Say No to Pay To Win

It could also mean that that single player has way too much time on his/her hands and the other 5 are really rubbish at computer games :rofl:

6 Likes

I am being serious when I say this.

I won when I threw backer money at this game so I have something to dump hundreds of hours of time into. To me… everyone is winning who plays this game because of us backers. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Nay. Everyone is winning cause Boundless is amazing. We had very little to do with it other then being the testers/backers. It’s all the devs who deserve the credit for everything. :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

The extra plots might be p2w. Sure, you still need to build on them to gather prestige, but it is not about the prestige, it is about the option to claim huge swathes of land before or faster than anyone else just by paying money. It does not matter if you build them up fast or not, they are claimed and thus lost to everyone else.

I once met a guy, we realized we were playing the same smartphone game, and then he casually told me that he dumped 4k euros in it out of the petty cash. Now imagine me and that guy from switzerland competing for the same region of land. There is some beautiful spot and both of us come to it at the same time, deciding that we want it to be our home/settlement/whatever. He dumps a few thousands in it and can suddenly claim the whole continent in the time I merely got out my pick and started gathering a handful of ore.

Basically depends on how much space there is in total. If there is so many planets that you can easily have a village somewhere and need to walk 10 minutes until you find the next one, okay, basically enough space for everyone. But if planets and thus potential plots are severely limited compared to what every player might want to own I do not like the plots 4 moneys.

Personally I would first like to gather a decent amount of plots and then search a landscape to claim instead of instantly claiming a small patch and expanding it because some people might just decide to set up camp all around me and then I could basically search a new spot. And during this “plot gathering” time I fear that people who pay may already claim most of the planet’s interesting spots.

3 Likes

No matter how much land someone claims - winning in this game is not defined, really. To be more precised it’s defined by players themselves.

You can have a small base somewhere and do only one thing (maybe mining or gathering flowers or hunting) and selling your goods to others to be able to buy some cool tools or materials from others. And you can call yourself a winner.

Competition for prestige is the only official and regulated (measured) way to claim winning in the game, but even then it only matters to those who try to claim the most prestigious city title. Whoever wins that, cannot end game for others and make them feel defeated.

For that reason any paid features in Boundless are really only Pay To Play Easier.

3 Likes

It’s okay, that’s already taken care of, there’s already a system in place that will generate a new planet equivalent to the one that was mostly plotted once the unplotted land drops below a certain number and if its a starter world then the new one becomes the default starter.
The universe grows with the playerbase so this should never really be a problem! :+1:

4 Likes

Oh well, then my concern is void I guess :slight_smile:

1 Like

It is not about winning or whatever. It is about liking a spot of land, exactly that spot of land right there, and then loosing it to another player that leaves you in the dust to it because he does not have to grind his plots like you do but does simply buy them.
I don’t care about prestige and gathering and whatnot, just that a certain patch of land goes to the highest bidder and not the most determined player.

But if planets that are becoming too crowded get a sibling… No problem, just jumping on to the new one and look there for something similar I guess.

4 Likes

@crypticworlds @boundmore @Havok40k Sorry I was trying to convey my thoughts but it didn’t work. Thanks for the feedback in any case.

1 Like

Or maybe we didn’t express ourselves the best way - it’s so easy to want to say one thing and end up with others misunderstanding it.

Anyways - peaceful exchange of points of view is what matters.

2 Likes

Well put, speaking of conveying words xD

1 Like

The gleam club is a whole other issue we could probably get into though :wink:

EDIT: My mistake! I thought it included gleam somewhere (what a silly name)! Nevermind balance is restored.

Kilbo, no worries. When September rolls around and everyone is able to jump into the game after the pre-launch event, the reality of The Exchange and Cubits will come full circle. I am sure anyone who jumps into the game will realize that it isn’t as bad as everyone initially might think.

1 Like

It would be interesting to know what sort of prices extra plots will be in real money.

1 Like

A very vaild and informative point…

However, i beleive it can ben done with ZERO PTW (extra plots)

And this is how… Think about it… half of the game is centered around trade and reward system right? then one option would be… non builders who would like an extra plot or two could BUY them for in game currency from other players who have an EXCESS of plots to place (i mean whi is ever going to fully build 2k + plotts as themselves? I mention that number because i know a lot of long standing players have at least this ammount @Jiivita :wink: )

Or maybe also as trade for items/help E.G Hey Bob… if you mine me 50k coal… i will trade you 50 plotts… and etc

As for the other systems now peaking through as essentially PTW features (buy m,ore skills… buy more character slots) etc… with the first and second one… has it not been rumored *from @james * himslef that everything (come release) will be able to be done by a single character (and he is even thinking about removing the other 2 spare slots due to this?)

But i agree… PTW features in a game like this will NOT WORK and make this game fail heavily! the point of calling something BOUNDLESS is to make it Boundless. i mean its not actually called Become Boundless after buying everythinng is it?

1 Like

i would like to re-stress that you cannot buy more skills

You can buy an extra skill set
BUT all the points that you have spent in the first skill set cannot be used in subsequent skill sets.

