I’ve been discussing the current iteration of settlements with players, and there are some genuine concerns among the people I play with about how plotting is to be handled going forward. When I first stumbled across the Boundless trailer - the game had me the moment I saw that impressive themed city being built from the ground up. I envisioned myself and others building something likewise - or grander still.
The reality of settlement building (at least at the moment) is counter to what I envisioned watching the trailer, and somewhat anarchistic. It’s essentially a free-for-all on plotting and building. Build whatever you like, where you like - as it seems is intended;
I have to admit, I’m a little disheartened by this. It seems as though the proposed vision - and please correct me if I’m wrong - is either rent a server, or live in a candyland of disorder.
This gives me a glimmer of hope though, and seeing as this is a suggestion post, I’m not just here to vent my concerns, but to offer a proposed system for your consideration;
Allow Clan Beacons an option to soft claim (reserve) surrounding land based on the prestige value of said beacon. I’ll just throw out some random values here, but something like;
- Outpost (1 plot reservation border around the beaconed area)
- Hamlet (2 plot reservation border around the beaconed area)
- Village (3 plot reservation border around the beaconed area)
- Town (4 plot reservation border around the beaconed area)
- City (5 plot reservation border around the beaconed area)
- Great City (6 plot reservation border around the beaconed area)
This way people could still play on the live servers, without renting a server, and create Great Cities to their liking, without having their screenshots ruined by a giant Pikachu beside their Taj Mahal.
Thanks for reading.