Rented connected worlds, should they be more limited?

So I derailed that topic Role Call Test/Live - #48 by willcrutchley
And it lead to an interesting discussion that I feel deserves it’s own thread.

I’m concerned about rented worlds being used to farm resources. It seems far fetched. But it’s a paid tool to farm your private gleam of the color you wish for, for instance. The gems you want, etc…

And I thought 5 seconds about it. And I feel like people that want to create their private town between friends or for their guild will go for lvl 1 planets
And if I am right, then the possibility of creating high tier planets is just there for people to pay for their private mine, which feels really wrong.

I’m happy to hear what everybody think about it, and what people that were planing to rent one want to do with it.

Kirinvar was kind enough to remember us of how the system is supposed to work for now in the derailed thread

2 Likes

There should be more than enough public worlds that having your own private world to farm will not be a significant benefit. Higher level planets also have their charm for building on since they have more exotic layouts, colors and landscapes.

As another example I’m thinking about renting a very dangerous world, set it so that only I can place beacons there but make it public for gathering purposes. I want to set up gathering infrastructure beacons there and encourage players to farm on it instead of elsewhere due to superior infrastructure.

11 Likes

I settled on a high tier world currently and would likely plan to do so again (given time to level and accumulate resource). Edit: and likely rent a private world with same level for fun/assured plots.

The more exotic layout colors and landscapes could easily be added in the rented world creation options without making it a high tier world. And the fact that your main idea seem to be to use the world as a mine doesn’t reassure me one bit. It’s a confirmation that buying worlds for resources farming will be a thing. And it sounds really wrong to me. It’s a pay2win feature that imo is not needed one bit.

I can see the planet renting going wrong and be a major turn off for anybody that were planing their gameplay around gathering and selling resources.

How is it pay to win? You still have to go out and play the game to get the stuff in the first place. It isn’t like you’re paying $20 a month and getting stacks of resources placed in your inventory for doing absolutely nothing. You still have to play the game to get anything in this game. That isn’t going to change ever.

It isn’t going to ruin gameplay for anyone.

3 Likes

Resources may respawn but they are more scarce that you make them to be. When there is more than 50 people that play the game you will have to go far / look around for a while to find places not already mined out. Finding resources is a big deal. And securing a whole planet reserved for you is extremely valuable.

Omni never said the world he wants to rent is private. The opposite actually. He just doesn’t want people building on it. A very different and very specific purpose to having a rental world.

On top of that, there are more than 50 people who play this game. It’s expected there to be thousands at the 1.0 official launch and a pretty active player base during the 1.0 pre launch event.

Yeah, I agree that finding resources is a big deal. There’s going to be plenty of space on every world for everyone to mine from if it’s a rental world or not.

And resources aren’t that scarce. Titanium is easy to get once you’ve produced bombs and can blast non-resource blocks away with it. Even better once you have fully modded out hammers that have max action speed, 3x3 aoe, and max damage. All of which is possible with Iron Hammers to get silver and gold which can get you your first few hundred Titanium which can then get you into using gem gear.

Knowing how to use the Centraforge is going to get you pretty far in terms of resource gathering. Before we had that, it was Gem Bombs, specifically Diamond ones for me. I could get hundreds of resources of diamonds, titanium, iron, copper, and coal in a single hour of gameplay. With maybe 50-70 gold.

The only time resources seem to be scarce is when you’re transitioning between early game tier gear to mid and then late game tier gear. Those transitions are progression pain points every player has to over come. Doesn’t make resources scarce.

The trouble with this line of thinking is that then how do they rent worlds? I would like a private one for my family & I to do whatever we want in relative privacy and peace. I will also play in the public worlds. If the private ones have no resource then they have less… I dunno, complete attraction? I can’t place the phrase but what I mean is - why would people pay for a lesser option. It means you can’t mine where you live, which seems unfair.

I agree there should be a way to protect the public economy - perhaps a spend-it-only-where-you-mine-it rule or something (I’m not a dev, this is not a serious suggestion). I’m sure there must be a balance or safeguards they can find to allow people more private space without wrecking the public worlds. There has probably been a load of meetings about this, given it’s an income generating thing.

Steam charts shows less than 50 people online at any point of the day most day lately, with a peak of 74 players online at max this month. Yes I expect thousands of players at launch, that’s exactly my point. Resources will appear way more scarce than they are now. I doubt the number of new worlds will match the insane population bump

All you say about high level tools are things that let you cover more ground faster, when you mine it all you’re done. It doesn’t help you find unharvested grounds to farm. Renting worlds does.

