Skill Trees: Megathread and Discussion

Health Regen Bonus I-IV and Stamina Regen Bonus I-IV have a typo^^ it should be regeneration and not regeneation.
Sneak Attack II has another typo. Ceatures instead of creatures.

Not exactly a typo but something that bothers me. Sometimes it’s “increase” sometimes it’s “increases”. I’d really like to have either one of them for everything^^

What exactly is threat? How does it affect the encounter with a creature?

As far as I’m concerned there are only 2 things which are really new in this tree to be unlocked. Libra for more information and Light Source to be the light^^ Everything else is just an increase of something that is already there.

While we still have one tree to go, am I right in the assumption that it’ll be possible to unlock every new thing with one character? (Not trying to start another discussion about cap or no cap, just curious because we don’t know yet how many skill points everything costs or how many well have with the cap)

Also some of the connections are a bit… strange^^ I mean why does the Inventory space require a further compass range, more enemy information or health regen?
I can understand that it is really difficult to make a tree out of so many different skills which have not that much in common.
It just seems strange if you look at it and think: “Oh I’d like to have more inventory! But… I need health regen for that? 0.o”

1 Like

Thanks for spotting those. Should be sorted now.

Threat is how much of a threat you are to that creature, so it is more likely to attack the person who has accumulated the most threat.

A lot of this is due to limitations with our current UI plan for this. Right now the skill screen would not be much larger than the inventory screen.

1 Like

According to the “Traits tree”

• You said there will be a “cap” of acquirable skill points -> The XP Bonuses at the end of the paths are useless then.
  • Again there are too few variations on the skills or constraints between different skills.
  • What is the use of “warp distance” ? Can you warp to further planets or is it only on a planet ?
  • What about “attack speed” or “walking speed” ?

Side question: Till now I didn’t found anything according to “automation”. Is automation still planned or is the concept dropped ? This would be a shame in my opinion :frowning:

3 Likes

Wow, thanks for all the positive feedback @everyone
(I guess all those years of playing RPGs finally pay off :sweat_smile:)

Damaging a creature generates thread.
Creatures attack the player with the most thread.
Skilling “Thread” or “Sneak Attack” adds a multiplier to your thread generation.

3 Likes

That was the thinking. You can only create warps to close range planets. You can still go through warps and portals to further planets, but you cannot create them.

Attributes will handle this area.

Will find out more on this.

I mean I know the basics of Aggro/Threat generation as you described it but wasn’t sure how the devs implemented it in Boundless. Just wanted to be sure^^

@luke-turbulenz You say it’s more likely that creatures attack the person with the most Threat. Does that mean even if one player has a lot more Threat than every other person in the vicinity, it’s possible that the creatures target other players? And worst/best case, no creature targets that players?^^

The player threat is only taken into account per player action towards or around that creature. Threat will never be less than 1 if a player has gotten a creature’s attention.

so eventually all things you do will cost stamina (except walking)?

That’s the idea. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Day, 5, in the Boundless Skill Trees: Megathread.

Today’s skill tree is the final skill tree. Say hello to the Attributes tree. :slight_smile:

After seeing this last skill tree I think it’s almost impossible that there aren’t enough skill points for you to unlock everything “new” with just one character. Without counting I’d estimate about 60-70% of all the skills we can unlock are just enhancements of already existing things.

So am I correct in the assumption that one character will be able to unlock everything “new”? (new means in this case things like: more information on creatures, crafting recipies, being a light source etc.)

when im max level do i get enough points to max out vitality, endurance, power and agility? or how many attributes one person can have maxed?

do every tree gets they’r own skill points or everything cost same more or less?

Jack of all trades, master of none springs to mind.

This will need to be balanced, but if you wanted you can invest in all attributes, but you won’t have enough to invest in other trees effectively. Also, skill points cost more based on how deep they are in the tree and how valuable they are.

For a quick example, vitality +3 cost 5 skill points, vitality +30 costs 100. At max level for all professions you get get, stress this is an example again, 1000 points.

i see, sounds fun but need to be well balanced. i think there needs to be way to reset skill tree since people don’t know how many points they can invest to certain builds because when they realize that they got no enough points for a certain build they want to reset and make it work differently and it would punish too much if the only way is to make a new character. and the skill tree reset should not be done only by microtransactions :slight_smile:

1 Like

While I agree with you that this would be “jack of all trades, master of none”, it doesn’t answer my question :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Unless you don’t know yet if there will be enough skill points to unlock everything “new” or if you might add some other things. Then my question would be for the current trees we see^^

Yep, we want this too. I’ve updated the FAQ in the main topic.

A lot of this will be down to balancing and play testing. There is a background thought process that everyone should be allowed to do the basics like mining, crafting, etc but only a few can master an area. Hopefully we can refine this before it goes into the game in the development team and by using the forums, then once the system is in the game we are just changing the cost of skills and balancing their perks rather than making wholesale reworks.

2 Likes

In general as mentioned before the trees feel a bit 2dimensional, most of the stuff we get from them are simple stat increases, having a bit more variation the in what kind of boost the skill trees give would make them much more interesting.

3 Likes

I agree with @KuroKuma, the dependencies are strange. I see myself forced to have a higher compass range.

Also I agree with @Heurazio. I guess the xp+ in the end of each skill line should result in a benefit for someone who chose his path. If I want to be a dealer, I invest much in tax decrease. On the other hand (as you also introduced @luke-turbulenz) I assume, that points necessary to achieve higher skills increase.
So actually, when I have my first tree done, I guess I am very far with my used up points and cannot aquire much more… so what for faster experience gain?
Either put that skill together with a level 2 or 3 skill so that 4 is achieved faster… or I’d probably not skill it.

So far I am still missing skills suitable for explorer! What is with higher view distance? Faster movement speed? nothing about location markers also!

What is with Oort reading? Is that even a concept still? or is everyone able to read who can use boundless wiki?

What is with machine wear? (Edit: I oversaw durability) Why not have a skill in the “machine line” that reduces wear off or an ultimate ability that you can reduce wear by 50% every 180 minutes?

Some very innovative concepts of boundless are respected too less i think.

Edit:
I also miss skills which play with elemental powers. Weapons, Armor, tools, machines, engines should benefit from it.

That’s good to know. There is likely going to be some movement in these trees based on the feedback we’ve had. Creep is likely going to be moved into the founder tree now along with the compass upgrades.

We’re actually seeing these as upgrades crafters can apply to those items.

Agility increases your movement speed[quote=“Smoothy, post:99, topic:5448”]
nothing about location markers also!
[/quote]

Was in an early version but was removed. One to revisit again I think.[quote=“Smoothy, post:99, topic:5448”]
higher view distance?
[/quote]

I am guessing this is not a compass increase but a viewing system like a scope? [quote=“Smoothy, post:99, topic:5448”]
What is with Oort reading?
[/quote]

Currently this is not a skill but something players learn by themselves outside the game.

With how the attribute tree is set up, it seems easier and more flexible to just have the ability to convert skill points to attribute points and then have a standard stat wheel or something like that:

Or you know just give out attribute points when leveling up.

2 Likes