Survey: Request for question ideas

It has been a while since we conducted a player survey. There has been sufficient development and new players joining the community that it now feels like a good time to poll everyone for their opinions about the future direction of Boundless.

We already have some ideas for actionable questions that we will include, specifically in the areas of beacons and guilds. (Recent forum discussions will contribute to heavily in this area.)

We also plan to re-poll the community for some of the foundation questions we included in the earlier surveys. I’ll likely restructure and reword them to more accurately collect feedback.

This post is a request for ideas on other areas that could be valuable to learn about. What ideas do you have? Don’t worry about phrasing the perfect question - I will wrangle the best ideas into a cohesive and suitable format.

Go!

14 Likes

Mainly for the beacons, I think you’ll get more useful ideas/discussion if there is a bit more concrete idea that guilds are meant to fill.

Use for beacons: group projects / guilds / both

Check how people feel about racial abilities

How people think infrastructure like roads should work

vehicles/mounts?

3 Likes

How much time community want to spend daily in 1.0 Boundless?
As example:
In minecraft some players prefer to go in cave and mine as much resourses as they need at the moment and then leave cave. (about 15min) And other part prefer to go in cave and mine as much as they can to provide themselves with resourses for a long time.(30 min and more).
So time in game in minecraft affect positively on players economy. Time in game= better progress.
But what our community want more: Balance between people who have many free time and who doesn’t OR something like “You work hard you play hard”.

6 Likes

Some kind if weather survive like cool diffrent weathers

After the great response from the community you said you plan to go bigger. What does this exactly mean? Is it in relation to content, marketing, staff, or ‘simply’ the amount of time you developers put into the creation of your game?

You definetly hit the point with
Beacons (permanent / non permanent → loss of property/ lootability of property, size, flexibility, ) and
Guilds / Task Forces (progression, anti griefing ideas, non abusability). I recommend 2 systems here, because there are intentions about them, that do not fit together:
Guilds should compete for world dominance ↔ join as many guilds as you want to be able to work out diverse projects in “smaller” groups.

Further Topics:
Progression model (linear/exponetial, finite/infinite)?

Achievement model (missions, rewards)?

Energy systems for machines of every kind. i.e. electricity/energy and water pressure. The idea of water power i introduced in topic:

post 35/36. other potential systems?

Use of water (just environment or interactive?) I personally like pipes by the way :wink: lowers the complexity.

Titans and temples (Expectations, ideas)? Especially temples still need a concept.

7 Likes

[This](Continuing the discussion from News: Vote#4 results posted
This is the only one I can find in the search bar. I agree that some of these surveys need to be updated again in a single page.

• Racial abilities.
    Apparently a second survey on this is necessary, despite the pretty one-sided result of the first one.

• Purely-Cosmetic wearables
    This is imo a must-have topic in the upcoming survey.

• The new Artstyle
    A lot of people (including me) are complaining about the new Style of the game not fitting / being worse than the old one (regarding block textures). I think a survey question on this might be appropriate

• The Creature Set.
    Q: Do you think the list is big enough?
    Q: Do you like the creatures picked (in comparison to the other shared artworks withing each category)
    (I´m not complaining here, I just think that the results of this could be interesting)

• How many characters per account do you think would be appropriate?

• Combat related questions like:
    MMORPG-Hotbar vs. “Hotkey-skills” (The Division/Path of Exile) vs. None?
    Crowd Control?

• How long should it take to reach “endgame”?

• How hard should the hardest worlds be?

And the (my) all time favorite:

• PvP
    How many people would like to see PvP in the game and how would they like to experience it?
5 Likes

Regarding beacons, will you guys plan on reducing the amount of beacons that we will have and instead increase the area each beacon fills?

I’d rather have one beacon that takes 16x16 blocks of space than just stacking 8 8x8’s together at this time.

2 Likes

8x8x8 square space or have the option to put individual beacon plot area space one by one square or have wand to make the square space without the hassle by putting it one by one

Now we have a block counter of beacon space can be used so it equals 1536 square space on the floor = 8x8 is 64 square space of one beacon plot which is 24 plots in total right now in the beta. There can still be 8x8x8 as a set piece. Its for precise builds like building a bridge across a natural canvarn without using two beacon plots and instead use one custom beacon plot using the available beacon square space.

For the height of a square space above or below the ground square piece(let’s call it “ground” for the bottom plot and “air” for the upper or lower plot) The air plot needs the ground plot to be able to create structures within that area that will be protected automatically without world regen or players taking up the space. The ground plot and air plot should stay the same amount as the 8x8x8 square space or lowered(your choice devs). 512 is both the air and ground, ground is 64 plot space and the air is 448 plot space.

It will be great to obtain resource plots so if a person want to protect a valuable resource from people the person can build a wall around side, front, back, top and bottom and using their block space

1 Like

Questions for the survey guys

It would probably be an idea to pick up some of the old questions again:

Especially these three woud be interesting to pick up again:

10 Likes

Definitly THIS! ^^

My questions have already been mentioned.

Mainly the ones from @Smoothy

Aw, I like the new textures (ignoring the I-think-are-unfinished ones like growth). Igneous stone & its crafted variants are the best ■■■■ ever, etc.

Opinions! Definitely worth a few survey questions

4 Likes

I second this. I especially like the wood plank types as well. Glacier is amazing in the sides/bottom though needs fewer stones on top.

As for glacier, why not just adjust the top textures so that stones only appear in 1-2 tiles rather than 2-3 rocks on top of every tile. Also, the bottom tile of glacier should have many rocks as they tend to get caught in the ice as the glacier moves, though I can see how that would look odd in glacial caves.

1 Like

I do believe that there should be a balance between realistic and ideal. This is a voxel world after all. Not second earth :stuck_out_tongue:

I personally like the old stone textures more than the C++ one. Too much detail up close is okay, but from afar it looks like static

I don’t disagree. As for stone, I never liked the vertical lines between columns in the old texture, either.

1 Like

Should I make a thread for you guys where you can talk bot how the textures culd be improved, what works and why?

1 Like

May be useful.

Another thing worth to put in a survey:

Server Money amount flow / developement:

• should money be just generated by player themselve? via selling / buying goods and services (with little addition of coin by other sources)? Or do people also want secondary sources to create a profit income? What can other sources be (“quests”, “loot”, other ideas)? Hight profit other sources then buying / selling goods and services probably occure high inflation.
  • do people want inflate system? how to protect a server against inflation (even after several updates)?

value of goods:

• Would people like to see abandoned goods which get useless after certain progress (like in WOW) or would they like to see also basic goods which are necessary part of crafting cycles? So also common (easy to collect) goods keep their value and necessarity in higher amounts on the market? Would be good for miners especially!
    I already saw the hint of your personal idea, in which you’d like to see all goods always necessary, no matter how far the progress. I would like it the same way :slight_smile:
3 Likes