Spaceships and Travel Overhaul

I should say that @Xaldafax totally gave me the idea for the no-skill atmosphere equipment! :heart:

I really think that would be a big interesting thing for skill builds and stuff. I’d say armor and resistances are the same thing.

1 Like

I like this thread!

2 Likes

This thread likes you! :heart:

1 Like

Rumply, I think that it is possible. It would be no different than having a loading screen for a portal or warp. Once you hit the 250 some sky limit you could be prompted to enter space only if it recognizes that you’re in a spaceship of some kind. It’s probably possible but would require a lot of coding, design, and engineer work. Probably would need to change things to the engine as well.

Basically open space wouldn’t be any different than a world but just a lot larger of an area to explore. I remember @james mentioning airships a long time ago and if they ever get implemented I do see them making worlds we currently have feel even more small than they are.

I just don’t think it’s possible currently with the game. There most likely would need to be some dramatic changes made to the game before it’s possible. If anything, I’d love to have a spaceship with weapons that allows me to defend myself against space creatures.

1 Like

Oh yeah, don’t get me wrong. I know it’s not a small thing. Engine change seems like it shouldn’t have to happen, but maybe. The “world” would probably need to not loop, right? Like same rectangular map, but no edge looping. You could just stop generating stuff on edges that don’t lead to planets, and not allow any plotting. So players could travel in that direction forever, but they’re not going to get anywhere.

People could even compete to see how far in to the void they get before they have to abandon ship or die because their oxygen ran out.

I think it would make very little sense for a spaceship in a futuristic scifi game like Boundless to mysteriously run out of oxygen. I would think that part of the spaceship’s design and functionality would be to create a way to recycle and produce oxygen.

There also isn’t anything currently in the game that would allow for a player to survive in open space outside of a spaceship. There’s a lot of things that probably would need to be figured out first before implementing such a feature as spaceships, space exploration/travel, and other aspects of space. This isn’t even including plot claiming areas in space and creating a space station.

I think the entire idea would bring a lot to the table for Boundless and really spike it above some of the other voxel games out on the market today and at least compete with future voxel games.

Yeah that is why I think we need some clothes crafting, armor, and other things like that in place. Even if they weren’t linked to space it would be nice to have sooner than later.

Is there any space voxel MC type games out there?

There’s one that’s suppose to come out on Steam coming out later this year called Starbase. It’s a hybrid vector/voxel based MMO.

I haven’t heard of any others but then again most voxel games are a complete waste of time even talking about IMO.

1 Like

I think having to fuel something to generate atmosphere is perfectly fine, I mean none of the other machines in the game have infinite fuel/durability, so a machine that made oxygen could be the same. It could last a really long time, mind, just not forever without some upkeep.

Even if we DID have infinite atmosphere generation, people could compete based on dying of hunger or something.

Starbase does look good, but you don’t go to planets (they have it in their long term goals, but not at EA release) and I’m definitely imaging something similar to their core gameplay for Boundless.

I’ll add I had this idea before I knew about Starbase!

I think if the game gets to the point where it would get something as complex as spaceship designing, building, and managing to then go travel in space it should require some sort of effort involved. I am not talking about Centraforge level of effort or farm plot design effort or building a new base level of effort. I am talking about managing various systems on a spaceship, such as oxygen levels, ship’s power core, hull integrity, navigation, weapon systems, etc. including repairs to any of those systems and points of interest on a spaceship.

Part of why I am so attracted to the idea behind Starbase is it’s a game that lets you build and design your own base and spaceship. There’s actual PvP in the game, unlike this one, and has a lot more actual depth in its gameplay when comparing Boundless and Starbase Steam pages alone and the information on the store pages. It’s pretty clear which one is going to open the player up to more creativity. At least that’s my opinion.

I still like Boundless but I do find it a little lacking in multiple areas. Doesn’t mean the game isn’t bad or turning into a game that can compete with what is out on the market and what will be in the future. It’s just a pile of incompleteness to me.

I think if there was some sort of actual element that allowed explorer type players to really have an end game then I think it would attract more people into the game. It’s the one area that seems to have been neglected more than every other aspect of the game.

Just some of my opinions which probably aren’t very popular on these forums. Oh well. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

No, I like everything you said!

