Ridiculous Roads

1 kitty pew pew

10 Likes

ROFLMAO! Jenn, that is freaking hilarious. :rofl:

2 Likes

Here’s a test, changing the settlement building algorithm to try and reduce the impact of “roads” (there will almost certainly be “bad” false negatives)

(This is use_c1_home, red = current settlements, and the combined white/green/yellow areas are the new settlements)

final3x1dilate

some tiny settlements will dissapear, others will either mostly stay the same (getting slightly “larger” in terms of when you would get hud announcements about entering them etc) and the big branching ones being broken up into seperate settlements with the roads being cut out entirely.

and for euc_c1_home:

final3x1eucdilate

18 Likes

I dont understand but the pics look nice, so you have my like.

1 Like

What changes did you make to the algorithm to get those results? Is it just a case of discounting single block high surfaces, or have you done it on density of plots, distance from other plots etc?

2 Likes

Well technically it’s not a road. Roads don’t have steps our jogging path does :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Maybe if it was driven by plot density, with a decent minimum size?

2 Likes

Well since it’s still going.

How about underground tunnels? They’d be especially helpful on higher tier worlds to avoid getting attacked.
They could add travel based beacons that don’t affect your cities. Also maybe they only reserve 4 or 5 blocks around the beacon so that you don’t disrupt other peoples building options.

Maybe this was already mentioned. If so I agree with whoever said it first.

(edit) Or add a portal system between large builds so roads would be redundant…

5 Likes

: I don’t remember seeing any settlements along that road except one lone house and a castle and Moebius said he will fix it

I ran along that road once, and I will use the portal next time…
If a fee can be charged for a toll mountain, toll portals… that charge Oort shards lol, into the portal.

1 Like

the first house by shawna im actually safe keeping her build in aquatopia as it ran out off fuel and use it as my gleam storage for moment until she contacts me its been 2months though i contacted the guy that moved out and hes cool about it he was actually building underground the castle i cant find the guy on forum but hes not anexed the last one we found yesterdayand gonna fix soon for the rest its all virgin grounds then theres a massive build by my friend on it
about halfway plus other friend has started a actionpark thing

1 Like

that certainly feels better (1px per 2x2 chunks?) - though seems like a few of those no-longer-settlements should have stayed as settlements (pink):

…as I say this not actually knowing which builds those represent :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

whats the green and the purple
lightsource maybe?
i figure the red are roads
any clues
btw this is an awesome idea this new way to avoid the anexing
to complicated at moment
asking you @nevir :slight_smile:

Not entirely sure - @lucadeltodecso’s the dev here; I’m just making guesses given what I know about the game as a player :stuck_out_tongue:

From my understanding, this is a view of two of the planets (the first image of Luca’s is Solum, second is Therka), and the beacons on them.

I think the colors are:

red: plots that were previously part of a settlement, and would not be after his change
white: plots that are unchanged (still part of a settlement)
yellow: plots that are new to a settlement
green: areas of the world that are not plotted, but are now considered part of a settlement

The pink in my image is me highlighting areas that look like they should be settlements, but were excluded via that new algorithm

3 Likes

cool thanks makes sence

Collateral damage of removing things that look like roads, but given there is already a minimum criteria for becoming a Settlement I think this is acceptable, ie. just because something was a Settlement in the past, doesn’t mean it’ll necessarily be a Settlement in the future. Also we’ll likely rebalance Settlement progression which was never final. The whole points of this iteration is to better generate groups that we want to call Settlements.

I appreciate that this iteration doesn’t go as far as many of the suggestions made in all the recent (and past) threads but I think it’s definitely something we should deploy to Live as it was relatively cheap to implement.

Pretty good.

14 Likes

just to follow the idea here James and @lucadeltodecso

are you essentially say that the rest will become in-lying/out-lying villages? rural areas? (essentially B-Road Areas?) Then i will agree :slight_smile:

That is anarchy to the fullest extent this game allows :wink:

Why someone need roads when you have portals? Imagine Elon Musk dragging his Falcon Heavy in space with ropes and stupidly big and ugly crane. And this “anexing” thing is no good too. People should always have a choice to say “nope” to this absorptions, or at least save some identity thru process. And for sure absorption can’t be done with roads, this is just dumb.

2 Likes

As true as this may be as of now, portals were not intended to be this accessible to my knowledge.

Aqautopia has a rule not to annex if we did it was by accident the road is now being reworked to a grid closer to aqua and being populated it has portals to 4 districts now
AQUA DOESNT Anex without consent and el n musk must make his cars fly before we remove roads lolz :slight_smile:

1 Like