Testing 224 - Farming Earthyams and Bulb return ratio from harvest

I think it is bad to point out that something wasn’t originally designed like that. Some games have had unintended/undocumented behaviours/bugs that has been later listed as a feature.

Maybe it wasn’t originally intended but players made it work around it. Removing drop from those blocks is big change, probably good for promoting farming but could cause big drop of demand of some tools.

I think main reasons why block gathering is so popular is because

1. First we had slow regen system
  2. Surface gathering is slow, plants aren’t available and rewarding enough
  3. It is more safe for many players.

I think we still need to hit and regen blocks to get OK amounts of shimmering orbs, and first plants we get don’t include orb plant farming (I expect some of these plants come later game that we wouldn’t need hit blocks so much).

I think yams still drop from desert swords and rosetta noxes, Edit: I was corrected, those plants don’t drop anymore yams :frowning: hopefully tutorial just guides all options thru. I wouldn’t expect new players to look mass craft amounts of materials when they are trying to battle against hunger.

We have had farming on testing under 24h, I think players haven’t broke farming yet. Still I don’t see problem to have millions of seeds, there could always come new recipes that would allow make something new out of those seeds :smiley:

1 Like

They don’t, the only source is crops now.

2 Likes

You have not tested it, the growables no longer drop from their old plants. Earthyams only drop fron the new Earthyam plant and they are the only growable that does so as to give new players a gatherable food. The new waxy, exotic and grain plants only drop seeds. The only way to get those is to gather the seeds the wait behind a time wall for them to grow. Meaning you have to spend the time to gather them judt like before, the WAIT for 3-12 hours to actually get usable mats.

3 Likes

Wow, maybe those plants should still drop those. Those are anyway dropping always that normal yam.

I thought I got some to my inventory from desert sword on testing, I still can’t recognize new plants :smiley: . Good that you correct me, I edit my post above. :slight_smile:

Different strokes for different folks. The last game I sunk a lot of hours into was Oldschool RuneScape on an Ironman account, where trading is disabled. I’m used to slow resource collecting. Since starting boundless I will occasionally go on a group hunts and buy forged gear (since working up to AoE gem tools is egregiously tedious from scratch). Other than that I have been primarily solo. It’s just how I play my games.

Maybe you could extract seeds from the harvested items to get back the seeds you lost? Allowing for infinite repeatability without going back to seed gathering but results in a lower yield rate. Either way, a 90% return on seeds is fantastic. The series (Σ0.9^x) approaches 10 yams per seed if replanting until exhaustion. And unless you are selling the seeds you would be using them completely. You could expect 468 yams after only 5 harvests starting with 100 seeds, and still have 60 seeds to move forward with.

3 Likes

The return rate is not 90% but more like 50% or less. This means for ever crop you STILL have to run around then wait behind a timegate for your crop. Also in order to actually get best yield you have to have fertilizer made from resources you can only get from an EXO, I would not call that easy.

2 Likes

Ahh, I was going off of an above assumption. Anything lower than 80% (5 times initial investment) is pretty abysmal. Maybe it needs bumped up and the fertilizer could add 10% more(my initial10x scenario).

2 Likes

In Stardew Valley, which is all about farming, you do have a machine that converts a fruit/vegetable into the appropriate seeds, so yeah, that should be possible.
I would be quite happy with such a machine myself.

6 Likes

This would be a decent solution, give up a part of your crop for replanting. You would still get a decent crop and if you wanted to grow your field field you can reinvest the whole produce into seed. At a minimum we need to be able to do this as well as having the return rate of seeds be at least 80%

5 Likes

I like this idea, but also, if it stays the way it is, it does sort of carve out more of an economic niche for those that enjoy pure mindless gathering. I plan to do both of course, but figuring since I like just zoning out and collecting, collecting extra seeds and selling them cheap could be a good draw for my place.

Edit: Ok, just thought of something - Story of Seasons (old Harvest Moon, new name) had a feature that could work well here too. There you could improve quality of crops slowly over the generations. So say, first generation you have One Star rank seeds that you find in the wild. Raise them well enough, next generation seeds are Two Star, and so on, so it really pays off to be diligent over time.

2 Likes

Seed drop rates and crop harvest rates are still WIP.

This release contains a first pass, and the balance is no where near final.

This isn’t a Release Candidate but a first version that is worth testing for issues and bugs.

18 Likes

Well, yeah, that’s why we’re testing! Pretty sure nobody is taking any of this as final. :slight_smile:
BUT, what would be Wonderstruck’s opinion on the discussion above, though?
Should a farm be self-sufficient? Or should you have to go back in the wild after pretty much every harvest to gather the seeds you didn’t get back?

2 Likes

This is me giving feedback. Imo farms should be self sufficient, at the very least one should be able to roll some of the crop back into seed. This would give you produce and let you farm without having to go back and gather after each harvest.

1 Like

Mentioned it before, but basically I think that, assuming the crop wasn’t harvested prematurely, they should always drop 1 seed, with a % change to drop a bonus seed capping at 100% (for one bonus seed, or a total of two seeds).

This % chance is, as expected, influenced by things such as the soil, fertilizer, nearby water ect…

2 Likes

I wonder if it’s possible to have it so that after x amount of growing time you then have x amount of time within which to harvest the crop but if it’s left over that time then the plants go to seed which have no time limit. That way if someone accidentally misses there crop harvest window they will get seeds to replant or sell. The crop harvest window would have to be of a reasonable time length though to cater for those that can’t play every day.

2 Likes

Resource plants never wither only prestige plants do.

Ah, but a man’s reach should exceed his grasp,
Or what’s a heaven for?

I really prefer getting less than 100% seed return, at least by default. You can gather or buy new seed every year, just like in real life.

I love the idea that you can treat your crop to influence its productivity, with applying more phosphate analog to get more seed and more potash analog to get more yield just like in real life. You can choose to get 150% seed drop at the expense of applying bone meal and no yield or 150% yield bonus at the expense of applying peat and no seed drop. Application of nitrates (made from saltpetre!) make the crop mature faster at the expense of reduced seed and drop and yield. Or whatever, I’m not a biologist. You can become a self-sustaining farmer with appropriate tilth, cultivation, and crop rotation practices but not by default: it would take work.

2 Likes

Currently the surrounding blocks affect the yields, but they’re pretty balanced. The earthyam data for example.

Change the weights so that more water nearby produces more earthyam, sand more seeds for example.

Happy to hear the balance isn’t final and these can be tweaked to be more humane :smiley:

edit: spoilering these in case somebody wants to find this stuff out themselves

5 Likes

Im slightly confused by that graph, does that mean you can get max 8 seeds near tilted soil…?

67% effectively means gathering after every crop XD so I hope that gets changed.