That’s why I’m saying there should be all kinds of difference system machines with fuel requirements and durability and stuff. I’d think you could make a small one person craft that could go to space, but if you wanted to go all the way to another planet, you’d need something larger that required more crew to manage, or at least an extremely well designed crafted ship.

Yeah I think the explorer part needs more in either dungeons or something. I get a lot of people like shops and MMO but we need more things that drive exploring beyond a search for “colors.” Not me mention I still think we need more support for solo play and building components.

1 Like

Yeah dungeons and/or something like I was talking about here would definitely help the terrestrial exploration awards.

That’s the thing man. I don’t see the developers of this game giving us the ability to design, craft, and build our own spaceships. I feel like they will give us a single pre-fabricated model and that’s it. I honestly think if that’s what we’re getting for any sort of spaceship that we’d have to beg, bow and scrape for more spaceships instead of just giving us a more dynamic system and feature.

Another question is, does Boundless even need space exploration and ships and other features involved in such a system? Probably. The only complex things in the game are forging items and doing chisel work on a building project. Everything else is stupid easy to figure out. Not even farming was that complex.

If there was more to do in the game I wouldn’t think the game needs pvp. If I had plenty of PvE things to do that could keep me busy and not get bored after 2 or less hours of straight play then I’d be a lot more happy about where Boundless is.

The problem with bringing new content into the game that promote exploration is it has to be a large enough piece of content with enough depth to it that it would take the devs a larger amount of time to get to us compared to other pieces of content. So far the trend is to give us feature and content updates as quickly as possible instead of giving us larger updates which would result in less game updates as often. I’d rather get something like airships for planetary travel and exploration before spaceships if it could lead to us having space exploration and travel along with other aspects that would go with it. Even if it took 6 months for us to get it.

The larger the content update, the more time I think is okay for players to go without a mini-update. Look at the Warp Wraith. Where is it? It was announced under the project name of Hunter something like 6 to 8 months ago and we haven’t got it yet? What’s up with that? It isn’t going to be game changing so IMO it’s release to us is going to be disappointing after the “shiny new toy” effect fades away.

So the idea of spaceships and space travel really would completely change the way the game is played on the end game level. Players could find all kinds of resources out in space. I do think the prospect of creating a space station inside of an asteroid would be absolutely amazing.

1 Like

As long as people strictly view Boundless as a building game, this will never change.

It’s definitely suppose to be more than a building game. So far that’s really all it is. That’s kind of the fault of the developers though in picking and choosing what updates and pieces of content we get. If they released updates and content that followed some sort of pattern or theme then we’d probably be a lot further along in having a more complete feeling game.

What I mean by a pattern or theme is: crafting & building update/content, mob update/content, exploration update/content, combat, balance and bug fixes.

That’s just an example.

I definitely know it’s complex, but all I can do is think of things I’d like to see and explore the idea with my fellow citizens!

I’d prefer we talk about the idea in particular, because I definitely don’t want this to become about the pacing of updates and the presence of promised content. I think the team is doing a good job, I just know it can be hard to see beyond the scope of what you’ve had your face buried in for years and I’m always happy to explore new ideas from the comfort of my computer chair!

1 Like

Also, I love your contributions to the idea so far! Don’t let a trivial little thing like feasibility stop you from dreaming! :heart: :heart: :heart:

It was put on the back burner for focus on other things. Additionally it didn’t have the polish needed for it to be released. I don’t know if it is still on the back burner or not. I’d expect it probably has been moved forward some since they are in a smaller content release cycle now.

I would be fine with another 6-8 month cycle on a huge game change update that was for EVERYONE at all levels of play - like space. They could focus during that time on small QOL fixes and simple asset releases to keep us happy while we wait.

I think PVP would bring people in but there isn’t enough to keep and so many that don’t want it that we would basically be creating two different games. I think Titans would be great but isn’t for everyone so it isn’t fair to release right now since we still have too much mid-content that is missing. Like you said, something that really keeps people engaged on all levels.

1 Like

I also think this can and should be something that really escalates the multiplayer elements of the game. Spaceships should need crews of people working together to really function well, and then we could have builds out in the asteroids to act as refueling/repair stations to help ships making the long haul.

We could even sell ships, by condensing the build down to an object where you can look and see stats in a ui and decide if you want to buy and deploy it for use. Lots of impacts to the multiplayer elements!