Testing 224 - Farming Earthyams and Bulb return ratio from harvest

Yeah the changes are amazing to me too. I’m truly excited for them. I just see it being to much for newer players when we didn’t have to find vines or yam bushes. If can’t grown them on “lush” worlds why stop them from falling from lush world soil or foliage?

I’m honestly surprised that crops won’t yield large amounts of seeds.

I see it as a boost to newer players though as it gives the people who don’t want to leave their base another reason to participate in the MM aspects of this MMO.

As for needing a high level character to source ingredients for high level foods, IMO that’s a fix.

I understand that people don’t like to lose things. I’m not trying to be rude to anyone and I’m sorry for Bob whensome soil farms will have a negative impact from this.

As for the lower level players this is a whole new market for them. OP of this thread posted several times already that the notion of buying seeds is a joke and everyone will be FORCED to gather their own every time they want to plant a crop.

That’s quite a bit different from Bob’s situation and was the reasoning behind my earlier post.

Yes farming is available to lower tier players too but why handicap them at the beginning? Like reply said should lush worlds still drop sense making a farm does nothing if read farm update post right

Oh ok. Wasn’t trying to be “mean” or anything just expressing concern. We took “pies” from farms cuz farm update is still a work in progress. It’s honestly like every other update. We see it we read about it and than we all adapt to it. It’s the wide eyed bushy tailed noobs was concerned about :slight_smile:

Fair enough. I see this as adding MORE opportunity for them, not less.

When there is enough content that it’s not possible for most players to try and solo EVERYTHING any more, we will have a much healthier economy. I don’t expect that to come without some speedbumps though.

1 Like

What kind of tests have you guys done? What arrangements have been tested? James liked this post so I think there’s more to it. Or maybe not, you never know :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

That would actually be a pretty decient solution, encouraging more farming while keeping everyone happy. I’m not sure how it would be exactly executed however, what would be the actual differences that determines which type of farm it is?

Farming should never give above 1 to 1 ratio or it invalidates gathering.

I would reduce the yield by like 1% each time.

But if people demand seeds be plentiful then we need a system where we replace soil. Otherwise the game would be flooded with infinite farming materials.

Can people imagine the millions of seeds and earth yams we would have if the yield was above 1 to 1?

I feel like people are jumping to conclusions way too fast before testing.

1 Like

Gathering of what, exactly?

Keeping in mind you wont be able to farm these plants from blocks anymore.

You still need to gather the various leafs and beans, since (afaik) they can’t be farmed using seeds.

Starberry and Yams can no longer be gathered in any meaningful quantity after this update due to the aforementioned block gathering changes without farming.

So how would being able to farm more than 1 seed per plant at a time invalidate gathering?

In addition, is it really so bad if we have an excess of seeds and earthyams? Its not like we don’t already have tons of the stuff already thanks to mud farming and soil farming, I don’t see this as being much different in terms of effort vs reward.

8 Likes

A lot of speculation and zero data in this thread.

1. how common are the plants in the wild?
  2. what # of seeds does a single plant in the wild drop?
  3. under best conditions what number of resources and seeds drop from a farmed plant?

I have seen some speculation and one test done in this thread about seed drop numbers where the person believes they have an ideal setup. Is the setup ideal? Or is it just midteir?

Someone said you get 50% seeds back. Is that for all plants? Just for one plant type? What was the farm sample size?

All these variables are up for changing. We are on test…but we need to actually test it and get some usable data so we can make honest and iterative suggestions.

Right now y’all are just grabbing pitchforks, screaming about needs over one person’s supposed ideal farm and seed count (no numbers provided)

Let’s relax, get some numbers and keep the testing thread constructive.

The devs want our feedback and will iterate on the design of the system…that is why it is on testing.

7 Likes

To get the maximum numbers you have to till the soil and fertilize it. The tiller is really cheap though, fertilizer is a bit harder and only spawns on exos. They have 500 durability.

Did somebody really gather waxy/exotic yams from the plants before? They’re so rare and drop so few compared to the blocks it’s a joke imo.

4 Likes

Well, I’ll make a few large farms and I guess we’ll see what the results are… I’m not a fan of a potentially poor seed return ratio either so I want to know how the ratio is with a larger sample too.

1 Like

I extracted some data, but either I’m missing a modifier or it’s not possible to get 100% seed chance. Does luck affect the drops?

2 Likes

There’s no mention of luck affecting crops but the Farming epic does mention yields:

This is the farm setups I’m making so far by the way. They are NOT the most efficient because honestly it would take even longer to set up. The second screenshot is going to be tilled peaty soil with sand next to it with water underneath, for exotic earthyams.

The first screenshot is 730 regular earthyams which are planted in tilled soil and are currently growing…

In the data files yield is the produce chance, seed chance is separate :confused: Going to test this in-game but it takes a while for the plants to grow :smiley:

1 Like

That’s what I’m aiming to test at the moment too as you can see above. :frowning:

Oh, and your wrists will hurt… :smiley:

This is the while reason i brought the issue up, if you can not replant then farming just acts as a timegate to get resources where there was no timegate before.

6 Likes

You said it!
If it’s how farming is, I won’t bother with the mechanics of it, I’ll just plant organic/in-organic crops for decoration, and I’ll be done with it.

3 Likes

Ok, all the crops I’m willing to plant for now are in place.

I’m not going to spend 5 hours making huge farms that will be wiped eventually anyway. :confused: