of coin might be wanting to buy up stuff to build?

(Could be totally wrong on all this but interesting to speculate about)

That is awesome on your support of Boundless too!! :smiley:

1 Like