Say No to Pay To Win

It is utterly useless. . . The only things that always respawn in the same places are blocks like gleam, rock, and trees.

1 Like

I stood up for him first.

Proof?! the proof is in the exchange. you buy plots for real money via cubits. each plot has a set value of $0.30, which was set by the devs. Wherefore, the plots in game have a real money value. I can’t show you any transactions that occur off line, nor have I taken any screens of people who have posted signs instructing people to contact them for details on certain plots they own as I support people taking full advantage of the market these devs have created to enrich themselves. Any extra content that you pay for in game, that can be traded, has a real market value. This is economics 101.

1 Like

Oh man…

Okey, if we are going to go that route, than plot inventory slots are worth $0.30, not plots in game. And those you actually cannot sell. Going from plot inv slots to plots and assigning them the same value won’t work in any kind of economics 101 i know. :wink:

On the other hand, I was sure you said that someone actually sold plotted land to someone else for real money.
That would be completely different bag of worms.

So the way “selling” plots work ( from what you seem to be describing) does not actually work that way. If I had 10/10 plots, and I put down 2 plots, I have 8/10 left. If I “sell” that land, I have to unplott, so that the other person can put down their own beacon. The plots would return to my own unused bunch, and I’ll again have 10/10 plots. To beakon an area, you already need to have those bought, and anytime you unplott an area, they return to you.

If you are talking about renting plots, I would not advise that, since the original owner can just take your money and reverse the permissions, leaving you high and dry.

I hope this helps clear some stuff up.

The exchange doesn’t really work, though, because we get free cubits in the game. Are you saying they give us free money per level? Sounds like a good deal to me.

2 Likes

because this game is not pvp there is no “win” condition. you are looking at pay-to-win far too literally, especially since pay-to-win is also used to describe paying real money to progress in a game. In this case, plots alone are a form of progression. The additional characters and skillsets also add to that advantage. You are looking at it far too narrowly, which is your problem not mine. Plots might not make you “win” the game but they certainly give you advantages and/or abilities that others just don’t or won’t reasonably have without devoting themselves to this game like a part time or full time job, and it isfor that reason that this game IS irrefutably pay to win. Seriously can someone please give a better example then their own anecdotes on how they alone no-lifed this game to have a less-limited experience than those who opened their wallets at any level. “well i did it” is not an argument relevant to shady business practices.

no, they don’t give us “free money” think of it like being given "store credit. yes it’s worth real money and can be used for real money purchases but only within the store that gave it to you. In this case, it’s the actual game currency, not those funny-money coins, it’s the “store credit” they give you as a hook to repeatedly send you to their store, which they force you to go to just to get your level up “rewards”. However, what makes the exchange even more shady and a sham is that everything you can buy with real money and/or “store credit” has no actual use or value outside of their own game. It would be like going to walmart and buying tires for your car with store credit but only being allowed to use them in their parking lot, even if you spent real money. In the real world we call that a scam, when someone convinces you to give them money for essentially nothing. What makes this a scam is that actual game play and game play mechanics are ultimately gated off behind a paywall.

you would never do well in business with that mindset. real estate is all about location, you know, as in “location, location, location”. the basic gist is thus: claim plots in highly desired areas, in bulk and/or in such a way to make other plots unreasonably to build/manage and then make offers to real, interested parties (players) to offer to unclaim the plot so that they can claim it for a fee. Really no different than actual property markets. One could even pick plots right in the middle of someone else’s building project (for example some sucker who believes they’ll be able to get those last few plots they need in just a few more levels) and basically hold the plot hostage for a fee (supply/demand, that plot just suddenly became high in demand). And then there are those players who may even offer to buy plots from other players to expand their own projects. point being, it’s all about location. No one is buying up property in Antarctica, but it sells fast in New York, L.A., and Boston. TL;DR, it’s all about location.

Yeah…I consider myself a decent person and would never do something like that. I would never “hold hostage” something that another needs in a GAME…that is just…I think I’m at a loss for words for how little respect I have for people that would even attempt something like that…in a bloody GAME.

If that is the type of person I have to be to “do well in business”, I will never go into business…

1 Like

It’s not free money. You can’t exchange it for money…you can’t even exchange it between you own alts. They are alt bound and only for that alt to use…hence I can’t lvl some alt over and over and give all those cubits to a lvl 50 character.

Use 'em how you like. You have the opportunity to acquire them infinitely. Use 'em for plots, customizations, cleanse points or character resets, whatever floats your boat. The skill trees are kinda pointless until you are well over lvl 50 and have reserve skill points.

Lol…did I just get suckered into a Troll?

3 Likes

no i’m just unable to reply. Finally, I can. i liked your response because even though i see the problem, I agree with you. This is a problem the devs created for their own gains, putting aside the actual game to chase pure, short-term profits. they are gambling while hoping their avarice doesn’t push people away or bring in such bad elements that the game and their market collapses. This is a great game with awesome potential, but that potential is being strangled by the devs’ and publisher’s greed.