Reaching Lv50 will give you enough points to fill one set (100 points) if you wanted to fill all 3 skill sets you would need to level to 150 O.o

3 Likes

What this guy said

1 Like

yes ok… maybe i explain it in the wrong way? i meaning the fact that it has been debated at some point (should we buy extra slots of XYZ or not?* this is how i referr it, also sorry for calling you out @Jiivita you were only the example because when i watch you youtubes you have 1000s (it looks) of plots still available :wink:

And those vids are amazing btw

2 Likes

Sulferblade, I just want to say you are absolutely right. the naysayers are only mobbing you to defend their new corporate toy. This game IS pay to win.Worse than pay to win, it’s as Jim Sterling has said, fee to pay. For those who need catching up, fee to pay is when you pay for the game, usually for premium or near premium pricing, and then get a freemium styled economy where you can buy real in game advantages and/or content (non-cosmetic) using a bogus currency (cubits) that is paid for in real money. There are too many people here who just don’t get it, they just can’t see the world beyond their nose.

This game is a creativity toy, much like minecraft, forget all the in game play-pretend economics (which the “exchange” gives you a real tangible benefit), the real deal is all about the plots. just look at all the amazing structures that have been built by (sponsored) players and/or devs. just look at the massive creative potential there is to the game…except for you…you are limited to two plots per level which you can only earn through a ridiculous grind. granted the grind was nerfed, somewhat, but that’s only to ensure suckers, i mean customers, i mean players don’t leave enmass leaving the servers abandoned and this game just a dead space where no one wants to even spend the initial $40 entry fee. Point is, you have to grind, constantly for table scraps while others can enjoy the game to it’s fullest and most “boundless” potential just by opening their wallets.

I read your argument about the devs not wanting to push anyone away with a subscription. Whoever said that was giving you a copout. the real reason is subscriptions do push some players away but they simply don’t generate as much money while fee to pay games rake in millions upon millions, EA has even boasted making billions off of their FIFA fee-to-pay marketplace alone. whatever their reasoning, no one is going to tell you the honest truth, that the sole purpose is greed, patently obvious avarice. nothing more, nothing less and Square is all to eager to make this company destroy their own game for the hopes of getting the billions that “all the bravest” failed to make. It’s just greed. they don’t want our money, they want all of our money. As a live streamer who plays these sandbox games I want to love this game, but i can’t I can’t recommend it. I can’t even talk about this game without needing to discuss the blatant money grubbing demonstrated by sending you to their market place to collect your “rewards” just for leveling up. they shove that market place in everyone’s face knowing that overtime they will manipulate many, especially the “whales” into being curious enough to check out the shop or to push others to the point of breaking so that they spend their money to be able to do what minecraft and many other games allow players to do for free or at least for no extra charge. the people who disagree with you appear to all believe that pay to win is uniquely a pvp thing or are examining it under the lens of typical pay-to-win pvp. What they all miss is that this is a creativity toy the “win” is building that full size replica of the Roman Colosseum or, being able to produce more shop product for less. the coins in this game are worthless, the real currency is the cubits, which is bought with real currency. plots are purchaced using cubits, a set amount of cubits (30 [$0.30]), which consequently has given all plots a real money value. As such anyone can buy a singular plot, restricting all building above and/or below said plot, in the middle of someone else’s building project and then sell that plot to the player for real money in an out of game exchange. The devs can’t say much about this new surge of in-game real estate agents propping up since this was the very way the game was built and developed. the devs of course would prefer people trade plots using their “coin” play money even though the plots are worth real money and have actual demand-based value. and don’t expect the devs to do anything more than provide lip service, this new market makes them the money they want hand over fist as people buy up plots to sell for real money and other players, in turn buy more plots to acquire desirable plots or plots they intended to get through leveling but where snatched up by someone who paid to win.

1 Like

the thing is you don’t have to build huge structures - I have a small 3x3x2 shop in just the right spot to make coins and afford buying all the stuff that I have no time to grind for; I will never be a massive top top shop but I will have enough to be satisfied, and make in-game currency to keep playing with higher tier tools that I can’t craft myself;

It can take a year for me to be where I want to be in terms of machines and maybe to be able to build something that takes 200-300 plots, but that’s fine because building big is not winning in Boundless. There is no winning as such at all.
If I wanted to taste more of the higher tier stuff, i would join a larger group as this is a MMO so yeah, you are supposed to cooperate to be able to land enough resources and be able to craft all you want and keep 50 portals running.

So, if I decide to spend real money and buy more plots, I don’t win, because I will still need weeks or months to fill those plots with something meaningful. If I find even a small group of friends to play with we can then build and craft more sooner - no money spend. And no feeling that others have paid to win by buying more plots.

At the end of the day - all the big guilds that have accomplished so much thus far, did they win the game and made me lose the game because they were there first?
I think not. I haven’t even been to lvl 6 worlds and lvl 5 I visited a few times. I haven’t crafted so many things yet. And I’m far away from lvl 50 (while others have reached it quite long ago).
They haven’t won anything. My game is not over. They will do their thing to feel satisfied. I will do my thing and be happy as well.

EDIT: nice mini-necro btw lol

4 Likes