Say No to Pay To Win

That’s the point of MMO though, isn’t it?
If a single player builds a whole city with streets some houses a castle etc. it’s not really a city, it’s a ghost town.
Single player can focus on having something valuable like dedicated shop or one specific portal connection that is useful for many players. Whatever activity you focus on with your skill set is going to be valuable because many other players who chose to do something else with their skills will need your services.

And if you want to compete on city/ prestige level than you join a group that creates one. Compete with other groups.
If you prefer working alone there is still plenty to do and achieve to be satisfied. This game offers a chance to feel like a winner on so many levels. You can mine alone on a toxic world and find something really rare. You are a winner already. You explore a new world and see amazing biomes and you are a winner already. The feeling of discovering things you haven’t seen before and even seeing cities built by others it’s all just one amazing winning situation. It’s the thrill of being in truly boundless universe as new worlds can be added any time to expand the horizon.
And then you meet people that need your skills that they don’t have and you can offer your services. Or you run a small shop that can’t compete with huge ones ran by a large group of players but you sell specific type of foods for good price and let’s say 20-30 regular buyers depend on you. You have your own place in the ever growing universe of interdependent crafters, hunters, miners and other roles and professions.

I made it too long didn’t I?

6 Likes

Nah, I think you summed it up pretty well. 2+ > 1 always.

2 Likes

No, because having skill slots does nothing to the huge amount of time a player must spend resource farming. If anything, additional skill slots will spread a single player’s efforts thinner than if they focused their efforts on a single goal.

Naturally, 5 people working together will always be able to progress at a far better rate than a single player- that is how a level playing field should work. If a single player could keep up with 5… that would reek of p2w.

8 Likes

It could also mean that that single player has way too much time on his/her hands and the other 5 are really rubbish at computer games :rofl:

6 Likes

I am being serious when I say this.

I won when I threw backer money at this game so I have something to dump hundreds of hours of time into. To me… everyone is winning who plays this game because of us backers. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Nay. Everyone is winning cause Boundless is amazing. We had very little to do with it other then being the testers/backers. It’s all the devs who deserve the credit for everything. :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

The extra plots might be p2w. Sure, you still need to build on them to gather prestige, but it is not about the prestige, it is about the option to claim huge swathes of land before or faster than anyone else just by paying money. It does not matter if you build them up fast or not, they are claimed and thus lost to everyone else.

I once met a guy, we realized we were playing the same smartphone game, and then he casually told me that he dumped 4k euros in it out of the petty cash. Now imagine me and that guy from switzerland competing for the same region of land. There is some beautiful spot and both of us come to it at the same time, deciding that we want it to be our home/settlement/whatever. He dumps a few thousands in it and can suddenly claim the whole continent in the time I merely got out my pick and started gathering a handful of ore.

Basically depends on how much space there is in total. If there is so many planets that you can easily have a village somewhere and need to walk 10 minutes until you find the next one, okay, basically enough space for everyone. But if planets and thus potential plots are severely limited compared to what every player might want to own I do not like the plots 4 moneys.

Personally I would first like to gather a decent amount of plots and then search a landscape to claim instead of instantly claiming a small patch and expanding it because some people might just decide to set up camp all around me and then I could basically search a new spot. And during this “plot gathering” time I fear that people who pay may already claim most of the planet’s interesting spots.

3 Likes

No matter how much land someone claims - winning in this game is not defined, really. To be more precised it’s defined by players themselves.

You can have a small base somewhere and do only one thing (maybe mining or gathering flowers or hunting) and selling your goods to others to be able to buy some cool tools or materials from others. And you can call yourself a winner.

Competition for prestige is the only official and regulated (measured) way to claim winning in the game, but even then it only matters to those who try to claim the most prestigious city title. Whoever wins that, cannot end game for others and make them feel defeated.

For that reason any paid features in Boundless are really only Pay To Play Easier.

3 Likes

It’s okay, that’s already taken care of, there’s already a system in place that will generate a new planet equivalent to the one that was mostly plotted once the unplotted land drops below a certain number and if its a starter world then the new one becomes the default starter.
The universe grows with the playerbase so this should never really be a problem! :+1:

4 Likes

Oh well, then my concern is void I guess :slight_smile:

1 Like

It is not about winning or whatever. It is about liking a spot of land, exactly that spot of land right there, and then loosing it to another player that leaves you in the dust to it because he does not have to grind his plots like you do but does simply buy them.
I don’t care about prestige and gathering and whatnot, just that a certain patch of land goes to the highest bidder and not the most determined player.

But if planets that are becoming too crowded get a sibling… No problem, just jumping on to the new one and look there for something similar I guess.

4 Likes

@crypticworlds @boundmore @Havok40k Sorry I was trying to convey my thoughts but it didn’t work. Thanks for the feedback in any case.

1 Like

Or maybe we didn’t express ourselves the best way - it’s so easy to want to say one thing and end up with others misunderstanding it.

Anyways - peaceful exchange of points of view is what matters.

2 Likes

Well put, speaking of conveying words xD

1 Like

The gleam club is a whole other issue we could probably get into though :wink:

EDIT: My mistake! I thought it included gleam somewhere (what a silly name)! Nevermind balance is restored.

Kilbo, no worries. When September rolls around and everyone is able to jump into the game after the pre-launch event, the reality of The Exchange and Cubits will come full circle. I am sure anyone who jumps into the game will realize that it isn’t as bad as everyone initially might think.

1 Like

It would be interesting to know what sort of prices extra plots will be in real money.

1 Like

A very vaild and informative point…

However, i beleive it can ben done with ZERO PTW (extra plots)

And this is how… Think about it… half of the game is centered around trade and reward system right? then one option would be… non builders who would like an extra plot or two could BUY them for in game currency from other players who have an EXCESS of plots to place (i mean whi is ever going to fully build 2k + plotts as themselves? I mention that number because i know a lot of long standing players have at least this ammount @Jiivita :wink: )

Or maybe also as trade for items/help E.G Hey Bob… if you mine me 50k coal… i will trade you 50 plotts… and etc

As for the other systems now peaking through as essentially PTW features (buy m,ore skills… buy more character slots) etc… with the first and second one… has it not been rumored *from @james * himslef that everything (come release) will be able to be done by a single character (and he is even thinking about removing the other 2 spare slots due to this?)

But i agree… PTW features in a game like this will NOT WORK and make this game fail heavily! the point of calling something BOUNDLESS is to make it Boundless. i mean its not actually called Become Boundless after buying everythinng is it?

1 Like

i would like to re-stress that you cannot buy more skills

You can buy an extra skill set
BUT all the points that you have spent in the first skill set cannot be used in subsequent skill sets.

Reaching Lv50 will give you enough points to fill one set (100 points) if you wanted to fill all 3 skill sets you would need to level to 150 O.o

3 Likes

What this guy said

1 Like