We have been told that the number of worlds will always scale to the size of the playerbase, so as to make no resource too rare. This should really, if done right, mean that the issue you are thinking of isn’t really an issue…
@Mogdu

5 Likes

This means absolutely nothing. There’s a lot of people who don’t log in every day to play. The only thing I can think of that would make people want to jump into the game more is because they some how think whatever they finish making on these old irrelevant worlds is going to matter come 1.0. But hey, can’t knock someone for having fun.

Actually it’s not that hard to find unharvested spots. Over mined spots are going to be very easy to spot since you’ll be going several minute stretches between finding anything of decent amount. You’d be stupid to continue mining in a spot that isn’t yielding an amount of resources that’s valuable for your time.

You can get diamond hammer level 1x3 hitting on any hammer with a Centraforge. You can put that on an Iron, Silver, or Gold hammer.

There seems to be this habit with people in this community that when they talk about something, such as rental worlds, the economy, or item balance, that they aren’t looking at other aspects of the game. You don’t need high end items to get a lot of resources. You can take copper or iron tools and enable them to stretch further with a combination of different effects, such as durability skills and food, maxing out damage or crit chance, getting as much action speed as possible. These are all very important things that resource gathering people look at when making tools. It’s even more important with the Centraforge.

The only limitation modding out low end gear has is the ability to hit and break higher end tier blocks and resources. If I am not mistaken, an Iron Hammer can’t break a Titanium ore block and definitely can’t break a gem resource block or Rift, Blink, Oort, or Dark Matter blocks.

So moving in a linear progression of being able to acquire, use, and fully utilize gear is part of the game.

Rental worlds don’t ruin gameplay for anyone. It’s like there seems to be this idea that everyone and their pet dog is going to be a miner in this game. That is so far from the truth.

3 Likes

Is it really pay to win when you still have to go and mine the resources manually anyway? What are you gaining exactly that can’t be obtained by standard players? You can still secure exclusive mining rights to a mountain using your plots, and terrain regeneration is at the exact same pace. With regards to resource acquisition, having a paid world yields no real advantage. Your world will not provide any resources that can’t be mined on numerous other public worlds.

8 Likes

What’s the point then to rent a world? If the resources are just as easy to get on public worlds, why rent one?

Kilbo, that’s an easy question to answer.

You can have a world that only you and your friends, family, and select group of people can be on and play on. Perhaps you want to have a world where you white list people and have a single world economy or maybe even a series of worlds that you rent. Content creators might want that for their subscribers on Twitch or YouTuber’s can do it for their Patreon as a campaign goal to unlock.

There’s also the whole thing about modded worlds too.

There’s a lot of reasons and it would make very little sense to allow a rented world that is unmodded to be public and has added benefits because someone is paying out of pocket every month for it when there’s going to be a large percentage of players that won’t bother renting a world to begin with.

4 Likes

Ooh I was thinking they could connect these worlds to public worlds. Makes sense now

They can connect them so long as they choose to and aren’t modded.

It was always planned that they would be able to. A rented world doesn’t give you some sort of advantage on acquiring stuff or building things. It’s just like a public world generated by the devs but you have more control over who can and can’t be on your rented world and who can build or mine on it. At least that’s what is planned.

In other words, @Kilbo, you don’t have to worry about some stranger moving next to your beacon land and building a mud castle when you’re trying to put together a steam punk city or something like that. If you want people to be able to visit the world, they can, they just can’t live there unless you let them.

4 Likes

On that note, a rented world would work almost exactly like a public one. Anything not beaconned would still regen after eight or so hours. You basically get to be in charge of zoning rights.

2 Likes

On the subject of resource scarcity, the devs do have tools that their disposal to fix any problems we might run into. In the “Hunting Servers”, we saw their prototype planet system–worlds devoted to a specific kinds of resources. If one kind of resource is too heavily farmed, they could always add more worlds of that type. Or they could have special worlds with faster world regen.

I have faith that these devs want to foster a strong player base. Rented world have a strong enough appeal just being places where one can have all that land to themselves and their friends. I doubt the devs would hesitate to increase the amount of resources in public worlds. Keeping an active playerbase is much more likely to lead to financial success than holding a resource hostage.

8 Likes

also cant wait to see how big a portal hub can become with all the new planets from people xD

5 Likes