Incorrect, the plot inventory slot is only the permitted amount of potential sales. More plot slots, more potential sales. It’s the difference between running a small stand on the side of the road and walmart; who do you think has the potential for the most money? the slots are not what you sell, it’s the individual plots you claim which in turn have real money value because there is a real price tag attached to the slot used to claim that plot of land. so hopefully that clarifies that it is all the same, you by the slots to sell claimed plots. think of it like this, each slot is worth $0.30, if you get the 15,000 cubits bundle you can buy a bulk 500 plots for less than getting them at full price. So take those plots, claim highly desired areas in strategic ways to coerce players into spending real money (say $1.00 per claimed plot). after selling 100 plots you’ve made your money back, the other 400 are pure profit, after that firs round of sales you now have money to grow your market potential via buying more cubits to buy more plots (a very very real world way to pay-to-win, you have to spend money to make money). Think the devs will do anything to stop this? think again, they built this very market and it will allow them and Square Enix to make money hand over fist on ever expanding “planets”, they may not have intended the plots to be traded with real money, but they won’t stop it as long as the gravy train keeps flowing. This concern has been raised on forums numerous times and the devs seem especially keen to avoid discussing the matter to any degree. They may not like it, but they also don’t not like it either. Again, they built this market into their market and buying and selling “plots” between players is simply just playing the game as intended, believe it or not.

That itself is not a bad thing (kudos, really), but for everyone making a preservation per se, there will be an equal amount considering ways to turn a profit with the same system.

Players cannot sell plots to each other for real money or even cubits or coin and there are no discounts for buying plots in bulk.

2 Likes

10 Likes

Hey be my guest and pay wonderstruck a bunch of money, then try sell them back to other players for real money. Get a swift ban from the game for RMT and then the devs can still use that money to improve the game your now banned from. Nice idea.

Another bonus, you won’t be able to moan endlessly on the forum and spam us with these claims of things that don’t actually happen. But by all means. My 1500 plots over 10 toons could be used to be a pest. But then im only going isolate myself from the community and ruin the game for myself.

8 Likes

Dear oortlings,

P2W is when you can buy things that give you an advantage over others. Since Boundless has no PVP, or no real end-game goal, what is winning?

For the ones who didn’t notice yet:

1) I can’t buy coins. Which means, I can’t spend my real money to become an in-game magnate. But even if I could, what would your problem be? My millions of coins would be spent on materials which I would use to build great stuff. Materials sold, probably, by people who don’t spend real money for in-game currency. People who would earn my millions through their hard work and time spent on gathering and crafting.

2) I can’t buy skill points. Which means, I can’t magically become a God with a card swipe. But even if I could, what would your problem be? My maxed out skills would by no means interfere with your game play. My 1-hit-kill bows or 1-hit-destroy hammers wouldn’t really stop you from experiencing the game as it is meant to be experienced. It’s not like I could tear apart whole planets, or hunt mobs down to extinction. On the contrary, if I had all those skills maxed out, I’d probably be able to help a lot of people, because there’s nothing else you can do when you’ve reached that point.

3) I CAN buy plots. Which means, I CAN plot entire planets, provided I’m crazy enough to buy hundreds of thousands of plots instead buying this new Mercedes C220 I saw the other day. Provided that I’m careless enough to spend all my money in-game just to troll people instead of using it to pay my rent and feed my son. But even if I was, what would your problem be? There are shitloads of planets, and there will be even more. No troll, no matter how big of a troll he/she is, will never spend real cash to ■■■■ people off. Especially when their trolling can be easily avoided. I’ve spent money on plots, and I will keep doing it. Why? Because I want to build something great in the future, and I need plots for that. But guess what? I will also need a ton of resources. And I can’t get those resources easily because point 1 and 2. And if my settlement becomes big and prestigious enough to absorb yours (which means I need those resources, godammit), it’s how the game is designed to be. The same game you picked and love playing.

4) I CAN buy awesome character apparel. Which means I will look hella cool, and I will stand out from the crowd. But even if I couldn’t, what would the problem be? I’d still experience the game just like everyone else. Just because I wear a golden crown and some full-sleeve tattoos, I can still do the same things you do in-game.

5) I CAN buy Gleam Club. Which means I get all the appearance perks, plus infinite beacon fuel. Is infinite beacon fuel a problem? Absolutely not! The only difference is, I won’t have to spend 10 mins every 4 weeks to fuel my beacons. I can just insta fuel them for 180 days, without having to worry about logging in the game in case I am too busy with my family or work life. But even if I couldn’t, what would the problem be? You’d still be able to read the same non-sense I type in the chat, you’d still not be able to build on my plots, because I’d just fuel them.

6) I AM an early access backer. Which means I got some extra perks. I see people getting mad at this because we discovered the game earlier and we paid more than the actual price just so we can support the dev team. RIP the ones who paid $4000 to do the same things I or you do btw. But those $4000 or whatever the highest price was, helped shape the game you play right now.

My point is, in Boundless, they only win when you consider yourself a loser.

Are you unhappy with the Pay to Do the Same Thing Faster? Just don’t pay for it. It’s not like James is gonna knock on your door and snatch your Steam Wallet. It’s not like we’re treated different just because we pay for things.

15 Likes

My appologies. I thought I was being sufficiently sarcastic :stuck_out_tongue: