SUPER CRAZY IDEA : Sanctum Re-Worked as Official Portal Hub

Ok ok, I know, this sounds super extra crazy with a heavy dose of madness sprinkled on top, but hear me out.

What if Wonderstruck re-worked the Sanctum to remove the need for PS / TNT portal network hubs?

The Light-Speed Device :

The Sanctum would be re-worked to look slightly more like a space-ship equipped with a device allowing it to move at light-speed through the Universe. Technically, it already is that, because it’s always orbiting the world you’re on. A device would allow you to select a world. You accept and the skybox changes with a FTL effect and the Sanctum is now suddenly orbiting the selected world and its neighboring worlds (so that you know they’re there).

The Warping Device :

Now the game has totems with warp augments, but I’d rather those were kept for opening warps while on the surface of a world. The Sanctum, however, would have a device that would require no warp augments, so you can open a temporary warp to the world of your choice at any time.

The device would change the camera and focus it on the world in orbit, and it would have a few controls that would allow you to “turn around the world” or rather accelerate the rotation speed of the world and the skybox so you can select the place you want to go to on the world with greater ease (whereas you currently have to wait for the world to turn on its own).

Exo-Alert

The command panel could have a screen flashing to indicate the emergence of a new exo-world. Now, for these, maybe it would be ok to say that the Sanctum’s device can’t get a lock on it or get close to it because it seems to be collapsing, and you have get to the nearby world and use a warp augment as we currently do.
But the Sanctum would still provide the info we usually desperately need and share on the forums : where, how long, etc. Again, the good players are doing some greatly detailed forum posts to answer these questions, but it shouldn’t be their job, the game should be doing that itself!

Why though?

This would mean that there would be no reason to have player-made portal hubs to connect worlds in networks that are usually mapped online or expressed in-game with the limited signs. The managers of the player hubs we have are talented and ressourceful, but I don’t think it’s what the game needs or deserves to be more player-friendly and more polished. The current system is still too complicated, IMHO.

We still have people writting posts saying “how do you go from here to there?” and we have to link network maps to them.

We still have portal hubs that are placed in specific zones (which gives the immediate neighbors of these portals a pretty big advantage over others), in some rare cases, some hubs can be owned or affiliated to dubious players/settlements that should not be representing Wonderstruck or Boundless.

We even have competiting networks!
I remember reading a dev saying that they weren’t expecting players to open that many portals, and that it is/could be an issue.
Why not give us a reason to close some big portals and only keep the ones that connect cities and shops together?

I’m expecting an overwhelmingly negative response, but since I’m apparently somewhat of a masochist, here goes :

• Yes, I would like this Sanctum rework!
  • Mmmh… I’m not sure, let’s discuss it below…
  • Meh, I don’t care if they do it…
  • No, I would not like this Sanctum rework!
  • HELL NO! WHY WOULD YOU EVEN-?! UUUUGH!
  • YO GOB, YA CRAZY, DUDE!

0 voters

2 Likes

Is a bit much but what I would like is that we add more portals ourself so I can rework it and have frames matching my locations I still would pay for use though just customize it with multiple frames as alternative to using menu to select the location

I may just be a bit tired, but won’t this essentially eliminate the use of all portals? Just go to sanctum and go to any place on any planet you want.

1 Like

Well, I would expect build owners would still want to connect with other builds depending on affilitations/partnership.

On your own, you would be likely to go where you need to go to accomplish an objective you’ve set for yourself, but people would have to make sure that where you go, you might find a portal to their place for convenience.

And it will certainly not eliminate the need for groups to open warps to move as a unit to a place.

I would like to keep sanctum as sanctum.

I would like to still see something like spaceships and portal enhancements such as skills, blinksec coils and other things that would take less time to travel between planets.

2 Likes

Player-run portal hubs are one of the best things about this game. I can’t imagine wanting to get rid of them entirely.

8 Likes

If I have a mall (shudders at the thought), and I want players to know how to get there, how do I explain it? Do I have to give the planet and coordinates? Are you going to put coordinates into some device in the sanctum so that you can arrive at a specific place?

Hmm… definitely an interesting take on the sanctums uses, but I’m sorry, I’m going to go with a simple no thank you. I understand where you’re coming from, but those portal networks have become too habitual of a use for me and I can’t see wanting to change that.

4 Likes

I could try and spend time to make a proper response, but I was expecting the ‘nopes’. I knew this was a long-shot. ^^

1 Like

This kind of goes against the sandbox element, generally the more control players have over the world, the better the sandbox is. So while I see how the current system could be seen as complicated and not user friendly, I think there are other solutions to this, like interplanetary GPS that uses open portals to plot a route for you. Make signs be able to set these waypoints (a location token slot in the sign?) so it’s more user friendly.

12 Likes

I think this might make the game more “easy” but it would take away the whole “user created free economy” element.

I’m all for ideas though. Portal hubs are the hardest part of this game to learn.

I think some sort of Trans planet gps like mentioned by mayu would be nice

I’d honestly settle for a united portal hub rather than a sanctum rework. If you don’t have to visit a location for a portal to somewhere you’d miss out on some pretty dope builds.

1 Like

I like this idea, but how?

1 Like

That’s the hard part, getting all these different people with different ideas to settle on something is soooo not going to work all that well. Sigh. Shame tho really.

2 Likes

That would be a lot of work from all the big guys pooling the individual networks all together into districts that they manage.

I mean I’m down. Like have a mall of portal hubs?

1 Like

Not a mall, more like a transit city per say

1 Like

Oh sorry I don’t do cities.

But if you want a mall you know who to call

Ghostbusters!

1 Like
Crazy unworkable suggestion thinking process

I actually considered a new Wonderstruck-made zone outside of any world, like the Sanctum, which would operate like the TNT Megahub with portals to all planets that would never be down, but then I thought “yeah but they have to be connected to other places owned by players, so that defeats the whole point”, so then I moved to using the warp thing in the Sanctum, which would have the advantage to allow the player to decide where he’s going to land on a world, instead of relying on where the owner of the hub thinks you should land.

Kinda makes me think I’d be more happy if a Portal Seeker Hub sent you to the TNT MegaHub with portals to all worlds instead of sending you to the Portal Seeker Hub of another world.
The MegaHub would be about connecting worlds. The PS Hubs would be about uniting all of a world’s builds at the same place.

Hey @Gorillastomp, conceptually-speaking, would that work? :arrow_heading_up:

1 Like

@Goblinounours I like your idea and think it is “Something out of the Box”. However I do not believe it would ever get implemented.