Testing 187: Brews, Bombs, Rage, Focus, Revive and Atlases!

Well this is it exactly - it tips the scales completely in their favor and will make something like completeing a meteorite, no matter the level, not particularly enjoyable. Inventory space is already difficult to manage. I just can’t see any positives. At all.

4 Likes

Yay someone noticed!

6 Likes

Yeah the new lava is awesome @Minyi

4 Likes
  • Complexity does not automatically equate to fun. At my age, I’d prefer not to be performing a Bach toccata on the keyboard just to kill a critter (or avoid dying when ambushed trying to mine one block by hitting it every 10 seconds because I don’t have the stamina, food, or stats to do it faster than that).
  • Most–if not all–of the coping mechanisms you describe aren’t available out of the gate. The out-of-box experience is starting to look a little grindy from my perspective.
  • You didn’t answer the implied question: are the critters burdened with the same mechanics as the players?
6 Likes

Creatures have cooldowns.

It might be worthwhile try the system before judging.

10 Likes

I can say I am also concerned about the combat mechanics…however I also know what we have been experiencing on the live servers are not the balanced version of things.

Monsters have been all out crazy fights. I could not imagine fighting a level 6 meteor (in the games current state) while also having to juggle brews, attacking, grappling, stamina.

However, that is the balancing part that we can weigh in on. If combat slows down, as a result of this mechanic and becomes more tactical…I think I would be in heavy favor of it!

Since Stamina and such are new…they also need to be balanced, so we need to offer feedback on how they feel.

Once the system is in place, it is easy to adjust the values behind the scenes.

I am excited! Can’t wait for it to come to live!

8 Likes

Stamina seems very much on par to mana or energy in games like WoW to me, though with the added hunger mechanic. I’ll have to go back and check out my current talent specs, but as it is for me right now, I can perform actions for several minutes straight, and only require a 1 second pause to fill it back to full. I eat a little porridge every 10 minutes and my hunger is back to full. Currently at lvl 49, but it feels very good as an end-game experience. I will post my skill spread when I can get back into game… I’m hoping our devs squashed the bug that knocked me offline!

12 Likes

wow, atlas is just sooooo cool :slight_smile: I’m not overly in love with the upgraded version, but as a map it’s really new and refreshing experience to me and I think it will lead to much more exploration :slight_smile: I hope it will be improved over time to show your starred places, like beacons or saved locations :slight_smile:

5 Likes

An added bonus to the new atlas, is that it makes me want to go out and discover all the undiscovered locations I previously had no idea which direction they were in!

13 Likes

Updated OP with details of 187.1.

14 Likes

@AmandaPan warned me about “nasty mushrooms”… turns out she was right!

(throws Edible Lamella out of bags)

4 Likes

It nearly killed me when I tried to get food crafting skills for my crafter alt. Soooo expensive. Needed to unlearn some skills to get all levels even though I had almost 300 skill points unspent waiting for this update. And there are still engines skills waiting to be unlocked. Will my crafter need to have no vitality and health regen and no inventory skills to be able to craft everything? Atm I only have vitality 3 and hp regen also not full same with inventory space skills. No tool masteries bar chisels and no weapon masteries not even for silver slings to defend myself when building on hostile worlds. I am all for skill cap and not being able to have all skills but atm skill points pool seems too limited at least for someone who wants to craft.

4 Likes

Did you invest in the ‘no death’ effect? Curious, because I know a lot do, and it is a lot of points…and I can’t imagine that skill set being in 1.0

i hope they keep it. the fact that it costs a ton of skill points makes sence but for a player like me is totally worth it.
in fact my main not only has death penalty maxed out but I also have all but one point in tool endurance to. very efficient… for a steep price.

3 Likes

Please note:

What would be helpful is if you described the full set of skills you think a max crafter should reasonably be able to have. This will help us when we overhaul the skill tree.

Should some skills be merged? Split? Etc.

2 Likes

oh ■■■■■ - I am level 50 already so I didnt get the extra points awarded. Will they drop on me if I reset my character?

1 Like

They drop. I went from 1200 total skill points to 1500 skill points.

3 Likes

Hmm, odd then - last night when I was playing on test, I only had 25 skills points spare (and I didn’t reskill or move any points around prior to that). Maybe the skills that I had selected already equated to the new allocation… :thinking: I’ll have a look when I get home tonight.

I might be the only one, but I don’t like having more than one character. I like it for just having an alt to restart on, but not to have specific things. Could there be a way to get all skills on a character somehow? People could still have seperatw characters for certain things if they choose to, but I know quite a few people that don’t nessisarly like having to use different characters just to get all the skill points.

4 Likes

wow - hard coal block can drop up to 3 so can large fossil; are all 3 tier resources affected by luck now? (gems?)

2 Likes