Testing 224 - Farming Earthyams and Bulb return ratio from harvest

I haven’t done enough tests to be sure, but my current theory is that the condition can stack 8 times maximum.

@redlegdaddy I’m still testing more but I’m starting to think the range these are checked against isn’t a 3x3 surrounding box, but rather directly touching the block. That’d bring the modifier count even further down.

2 Likes

I think we need more data

In my tests I had tilled silty, water on 1 side and sand on the other with gleam above and fertilized. I was getting more like 50% but that could just be bad rng.

1 Like

That sounds about right though, 18% for sand, 18% for water, 4% for nearby tilled silty, 15% for planted on tilled silty

= 55%

2 Likes

Ouch, that def needs a big boost.

I will investigate this soon.

Edit, yes, tested this, the water only gave a bonus 3 times, for instance. And water placed underneath actually provided NO bonus, unfortunately.

I’ll add debug screenshots in a spoiler:

Debug info

One thing to make note of is that blocks like the tilled soil were added whilst not being directly adjacent as visible and did still provide some benefit.

1 Like

Hmm I was hoping to have a few more modifiers than just the 8 surrounding blocks. A 3x3x3 cube around the crop sounds better to me and more room for fine tuning the numbers you want out of your field. Maybe that’d be a big performance hit, idk.

As I just edited in, tilled soil i added around that wasn’t in the 8 surrounding blocks did provide benefit. I’ll see how far they can be now.

This seems to be the horizontal radius limit for the distance of blocks affecting the central crop:

Adding sand on the outside of this did nothing:

But adding sand in the inside of the radius did do something:

For reference, the ideal yam crop will, not accounting for fertiliser, then look something like this:

Added extra screen at end so the water looks more obviously like water.

3 Likes

Interesting :thinking: So it’s a 2d plane instead of 3d.

As far as I can tell, yes; adding sand or water above or below the tilled soil the crop was in, didn’t seem to do anything. :confused:

1 Like

With that layout what is the seed yield?

67%, but as James said the numbers aren’t final, just the first balance pass.

5 Likes

Needs some tweaks for sure, otherwise its just suface gathering with timegates.

1 Like

I am sorry but what are people using ALL these yams for and why is it so critical to farm thousands of them over and over using regen bombs and now super farms? I’m honestly not sure anymore which yam we are talking about and why so many are being used. I’m really just asking to try to understand the problem…

Yeah and if the rates are off it’s going to be a bumpy ride. And I haven’t even touched the pigment farming yet, I heard that gleam can’t be sprayed!?=!!?= I hope that was just a bug or something.

1 Like

For me its not so much about the yams, but more the seeds.

I want a very large farm, and I dont want to spend several hours gathering more seeds after each harvest. It’s as simple as that.

The only reason I can see them dropping less is to preserve the economy, but as I stated earlier, the amount of work required to maintain, harvest, and replant a very large farm doesn’t seem too different than the amount of time it currently takes to farm using regen bombs, meaning I don’t believe we will see much economic deflation even if they drop more than 1 seed.

3 Likes

To be clear, and I’m surprised you were the first one to bring this up, I only used Regular Earthyams in my testing because the Exotic take 9 hours, and regular take 3 hours; I do have a reasonable amount of exotic ones growing, but it makes it easiest to test with regular ones at the moment.

1 Like

Yams are just the first example. All the growable crops will suffer the same issues. Rice, flour, oats, all the starberries. These plants are looking at a 12 fold increase in time to gather.

1 Like

Gleam can’t be sprayed, no, but in fairness the original testing post alludes to the fact that only rock or wood based products/blocks will be tintable… (I too would like gleam to be included, though)

1 Like