Ridiculous Roads

Well it sounds like Aquatopia tried to get consent when building their highway. I hope they put a good effort to contact the owners. Why did they not stick with portals? I do hope they will make it right and fix their road and leave alone the Outposts that don’t want to be taken over like what happened in Berlyn with Critoria.

2 Likes

I think they tried, but not with much effort. I had someone message me the other day saying they were packing up and moving for exactly the same reason.

It is my opinion, whether popular or otherwise (thinking the latter here lol) that the roads have been built to significantly increase prestige value. I’m not saying that’s truely what’s happened, just that it is my personal belief that this is what’s happened.

I shouldn’t care so much, right? I mean, it’s not near my build, but I feel angry for the other people. I should shut up and sit down, really.

1 Like

Same thing happened in Berlyn, this “city” kept growing and growing until @Havok40k and others spoke to these folks and stopped the annexation of all this settlements. So it’s cool, so as long as this thread is kept informative I don’t see why you shouldn’t express your concerns. Portals are there for connecting towns through great distances, making a long huge highway connecting settlements is not really the way to go but it can’t be stopped unless people voice their concerns.

4 Likes

I love this reply, thank you. It’s made me feel less Boundless social justice warrior and more regular player voicing a concern. I’m now your biggest fan :joy::joy:

1 Like

On the website for boundless, one of the descriptions of the game mentions having the ability to create a hole in a mountain and charge a toll for those who would like to pass instead of having to climb all the way up or go around the mountain. It seems that the devs have the mentality of claim what you can and take advantage of it in any way that seems fitting to you. If this feature was available, I could create a stupid price like 100000 coin to pass a large mountain. Nobody would want to take this route and in theory you could say that I too tainted the game with my poor build that lacks the consideration of those around me. I think that’s what the devs wanted to accomplish though. Obviously not people’s poor taste, but instead giving everyone the ability to make a decision to create something grande. It seems like the real issue is absorbtion and I think many people agree that the devs need to rethink this mechanic. Also a way to mitigate the impact of one persons build is to make the worlds significantly larger. Can’t cover the whole planet if you don’t have enough plots!

2 Likes

It has been mentioned that portals make travel a little too easy and may be nerfed some way in the future (toll gates). Rightly so in my opinion.

1 Like

I agree with you, I might be one of the few people that uses way points instead of warping.

Looks like the concerns of these new Aquatopia road is taking over settlements without asking, and it’s not attractive or they are too simple. For what I understand is that when a settlement becomes bigger, I don’t know if they were referring to prestige, but as it expands so does their annexation radius, so if that’s true, even if they stay away from settlements because of the size of their settlement a road cannot be built without adsorbing the near by settlements even being 1 plot in wide.

For example, what the Aqua roads are doing is what Queen roads was doing, Glehn republic was blaimed for Queen roads getting to close to us and being absorb. Therefore any settlement that was taken by them is now part of us. Basically if Aquatopia touches Queen roads they will become huge until our major who has 700k prestige on his own, he will change the name to Glehn since he will be the new warden. I assume they will automatically disconnected to maintain their identity, at the same time, they did the same to @Angellus home forcing him to move to gain back his identity. So I hope Moebius reads this thread and finds a solution.

2 Likes

I can understand this point of view from the devs…BUT If I do not want building, or a road, near my plots (home) then I should be able to setup a couple of portals so I can get near the city closest to me. If I feel like taking the long route then I can. Now I understand they may need to adjust the portals but we still should have freedom to use them if we want to be out in the wild away from everyone. :grinning:

1 Like

On the above link, James mentions a settlement benchmark for automatic annexation. I don’t know if that is still in the works but it would be pretty nice that way you don’t have to spend your own plots to keep the name of you settlement.

2 Likes

Also as I was just thinking about this, something else came to mind. This is just the beginning as the game is in early access and still in development. As more people start to play and start their own homes, or settlements, or cities, it is going to get a lot more populated/crowded and this could happen on a much larger scale. And some people, or groups, who want their own cities may not be as nice and much more aggressive in nature and personality when annexing land.

3 Likes

Yup, the mood will most certainly shift come release. At the same time more planets will be available. The devs will be able to gauge a good estimate of planets to ensure the correct player density, I’m sure.

1 Like

Right one, we are acting as their quality assurance so we best give our feedback, at smaller scale before they have thousands on their servers.

2 Likes

Seems like we might need an opt-in (or opt-out) approach to joining beacons to settlements. Though, if we do:

16 Likes

:joy: I love that! That’s awesome!

But yes, what we are talking about would go under these categories.

1 Like

this road is a

1 Like

this road is a template at the moment
roads are not build in a day you need foundations first
:smile:

2 Likes

It’s an eyesore and I hope you find it in yourself to remove it. You seem reasonable enough.

1 Like

aquatopia made the road to conect to their new friends its not our fault
that they live on other side off planet :smile:
oh i wont remove it

3 Likes

so there are no roads between towns in the UK? hmmm somehow doubt that. Roads go everywhere in game and IRL. LOL

1 popcorn GIF

3 Likes

It absolutely is your fault if you choose to pave a road across the planet, giving no consideration to the other settlements you pllough through.