Take my money Wonderstruck!

Why does creative world have to link each other?

If you are working with other players on a project, if someone is doing a contest on a creative planet, if you want to visit other creative builds, then it would be necessary to go from one creative world to another. If there is no way to create a network, then you are forced to use the survival universe and hunt for a portal that might connect you to the creative you want to visit. It is not like the portal hubs are going to have the connections. I would think most players, if they even are willing to fuel a portal are going to put it near their base and everyoneā€™s base is not at a hub or has easy access to a hub.

Edit: and frankly why not? One of the big draws to boundless is the ability to connect planets via portals. It is one of the great things about the game. So why are the players on creative worlds not able to do the same as the players that rent a survival planet?

2 Likes

At current pricing 900 shard is 18,000 coins. One hour assumes starting capital for tools, levels for skill points, and extensive survival knowledge. Youā€™d have to play survival for several weeks before you learned the mechanics and got to a point where you can make 18,000 coin profit per hour.

The point is still valid that some people will be paying exclusively for creative mode yet are forced to spend play time gathering coin/oort/playing survival. The experience they are paying for is to be the sole proprietor of a creative MMO voxel sandbox world. You miss out on the Massively Multiplayer aspect without at least having portals in the major hubs.

5 Likes

Visit a creative is not worse then visit any location, You have to know where it is.
And why should the creative worlds portal not connecting to hubs If they want visitors?

2 Likes

Easy answer, is a player going to have a portal from their base or from the hub or do they now have to have multiple portals to fuel? One from their base to the hub and one from the hub to their planet or planets if they rent more than one. And if they have more than one the random placement means they may not even be orbiting the same planet so how many portals are you expecting a player to fuel?

If they have a base on the survival world, why should they avoid it?
As far as i read, You got 1 free portal to the survivel with the planet.

Why creative worlds shouldnā€™t be able to connect each other with portals?

Portals are part of Boundless and same players might only want play creative and visit friends creative planets.
I donā€™t see any big reason why there should be maintain survival link between creative planets. It is just creating same unnecessary portal hub system that we already have live to get destination planet. I donā€™t see why creative hub would need exists survival.

This is something that if it is not solved now it will remain active topic and might get improvement after longer wait. I think it would be best to have it from start on.

2 Likes

No you get nothing free. You have to fuel the portal to the survival planet per James.

Which means you cannot even open a portal between a creative planet and the planet it orbits since this is at least 1 bllnk sec. It also means you cannot open a portal between creative planets. You are limited to portals that link spots on the same planet.

Which means you open a portal from the survival planet and you have to fuel it. Since nothing is free on the survival side, there is no free portal.

3 Likes

And this is how one starts a rumourā€¦

1 Like

It looks to me that creative worlds are meant to be an extension of the survival worlds, not their own entities. The in game cost of that freedom from grind is to still need to get some amount of Oort to stay connected.

Players going and playing in their own segregated Boundless universes doesnā€™t look to be happening anytime soon. And why should we want that, part of the appeal of the game is the community.

6 Likes

That may be the case, but I would venture a guess that many would then not bother renting creative worlds at all.

5 Likes

Then it is not creative and should not be sold or marketed that way. What is it doing is providing an isolated sandbox for players to play in if they are also willing to grind in the survival portion of the game. That is not creative.

This may be your opinion, but is certainly not one I share. If you want more people to play the game then you give them attractive options. This is not an attractive option it feels like a bolt on so that the developers can check off a box and say that it has been delivered.

At this point, I would prefer they split the universe into creative and survival sides.

6 Likes

And maybe that is what all the players that have been against creative from the start really want. They keep saying that we should wait for creative when other players complain about grind, but seem to be afraid of what will happen to their economy or power base or perceived position in the universe if players actually take them up and move to the creative side.

5 Likes

If a player mainly uses creative to play, why would the need to fuel portals at all? Also if the do occasionally play in the public players can easily stretch 900 shards for months if they shut down the portal when not in useā€¦

1 Like

Ehhh the pesky reopening fee would eat thru them too tho

1 Like

I do completely agree with this. We need to support both modes in the best way possible. The issue we have is really just how we link the two modes so that both groups arenā€™t given something that can be exploited by everyone to circumvent survival limitations.

I think we are close to a good set of solution ideas. What is important is making sure that those that ā€œwill buy creative immediatelyā€ are supported in how the worlds connect and the Devs know how important it is to have a good solution.

Maybe an answer is release survival now and hold off another month till creative has a better portal connection answer and Luca has developed something.

4 Likes

I am ok with not releasing creative until they have a better solution. If they think Survival is ready then release it. I think it will take a while to get through all the demand for the survival rentals anyway.

8 Likes

Iā€™d just like to point out that if WS wants my money they should sell clothes. People would spend a lot of money on clothes.

I generally will buy $10 worth of clothes for a game I think I like when Iā€™m just a few days in.

Iā€™m a triceratops!

7 Likes

I havenā€™t read all the discussion (thereā€™s a lot) but I wonder if there is a practical way to implement inventory checking when leaving a creative world. Iā€™d be happy to have to leave anything creative on creative, seems like restriction on portal travel back out to live universe if any object where creativesource = true is in inventory might be a cheap way to do it. Annoying for us at first but easy to get used to.

There is a separate creative only inventory.

4 Likes