Testing 21: Block Rendering and World Builder Prefabs

Well time to try all things out

i’m so sorry :((( my true colors were revealed

6 Likes

… and it only took one innocent soul!

3 Likes

Ironically, I used @Predatoxic’s soul. Not so innocent anymore, but it knew where to go! :laughing:

6 Likes

:’) anywhooo

As someone who has not touched the world builder at all or know anything about it. How exactly do I get to the prefab?

2 Likes

This is the important question! I need to know too…

You create a “custom prefab” node -> click “create new prefab” -> name it(you don’t have to)-> connect it to the decoratiom node. After that you start the server -> teleport to world -> select the “builder” universe -> connect to “prefab”.

3 Likes

Make sure that you also launch the world builder directly from the file system, not via Steam

3 Likes

@Predatoxic @nevir Ty it worked! am I supposed to connect those code stuff onto it to get more blocks other than gleam?
edit: forget I asked that I found it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Placing blocks in prefab mode behaves oddly for me (OS X world builder): When I place a block, nothing happens. When I place another block, I am snapped back to where I was when I placed the previous block, and that block shows up. Rinse and repeat - always one step ahead of the WB server

Does not occur when running the WB on windows. Does occur with the windows client when I tunnel to my mac’s WB

Edit: now it’s fine on my mac. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 Like

Tried prefabbing for the first time and I must say I LOVE having this much power :slight_smile:.

One thing I noticed though is that I couldn’t change the color of the grass. I tried destroying all the grass blocks and putting it back but sadly they were still the same crimson color (except gnarled grass. It stayed green the whole time).

6 Likes

All the block colours will come from the individual world generation. When the Prefab is inserted into a world during generation it will adopt the block colours of that world.

You can change the block colours on the root Generator node. (Assuming you’re creating the Prefab as a node in a World config.)

Additionally - follow the guidance here by @nevir.

2 Likes

Nevir was actually the one to walk me through the world builder prefab :smiley:

I did try to change the colors a while back, but it still wouldn’t change. I even tried to make a new world and just change the grass color but it still came out crimson. I feel like i’m missing something but I don’t know what :frowning:

Hmm.

The process that I just used to confirm the colour switching works is:

1. “File” -> “New” -> “World”.
  2. Add “Custom Prefab”.
  3. [Connected the game, switched to the prefab, etc]
  4. Placed a few Gleam blocks.
  5. [Switched back to the World Builder]
  6. Changed the Gleam colour on the “Unnamed World” root node (as in your screen shot).

And all the gleam blocks automatically changed colour.

Additional: It’s possible the grass is broken (but I would find this surprising). Give the gleam a try.

1 Like

The gleam does work ^^. It’s just the grass that’s too stubborn to change

Ok - thanks. Interesting. Good to know.

1 Like

@James, just a short idea.
If you would like to have community support not just for biomes but also for prefabs, you could ask people to design some nice things for you guys and handover to you? To make thinks easy and you visibly see what you get, maybe with screenshot of prefabs in same thread.

Even when you modify those prefabs, you could safe some time for other stuff? And if you like certain prefabs, give some topics like: trees (tropical, ancient, european) or stone formations (canyon, mountainside)… Dunno if that is handy support for you or if your designers like to workout things themselves.

1 Like

That’s a good idea, and I’m fairly sure that’s what is already going on here. I imagine the designers will still Do many on their own, but the community can also give them a large variety to pick from and maybe tweeked slightly to better suit their vision.

DELETECHUNK doesn’t appear to apply to liquid blocks; would it be feasible to make it delete those too?

I’m trying to make a hollow prefab that spawns in liquid

1 Like