Testing 218 Issue: Serious Suggestion

Weapons, bombs, and grapples make sense, but…

Do we really need higher stats on tools?

Forged Gem tools already do everything we need. The only purpose of higher-tiered tools (past gem) is to mine higher tier materials… To craft those higher tier tools. It’s a redundant loop. This is pseudo-progression. Something fun and interesting should be at the apex of a progression, not simply “here, now it takes less time to mine and you get pretty-looking tools and blocks.”

https://youtu.be/QHyQFoCdamw?t=366
“Basically my reward for doing work in [graveyard keeper] is to do more work”

Boundless has this continuous issue of giving means to grind more effectively but not offering a true reward to the progression especially early on. I won’t go too much into detail about this, but basically players need a way to have fun in the game too and reap the benefits of their work soon rather than later. I think this is why many new players quit very early on (as we saw in the F2P weekend, but that is another issue to address. Here I am simply addressing end-game rewards).

Suggestion: Offer significant QoL improvements through these new resources. Make the grindiest parts of the game as enjoyable as possible via rare resources (read: blink, umbris, and rift) that will retain players in both the long and short term.

Application Ideas

• Make a new high-tier portal conduit that either
    • Offers cheaper oort costs per hour
    • Holds more oort
    • Offers additional functionality (guild portals w/ notifications on fuel, adjacent inventory access, etc.)
  • Other ideas
    • Use in endgame recipes (A Proper Endgame - #7 by RatofTime)
    • Buff trinkets (items that offer bonuses like boons or quirks on equip but are infinite or have durability)
    • New powerful guild helixes (helixi? helixis?)
    • Higher-tier brew containers (and consequently higher-tier brews and buffs)
    • Higher-tier forge gums/compounds (quirk-free boons, 100% guaranteed boon gums)
    • Higher-tier power coils (endgame should allow us to near instantly craft stuff. There is no reason why this shouldn’t be the case)
    • Higher-tier totem (an actually viable multitool)
      • This could allow for different stats per material (rift = rock+dirt, blink = wood+leaves, etc.)

The way the new material is implemented right now is very lackluster. Exoworlds are a great idea, but the way the progression is implemented is not.

As always to end on a positive note, we appreciate all the work you devs do for us. Don’t be discouraged by my suggestions, you guys are still making a great game, I just want to add input to make it even greater.

Cheers

3 Likes

I like the higher stat tools, it gives us a way to be able to actully progress past the current teir because of them. If you add new tools that are not more powerful why add them at all?

1 Like

Exactly, and this is my argument in fact.

The tools aren’t more powerful. They scale exactly with the planet. The only reason they exist is to make you sink more time in to progress to them and absolutely nothing else. There is no reason to hunt down the new materials unless you’re going to hunt down more of the new materials.

2 Likes