Testing 232: Closed Storage and Decorative Blocks!

Hey, Thanks! I’ll definitely drop by sometime soon. Trying to catch up on some mats right now. So, going mining for some Gems and metals for now so I can craft me some tools. Then I might have a look at what’s left on the current Exos for the heck of it lol. So, I guess I’ll see ya later or within the next few days at least. I still have that QS to grind for on NMS too. I guess I’m gonna be busy lol. :wink:

1 Like

(not all @ you Xal, just going off your comment)

Hmm. Boundless refers to itself as a building game. Have you folks seen the massive things people have built in other games? It’s what serious builders do. Some of those people even have portfolios of their work and get paid $$$ irl to build things for other players/businesses. They fill up club worlds and planets with statues, mansions, abstract art, etc. I actually haven’t seen anything in BL on that scale yet.

Devil’s advocate…if that person had enough plots to fill in those roads(sp=rows) and make a “legit” build/city, is that ok? Where do you draw the line? How are we suppose to know where that line is? TBH, I’ve considered buying enough plots to cover an entire planet myself. I wasn’t aware this would be frowned upon.

“You can build, but not here.”
“You can build, but not that big.”
“You can build, but not that way.”
“You can build that, but we might change it later.”

9 Likes

You know, if you did this TO BUILD STUFF I would be super impressed.

Sadly more of what we see is people doing junk like that picture floating around TO STOP OTHER PEOPLE FROM BUILDING STUFF and if makes me sad.

2 Likes

I know those people doing that specific plotting have some pretty cool building plans. Jus sayn.

*had

I’ve made several comments about the practice as it has some technical interest to me in how it affects the ‘system’ determination of how plotteed a world is and also I’d like to know if they’re plotted in such a way that the land is still usable during the interim.

But I don’t honestly care enough to go check :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

It’s a gray area, how you might feel looking at something, i mean emotions > logic sometimes.

Knowing that they’ve leveraged the buffer system meant to protect player sovereignty to claim far more than they have bought or earned does color my thoughts on the matter. If that was a solid third of a planet plotted out it would receive (IMO) a lot less “tut-tut” reaction and lot more encouragement/congratulations.

If you have plenty of blocks on hand and actually willing to invest in some labor you can still reserve a ton of unplotted land. In the end, if the devs say it’s ok, and/or enable it with the game systems, it’s ok. They’re clearly saying this is not ok.

1 Like

@james If I had ONE comment, it would be to advise y’all to hold on on the Trelling block and to workshop-it.

Currently on testing, the Trelling block looks bad because the framing has the same color as the leaves… which… kinda makes 0 sense.

I HIGHLY recommend either of 2 options:

OPTION 1) Not doing it into a bloc and instead make it more like a glass-pane model you can place on another block and have the leaves sticking out of said block, making it look like the leaves are growing on the block. That would look FAR better than the Trelling block on testing and would open for an AWESOME new level of creation.

OPTION 2) Find some tech upgrade to have TWO colors for one block. That would open the door to a flood of new possibility. But I think this is less likely to happen.

OPTION 3) Release the trelling block as it is because who cares what I say, and do Option 1 or Option 2 right after.

Everything else I’ve seen on testing plainly just kicks @$$ and I can’t wait to use it on live.

1 Like

I prefer facts & logic. :thinking: Everyone knows idc what a build is or what it looks like, as long as it falls within CoC. Gleam towers? Awesome. Slides? Cool. Malls? Sweet. A square box? Okie dokie. MC style mud hut? Alrighty.

If we aren’t allowed to use more than X plots on a planet, then we need to be made aware of that beforehand imo. Maybe it was an oversight, that’s fine. I’m glad I didn’t spend $$$$ buying cubits for plots already, to do what I was thinking. :woman_shrugging:

Without club worlds, rental planets, and with supposed free rein across 50 sprawling planets…why wouldn’t someone try to do this?

2 Likes

Will plants be paintable? Still hoping to fix my spineback problem

A few blocks and a series of beacons will still allow you to net a 1:7 ratio if you want to block off a planet.

I’m working on a different project now. I started plotting it, using the new plot/buffer system, but that might get scrapped with future updates. Not sure. Maybe we should be allowed to power on a force field or something instead of reservations/buffers :grin:

2 Likes

Took some of the new blocks for a quick first build on Testing- Dand.
The result an Oort- (Amsterdam-) Canal House with a fine brickwork facade :boundless:

17 Likes

I was opposed to the plot barrier system, but don’t remove it now that it’s there. It’s the only viable ways to jerk-proof your settlement

1 Like

That’s an amazing build! Can’t wait for the new blocks. Next level building incoming!

You can do all those things without settlement status on your roads. That doesn’t devalue their aesthetic or their usefulness for travellers in any way.
Or … maybe it’s not about building but about gaming footfall and prestige?
(Not directed at you, but you have to agree that the universe would look quite different without the incentive to maximize footfall and prestige.)

It’s somewhat related. Because the same will most likely happen to the upcoming change to buffer zones.
When the patch hits people will just add a couple of plots here and there to turn everything into a settlement and nothing will change. So the change to buffer zones is kinda pointless without looking at the “road” algorithm as well.

1 Like

From my perspective if you are building a city then you build your city in the immediate area of the city you want to create. Roads in that city are fine. If you run a road to someone else’s city then my assumption would be that they specifically asked for the road to happen.

If they didn’t ask directly or anything else was the reason then you are just making decisions for others that might not want that. I would also default in assuming that people don’t want their cities connected because we constantly see complaints around this. That means roads between cities are not important or really wanted most of the time.

Plus we’ve see builds that cut across open areas or right beside builds but don’t connect actually end up cutting other people off from future expansion. This is much different that two people that are expanding their cities and then run into each other.

People can build what they want. The challenge and issue comes when they assume their build has rights but don’t feel others in the area have rights or they lack the empathy to just stay building in their area versus spreading all over the place or linking people.

For me, that roughly is why roads of any size crossing planets aren’t helpful. Prestige and footfall didn’t help in this area too…

2 Likes

Adding more plots to turn everything into a settlement IS a change, though.

IDK looking at something and saying “let’s take this from 1:5 to 1:2.3” seems like a reasonable balancing change if they’re unhappy with the current balance as “emergent gameplay” evolves.

As I noted above you can still achieve 1:7 but that takes more investment in time and materials. It’s not just running in a straight line and blocking people off of massive swaths of land.

A. I meant the rows (was just referencing the future build/rows - there are no roads there, just plots). I think you were having a convo about literal roads with someone else :woman_shrugging:

B. The game is going to have to decide if it wants people to build together or disallow it. You can’t allow people to plot wherever they want, yet prevent people that might eventually not get along plot next to each other, while trying to explain to a noob why they cannot have the “available” plot. If you’re going to restrict/control builds, then do so and make it known. If not, then don’t. (Personally, I don’t think any entity - large or small - should be forcefully merged/connected, roads or no roads.)

Having it wishy-washy-maybe-kinda-not-sure-in-between is frustrating everyone :disappointed:

yup :+1:

2 Likes

I mean, you kinda did this to me lol. You plotted all the way across a huge lake and then took my backyard - never built anything on it. The land became useless to me so I had to move.

5 Likes

It just makes it more expensive, but since you can throw real money or power leveling at plots it doesn’t solve anything.

hmm, maybe the material cost is not yet fixed…