Shields: let's talk about that!

At long last, I get to check one of my long time top requests off of my wish list! The art work we have seen so far is stellar, as usual!

So, in case you live under a rock, or are so busy mining rocks that this is the first you have seen of shields, let me bring you up to speed with everything the devs have told us:
Error 404, file not found.
Shields are a surprise reveal! All we know are that they exist, and these are the only images yet released to us!

As we have no idea how shields will be utilized in game, I figured I’d kick 2020 off wild speculation and ideas for how shields might work, and what we would like to get out of them!

Firstly- I want to request that shields should be a purely defensive item. We have lots of existing options for ranged attack, and I feel like tossing a shield around like Captain America is both a bit redundant and a bit cliche. The “Tough as Nails” Iron/Gold Fist already fills the role of defensive ranged weapon.

Secondly- I’d like shield play to have both active and passive defensive properties. Raising a shield to perfectly timed defense should effectively block all incoming damage from the front, where having a shield equipped but not raised should only occasionally block damage, or just a % of damage.

Thirdly- there should be a tradeoff to having a shield equipped. My personal choice would be to have shields greatly increase stamina drain (not to be confused with hunger). Furthermore, blocking damage with shields should also impact stamina, so that a tank player cant just plant themselves as an immovable object forever. Eventually, you’re going to need to move, and you might want enough stamina to use a grapple hook to escape.

If you dont read anything else, read this:

This thread is for wild speculation and suggestions. If you don’t like someone’s suggestions or ideas, just ignore it. Please, I don’t want to see another thread boil over into pedantic arguments and senseless bickering.

Happy New Year!

37 Likes

Is this brand new art?

2 Likes

Heck yes it is!
Edit: No, this is Patrick!

1 Like

I expect we see the Warp Wraith coming as well.

I hope we get Lances too:

12 Likes

I feel a good mechanic for the shield would be also a bash mechanic. A way for close quarters combat to interrupt an attack or stun an enemy briefly to either attack or flee.

13 Likes

You know what I’d like to see shields also do? Minimize fall damage… I’m imagining falling off a cliff, then landing on my shield like a sled and taking off down the hill. :wink:

Love the shield images, so awesome, and Happy New Year all!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

14 Likes

Maybe they could make it so if we wanted our guild logo could be displayed on the front of the shield. Banner raised call to arms!

8 Likes

It’d be cool if we could bounce back an attack (maybe with metal shields or a certain forge)

Example: Cuttletrunk/Spitter shoots at you, you raise a certain shield, and it bounces the attack back at the enemy

8 Likes

And just to say…if you have a shield…you gotta have a sword type weapon…am I right?!?

7 Likes

I would love to have the shield be able to be mounted to walls also for decoration purposes. That would benefit both people that want hunting updates and builder updates.

Also…sorry for the spam posts :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

10 Likes

I’m looking forward to forging these, if that’s a thing? Maybe fall damage boon, hard as nails of course.
Maybe have boons that defend against impulse or kinetic damage, but not both? But most of all though , I want to slide down hills, whilst sat in my new sledge!! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’d like to be able to forge one with aoe and get a bubble

1 Like

Awesome! One more step closer to my stamplar! We already got the instants and HoTs!

1 Like

I’m more interested in what the type differences will be. They all look great but it’d really suck if the metal ones were the “best” and therefore the others are barely ever used. Especially since the wood/stone ones can be crafted in so many colors! Wood is traditionally the weakest available material for obvious reasons but maybe there is a situational use or play-style for wood to be preferable?

I would love to see augments for shields! Particularly new or permanent shield-only ones.
Cosmetic block slot! Drop in a block and it adds something cool to the design, e.g. umbris, spark link, warp stone, slide, octigrid, gems, gleam!

3 Likes

:joy: sledding on our shields. I love it! lol

4 Likes

Forges:
Auto Block (to make it so you increase the passive protection visa vi Havok’s original post)
The Armor Forges that are on grapples right now
Atmospheric protection
Fall Damage Reduction
This is a Boat - Remove all protection, and you can use the shield to swim much faster, and you don’t/can’t sink

8 Likes

LOL, love this one! And you don’t sink!

3 Likes

Yes, edited.

1 Like

a little offensive use would also be nice
for example: if you lift it in movement at the right time you push away enemies and do minimal damage or better give them an slight stun that prevent attacking (wildstock from charge hopper fom explode …)

2 Likes

Maybe you can put a bomb on it and it blows up the first time something hits you with the shield raised? A focused blast pointed forward?

1 Like