Seriously, there is an attitude issue on these servers

2 Likes

If I used Morgan Freeman, I would believe everything from every post. That probably wouldn’t turn out well.

8 Likes

Seems to be correct after just trying it out.

5 Likes

Now I can’t help myself from doing it.

1 Like

:laughing: this is rapidly turning into my favourite topic

TBH in the midst of everything going on this was the moment when it wort of felt like he lost it and decided to start “trolling back” at the users:

The conversation I had with you as shortly after.

Thank you Simoyd i tied and tried to find that conversation, i scanned like, a months worth of release notes threads and several others.

I honestly have no idea what happened at the back end to get us from the quote linked there, to the statements made after the announcement.

I wasn’t even bothered when they didn’t announce the reduced crafting time I told my friends to chill because it was obviously going to be “part of the deal”. Sure enough.

I just don’t understand how it suddenly came about to be that this is “a necessary change for the health of the game due to a massive exploit”. This dialog could have been managed to a much more reasonable end.

As for the tone of the forum overall, there are some nasty players but, I’ve come from much worse. I’ve gotten in one really nasty argument here and while I don’t interact with those guys much, I’m not seeing any sign of them trying to carry it into some sort of vendetta or anything. I generally don’t get nasty with an individual until they start making names or directing rude remarks at me. Usually. But it happens.

This could have been handled differently.

Anyways I’ve participated in some VERY heavily modded forums and they’re nice but useless. There is a middle of the road and there should be something to do when someone gets so hot they’re blasting out pages and pages of personal attacks.

But for the most part what you’re going to find here is people who care passionately enough to try and be heard above the din and in regards to often polarizing issues. Trying to force a stop to this is probably not going to do anything but frustrate the person doing the forcing.

It would just take one aggressive mod with the proper directive to turn this forum into a quiet, happy advertisement for the game. When that happens, you know the developers are done with “community input”.

Savor the passion, and police yourself. Use the forum controls instead or your words, if that’s how you prefer. The same troll that wants 100 angry posts and nothing else will vanish in a minute if (s)he is repeatedly muted by the group with few people rising to the bait.

Thanks for the links… Yeah I looked at every one of James’ responses in those threads. Not one constitutes as nasty or unprofessional.

The closest that might consider a challenge is the “cunning” comment - which is clearly a developer asking people for any cunning or original ideas on how to solve a complex problem.

The other was “It’s bizarre to want a game riddled with exploits” which makes complete sense to acknowledge the fact that anyone would want a game designed that way. Especially from a person promoting a view that is not considering certain other parties that do consider the activity an exploit.

So I still don’t see any snarky comments from the people making the game as the OP suggested.

I understand what you’re saying these forums are lenient, I haven’t been part of many but seems to me private community ran forums are WAY more strict but game public forums are more of a free for all. Just seems like a natural occurance, the developers won’t have mods míni-mod every single comment, I think keeping them like this allows the community to share even if at times it seems chaotic.

Player or community ran forums usually end up very organized and maintain nobody steps out of line but that discourages people from posting much eventually leaving the forums dead.

1 Like

Fair enough, I saw an off-topic trollpost in response to a well thought out and carefully composed post from a person who is typically very friendly and helpful both in game and on the forums.

It left me with real questions regarding the stability of the game.

Obviously difference in interpretation, and varying levels of knowing the people involved have an impact on these things, as well.

The cunning comment I really think was in a good context. The word bizarre probably wasn’t the best choice of words. But, I do think it comes from confusion at a base level. Look at was being responded to… In the perspective of a developer that is charged with balance and other things - having another promote how nerfs are bad and remove fun is kind of bizarre… Personally I would have picked the word “confusing” instead.

But even developers are human so we should understand that they can’t always be perfect word smiths in the stress they face.

2 Likes

I give you my unqualified agreement on this for sure.

2 Likes

I think a vibrant discussion is good. However, certain people have a habit of threadcr@pping and posting non constructive personal attacks. If a few people could improve their people skills a tiny bit (and we could all use some improvement anyway, myself included), we could get a lot more done.

2 Likes

Many years ago I took psychology and human behavior classes for fun and because it interests me.
To this day I find those classes very useful. It helps me read ppl, gauge reactions, know appropriate responses, as well as many other things.
Not to mention it helped a great deal with personal growth and mentality. Why might I be feeling the way I do? Is my response appropriate? How should I approach this? What can I do in this situation?

The great thing about today is there’s a lot of those resources available on the internet for free. Just read some articles if you have a few open moments.

This is going to sound really cheesy, but for fun I took my love language quiz and signed up for the email subscription, which gives great advice for every relationship, including family, friends, even coworkers. Granted most of it is geared to your SO, but what I originally thought was something I’d forget about 2months down has given me lots of useful social interaction advice and ideas.

Now that I’ve said something embarrassing I’ll shut up. :no_mouth:

5 Likes

hahah james said something confusing now the dev’s are is snarky :smile:
i use to arrive at work in morning and read the daily journal to read something amusing and interesting
i dont do that no more :grinning:
ow people some months ago james was sharky ( isthats what you guys call it? :rofl: ) to me cause i wanted my “weather off” option back
he said that weather makes the the game cooler
we should kill james :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

@the-moebius is rude lolol

1 Like

Sometimes you need to spit a little fire to get your point across. Also, you’ll make more friends (real ones, not powder puffing cheerleaders, fanning each other’s woes) if you argue with someone until an agreement is reached.

1 Like

I prefer the “kill them with kindness” approach

:grin:

4 Likes

:0 but killing them with kindness makes friends and eventually we will reach the friends list cap/limit.

3 Likes

I assume these statements are sarcasm and you don’t actually think this? I feel like most denizens of Boundless are peaceful & want to enjoy their time in-game.

2 Likes

I always just go with Mr Rogers personally. Even bad things he tends to explain well and very matter of fact.

3 Likes