Testing 194: Epic Skills, Skill Sets and the Exchange!

A question:

how/when are the extra backer plots showing? are exchange plot coffers showing more plots for backers or is it only seen when one buys them?

1 Like

What happens when someone gets tired of just making brews and decides they’d like to try their hand at something else, variety is the spice of life an all that, and then realises oh hang on a moment I’m locked out of those skill trees because of my earlier ‘career path’ … hmm this is a bit boring now I guess I’ll have to start all over again … oh wait a minute, there’s a new game coming out soon perhaps I’ll try that instead.
On my travels I generally end up with quite a variety of resources, personally I’d like to be able to use them at some point not just have them sitting there or worse still sell them to someone for a pittance so they can make a huge profit.

3 Likes

There are no ‘career paths’. No idea where that info comes from. You can mix and match skills like before. You can be a cook with a bow who avoids taxes, can open portals across the galaxy and has a personal light in dark places.
There are just some choises now between epic skills. Like you cant have focus AND rage at the same time now. Or be and Tank AND a top damage dealer.

In addition Skill Resets and Cleanse Points work the same way they do in the live servers.
So if you want to try something different, its always possible.

2 Likes

The plot coffers show the base plots.
They get multiplied after you get them.
So if you get 10 plots as a … say pioneer you will end up with 15 plots in your inventory.

1 Like

I suppose if there are fractions, they are added up in background until you get one full plot extra? (for example coffer with 5 plots would give 7.5 plots but it will show 7 and whenever another half happens 1 additional plot will be added, meaning that the same 5 plot coffer with 50% backer bonus will give 8 plots sometime later)

I don’t think backer percentages get added do they? At least fractions don’t… Idk, I bought 2 as a wayfarer and got 2, which makes sense I guess

maybe when you buy 2 a few times more the extra plot from percentage bonus will pop in?

from what I remember every few times I upgraded, I got the “extra fraction” .

I got that info/impression from the Boundless Web site which states “In a Boundless universe of connected world’s, every players choices will have an impact. Explorer? Builder? Hunter? Trader? Crafter? Make your own path” as well as “Each citizen you meet in the Boundless universe is different in appearance, skill and role” which implies to me that there are specific career paths. Thank you for clarifying that for me and hopefully you are correct. From looking at the exchange in testing it gives the impression you have to pay for skill resets with qubits unlike now where we can reset once a week for free.

1 Like

you can buy a full reset with cubits, or a bundle of 10 cleanse points which is cheaper and gives you enough freedom to rebuild a skill set without a reset

So does that mean we don’t get the weekly free one anymore and can only do resets/cleanse by spending cubits?

Most likely the only way to reset your skills completely is with Cubits. That isn’t really going to be that big of an issue once you hit 50 and can grind out an unlimited amount of them.

1 Like

That is correct.
As a wayfarer i got 12 and 13 plots alternating every 50+ level up.

You still get 1 cleanse point every level on testing.
I can’t tell if you still get weekly resets but i will keep an eye on it.

2 Likes

A good example of this would be Walmart is a general store with an identifiable unique design. It’s also boring and bad for local economies as overall employment goes down with all the stores it drives out of business when it comes to town while paying low wages supported with taxpayer money. It’s a cheap store with cheap products. Now, those businesses driven out of business? They had usually popular long time residents who owned them. They were unique and people sometimes came from a hundred miles away to shop there or even thousands of miles away on other continents. Now those unique businesses are gone and boring Walmart is everywhere with it’s cheap products. I remember many of the great stores I used to go to in the 60’s and 70’s as well as the owners and many of the employees. Walmart, KMart, Sears, Montgomery Ward, Woolworths? I remember a regional manager of a Montgomery Ward, but, that is because he was a personal friend and rented from us. I don’t remember anything interesting about any of those stores and can’t remember any people from them other than my friend. Those giant stores go out of business too eventually when the next shiny thing comes along as you may have noticed on my list. Walmart will one day be gone too thank goodness.

3 Likes

May I recommend instead of a -xp, why not have a survival bonus? Say, you get +2% xp every X duraton (15 minutes?) you’re alive, up to +40% or something like that. Rebalance XP gain a little bit. Shouldn’t apply to XP gained from crafting, etc; just building/gathering/hunting.
That way, you are “rewarded” for not dying.

You could go further, and give players a beneficial buff when they die. Basically, trading the +%xp for +survivability, or something like that. This bonus shouldn’t be too strong, but noticeable. I would suggest something like +20% max hp. Meteors and the like should probably have an aoe effect that disables this bonus while you’re near them. Maybe planet level could reduce this, as well.

5 Likes

Have you guys already unbound a shoulder button for + commands? I haven’t tried a controller yet. Also, I saw 360 and DS4 are supported, any plans for X1 gamepad support?

Just looked through the release notes. Haven’t had time yet to check out the skill changes, but thought I would give some initial opinions.

“Early tools now do more damage to creatures to help new player who are attacked before they have a Slingbow.”
This is good, I remember when first started, I was first attacked by a spitter, I tried my axe, hammer and totem, they had no noticeable affect, then I died, and immediately logged off. That was frustrating, and I had to research what you need to fight creatures. I would have expected the tutorial to have you make what you need before you are attacked.

“Added a starvation status effect. When the hunger bar is at its lowest point the starvation effect is applied. During starvation the character will take damage. Eat some food to remove the starvation status effect.”
Not really a fan of this.

“Removed the basic early skills: Compass, Entity Info, Can Creep.”
I noticed everyone starts with all the inventory slots now. These are good. Everyone really had to buy these. Buying these delayed when you could start buying other skills.

“There is now a skill which allows you to dig up surface resources (i.e. Plants, Fungi and Boulders) and replant them.”
That’s nice. Allows decorating and making something like a garden.

“Defeated penalty changes
Your items are no longer damaged when you are defeated and return to the sanctum.
Instead you will lose a portion of the XP earned to the next level.”
Really, really, really don’t like losing progress, especially with all the ways the game has killed me when “unstable connection” occurs.

6 Likes

Starving debuff sucks. Punishing players for being afk sucks. Adds nothing to the game bar yet more micromanagement.

Edit: and gem bows do much less DPS, mobs have buffed HPs. Yawn.

Basically most of this update adds time to most tasks, some considerably so, in an attempt to artificially elongate the length of time the player interacts with specific systems before being ready to then do whatever they actually wanted to play Boundless to do. Massive turn off for me. Basically playing on testing now this is not a fun game.

Stacking this on top of other changes since I joined, it’s just gone far too far the other side of tolerable play and firmly into grind for me. It’s so disappointing to see such a promising game thud dramatically down in fun over the course of a few updates.

1 Like

Have you tried improving your weapons with the centraforge? You can get some pretty wildly powerful results and interesting customization with very little added investment.

1 Like

Out of interest I’d thought I’d see what my level 46 and 50+ characters are worth in cubits on testing … It seems they both only get 300 cubits :thinking:

1 Like