Roadmap: Poles and Beams!

It’ll come … give it time… only so many hands available in a small team :wink:

We’ll probably get a new roadmap once this guild/footfall dust settles.

As long as I can see an update/feature coming on the roadmap before it gets a little longer than 6 days before its release, I’m fine with waiting, though.

That was a welcome surprise though. I was expecting this patch to be only bug fixes but they snuck that in. Next patch should be the big one (guessing) so maybe farming AND hunter on that one? :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Oh yeah, totally. I was also expecting bug fixes and minor under-the-hoods things. Seeing the poles & beams was an awesome surprise, and I’m having so much fun with it.
I did see the concept art for them some time ago, and I had no idea when I’d get to play around with them since the thread had gotten 0 update from developers since November 2017. Could’ve been an abandoned feature for all I knew.
I’m not saying the update isn’t cool, because it is awesome.
But I don’t see the point of adding a feature to a roadmap less than a week before releasing said-feature.
Unless I’m mistaken and the feature was displayed as “coming soon©” for way longer than that? Has there been news about the poles & beams between November 2017 and that roadmap picture?

1 Like

It will be better if I shall keep silence :zipper_mouth_face:

I’m not going to keep silent. They are trying to get nee things out every couple of weeks or so, what’s the problem? Be thankful, be suprised. I don’t see a need to complain. Ever, really. They are on top of things.

Because it wasn’t complete until this release.

As a priority it was lower than everything else we did before.

3 Likes

It’s too tiredly to wait sweet updates for years. I know everyone annoyed by my moaning but I can’t stop already.
one%20does%20not%20simply

Getting new patches every couple of weeks is great, awesome even. I’m thankful for that.

But look at it this way :
I’m a player who’s not going to read all the forum threads the devs write, because there’s way too many of those.
I’m currently deciding which game should get my attention right now, depending on what they promise to release.
BTW, I’m waiting for Hytale, which holds much promise.
When I look at Boundless, what is coming? What am I looking for?
the-thing-that-shouldn’t-be-called-a-Hunter-anymore-because-its-name-has-changed and the Farming update.
From what I gathered, the new hostile creature (you know, that one that used to be called a Hunter) is gonna be a thing that I will hate, which will be able to warp in and out behind my back while I farm for plants on T6 worlds. Gonna be honest : I’m not looking forward to them.
The farming update… well… uh… I’m… going to… farm things?
The roadmap picture doesn’t help much there.
Info on these features and what’s beyond that has to be digged out of the devblog part of the forum, which looks like a mess.

As I said, the poles and beams are awesome. They were a lower priority feature, sure.
But between “presented as concept-arts in a forum thread hidden in the mass of threads” and “in testing”, I feel we’re missing some steps in communication.
I don’t think it’s alright to have to dig through the forum to learn about incoming features.

Look at this roadmap trello page someone made.
I found it when I searched for the official Boundless roadmap a few weeks ago, and actually thought it was official until I started to read it.

That’s what Wonderstruck should have. Plain and simple.
There’s not even a need to add deadlines like “this must be done for Q2 2019” or anything.
You can put pictures for each features. You can write more than “Incoming - Farming”. You can even add a link to the main forum thread about the feature.
TBH, I never used Trello myself, but I guess you can name each column as you desire, and you must be able to move features from one column to another to express how far in development they are.

I see where your coming from. More info is better. My thing is, everytime I get on the forums, it seems like nothing but complaints. Not saying your wrong or anything, just I see more negative than positive when I look at the different posts from people. I really like the game and enjoy seeing it develop. Sure, things could possibly be improved upon, as far as update information is concerned. I guess I’m fine with being surprised with what comes out next. Boundless is all that I’m playing. Sorry, I wasn’t trying to put you down.

3 Likes

call it hunt entity

Just for the sake of clarity - That Trello board was officially started by one of the game designers at the time - it was a community roadmap, designed to get a feel of what the community wanted and what they thought the higher priorities were.

Well, they should’ve kept going with such a system, because if properly updated, it could’ve been way better and clearer.

I’ve spent 30 minutes looking through the dev-art part of the forum, and it’s a mess of threads where you can’t tell just by looking at titles if features are in the concept art stage, if they’ve been released or if they’re somewhere in-between, without actually going in the threads looking for messages written by devs lost in the mass of player messages.

Why not call it the Huntsman?

Oh, yeah. That’s why.

I’ve been calling it a Haunter since I first saw its concept art… so I’ve got my fingers crossed that this name stuck somewhere :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

I like Haunter, but my guess would be Stalker :smiley:

10 Likes

While I am sure there are some who might not get this…how about Michael or Jason? :smirk:

1 Like

How about Freddy?

To be honest, I do hope the final name will be something a tiny-bit more inventive that Hunter, Haunter, Stalker or Warper.

Like “Netherider”, you know, like “Nether + Rider”? Or “Warp-strider”? Not just one word, at least.

2 Likes

I will most likely call it hunter for another while anyway - although this one called for name change for a simple reason that a player can be a hunter too; could be confusing when using the word

OFF TOPIC - I considered Freddy but did not include him for this reason: Both Michael & Jason would stalk/hunt their victims. Freddy just waited for you in the dreams so he really didn’t stalk/hunt you. You may say he did in the dreams but I’m going with real physical effort so therefore he’s out.

I do like the Netherider though.