Testing 232: Closed Storage and Decorative Blocks!

I’m working on a different project now. I started plotting it, using the new plot/buffer system, but that might get scrapped with future updates. Not sure. Maybe we should be allowed to power on a force field or something instead of reservations/buffers :grin:

2 Likes

Took some of the new blocks for a quick first build on Testing- Dand.
The result an Oort- (Amsterdam-) Canal House with a fine brickwork facade :boundless:

17 Likes

I was opposed to the plot barrier system, but don’t remove it now that it’s there. It’s the only viable ways to jerk-proof your settlement

1 Like

That’s an amazing build! Can’t wait for the new blocks. Next level building incoming!

You can do all those things without settlement status on your roads. That doesn’t devalue their aesthetic or their usefulness for travellers in any way.
Or … maybe it’s not about building but about gaming footfall and prestige?
(Not directed at you, but you have to agree that the universe would look quite different without the incentive to maximize footfall and prestige.)

It’s somewhat related. Because the same will most likely happen to the upcoming change to buffer zones.
When the patch hits people will just add a couple of plots here and there to turn everything into a settlement and nothing will change. So the change to buffer zones is kinda pointless without looking at the “road” algorithm as well.

1 Like

From my perspective if you are building a city then you build your city in the immediate area of the city you want to create. Roads in that city are fine. If you run a road to someone else’s city then my assumption would be that they specifically asked for the road to happen.

If they didn’t ask directly or anything else was the reason then you are just making decisions for others that might not want that. I would also default in assuming that people don’t want their cities connected because we constantly see complaints around this. That means roads between cities are not important or really wanted most of the time.

Plus we’ve see builds that cut across open areas or right beside builds but don’t connect actually end up cutting other people off from future expansion. This is much different that two people that are expanding their cities and then run into each other.

People can build what they want. The challenge and issue comes when they assume their build has rights but don’t feel others in the area have rights or they lack the empathy to just stay building in their area versus spreading all over the place or linking people.

For me, that roughly is why roads of any size crossing planets aren’t helpful. Prestige and footfall didn’t help in this area too…

2 Likes

Adding more plots to turn everything into a settlement IS a change, though.

IDK looking at something and saying “let’s take this from 1:5 to 1:2.3” seems like a reasonable balancing change if they’re unhappy with the current balance as “emergent gameplay” evolves.

As I noted above you can still achieve 1:7 but that takes more investment in time and materials. It’s not just running in a straight line and blocking people off of massive swaths of land.

A. I meant the rows (was just referencing the future build/rows - there are no roads there, just plots). I think you were having a convo about literal roads with someone else :woman_shrugging:

B. The game is going to have to decide if it wants people to build together or disallow it. You can’t allow people to plot wherever they want, yet prevent people that might eventually not get along plot next to each other, while trying to explain to a noob why they cannot have the “available” plot. If you’re going to restrict/control builds, then do so and make it known. If not, then don’t. (Personally, I don’t think any entity - large or small - should be forcefully merged/connected, roads or no roads.)

Having it wishy-washy-maybe-kinda-not-sure-in-between is frustrating everyone :disappointed:

yup :+1:

2 Likes

I mean, you kinda did this to me lol. You plotted all the way across a huge lake and then took my backyard - never built anything on it. The land became useless to me so I had to move.

5 Likes

It just makes it more expensive, but since you can throw real money or power leveling at plots it doesn’t solve anything.

hmm, maybe the material cost is not yet fixed…

I think with all of these new blocks & changes coming, we are entering the realm of “it’s not reasonable for people to make everything themselves anymore”. People are going to have to specialize and discover what they like to do the most: farming, gathering, crafting, etc. It’s going to be fun to discover a little nugget of a shop that has that specific trellis that you love, or that smoothie you crave. There will always be huge shops and cool variety shops - I don’t think they will be able to keep up with everything anymore lol.

devs = :trophy::+1:

P.S. Aprilisawesome … whomever you are… you are not human! You are the Nebraska Furniture Mart of Boundless :grin::boundless:

3 Likes

Is this a new machine? :smiley: maybe a pulverizer?? Could be used for multiple things!

1 Like

@james for example a pulverizer machine can also be used as a sort of recycler. It can break down excess storage containers, workbenches, work tables, buckets, basic cabinets, the new storage containers down into like boards and nails!

Edit:
@james also, as a side note a smeltery would be cool too eventually, so you could melt down metal blocks you dont need back down to their basic components. Example melt down machined gold down into bars, bars down into nuggets if needed. Just a thought

4 Likes

Exactly what i was telling myself today while going around buying stuff. Personally i couldnt keep up long ago and i started buying most of what i consume and now its becoming even harder - thats unless you want to keep doing everything yourself and burn out quickly then call the game a grind i guess.

3 Likes

I hope we get a clear message about this game being a comunity game or not. I’m sick of seeing people fight about new features because they want to play solo or want to play as comunity.

4 Likes

Devs have always said that this is meant to be a community game. You can technically do everything alone, but it’s easier and more fun with others

Edit: spelling

10 Likes

Yeah, but when I bring that to the table people go crazzy lol

4 Likes

Probably because the topic is rehashed every two weeks haha

2 Likes

I’d guess that’s probably because it was/is advertised as being both, and I’d also guess (no stats involved) that a good number of people prefer a more solo approach, just as a good number of them prefer the community approach.

Making a decision at this point that it should be one or the other would be changing the rules on many people either way, and Boundless can little afford to lose a segment of players as big as either of those.