Testing 232: Closed Storage and Decorative Blocks!

Real life suggests both sand and gravel and since both are rather easy to gather that shouldn’t be a problem!

Then there’s the issue of what will determine the colour of the concrete? The sand or the gravel? If the sand, please, like @Stretchious suggested let us grind gravel down to sand too!!

4 Likes

Silver linings man. Any future work you do will be infinitely easier. Dont look at the past, always focus on the present and future!

Welcome back. :beers:

2 Likes

Both. Let the color be mixed like with goo.

Please remember that people build and want to create theme looks and have their build feel a certain way. Progression should not be linked to how things look.

If you want to create progression then please @James create progression across the tiers of materials that is equal. Make a super storage for stone that equals top gleam storage that is harder to make.

I don’t understand why we would want to force people to have to create Gleam builds if they want top storage. Allow people freedom to build what they want with the look and feel they want outside of the progression model.

This progression model is something I can understand we need and should keep. But progression based on material type is a bit weird because now we force people to build a certain way removing options. Case in point - high prestige builds are all marble, deco gems, etc… In EA it was Gleam.

1 Like

There is progression within materials, and limited progression across materials.

5 Likes

The use of road by James may have been confusing to you he was referring to the use of 1 plot wide paths in a zig zag back and forth pattern to lock down massive amounts of area with virtually little plot investment. 10k plots using this technique locked down nearly 70k plots in this picture… all this talk of 3 plot roads is outside the scope of the plot buffer discussion.

3 Likes

Thank you Wondertruck.

2 Likes

I think Kirinvar was alluding to the fact that people will use any technique to take advantage of a system whether it is 1, 2, 3, 4, etc… At the end of the day people that exploit things extensively and in an overboard fashion end up hurting everyone and the game even more.

2 Likes

So, so happy!! :slight_smile: You’ve got to come visit sometime! And yep, aren’t the new blocks the best? Soooo in love with them! :heart_eyes: Anyways, let me know if you need any help getting back up and running!

1 Like

this is a FANTASTIC solution, James!!

not for me, I would still use the other ones for decoration! the barrel looks amazing, and even the (smallest) box for my tax files looks good!

:scream: ooh how about adding another recipe for changing gravel into sand as well! (therefore using sand as the colour decider for concrete)
(ha! @Stretchious i typed it before i saw your comment :stuck_out_tongue: )

for a smooth concrete, yes :slight_smile: . if gravel is thrown in the mix maybe use that recipe for a different, maybe more gritty texture or a more advanced one

I hope so. much easier to collect, as it should be. you are already crafting the concrete.
besides, making concrete isn’t -really- that advanced… a monkey could do it lol :joy:

3 Likes

Hey, Thanks! I’ll definitely drop by sometime soon. Trying to catch up on some mats right now. So, going mining for some Gems and metals for now so I can craft me some tools. Then I might have a look at what’s left on the current Exos for the heck of it lol. So, I guess I’ll see ya later or within the next few days at least. I still have that QS to grind for on NMS too. I guess I’m gonna be busy lol. :wink:

1 Like

(not all @ you Xal, just going off your comment)

Hmm. Boundless refers to itself as a building game. Have you folks seen the massive things people have built in other games? It’s what serious builders do. Some of those people even have portfolios of their work and get paid $$$ irl to build things for other players/businesses. They fill up club worlds and planets with statues, mansions, abstract art, etc. I actually haven’t seen anything in BL on that scale yet.

Devil’s advocate…if that person had enough plots to fill in those roads(sp=rows) and make a “legit” build/city, is that ok? Where do you draw the line? How are we suppose to know where that line is? TBH, I’ve considered buying enough plots to cover an entire planet myself. I wasn’t aware this would be frowned upon.

“You can build, but not here.”
“You can build, but not that big.”
“You can build, but not that way.”
“You can build that, but we might change it later.”

9 Likes

You know, if you did this TO BUILD STUFF I would be super impressed.

Sadly more of what we see is people doing junk like that picture floating around TO STOP OTHER PEOPLE FROM BUILDING STUFF and if makes me sad.

2 Likes

I know those people doing that specific plotting have some pretty cool building plans. Jus sayn.

*had

I’ve made several comments about the practice as it has some technical interest to me in how it affects the ‘system’ determination of how plotteed a world is and also I’d like to know if they’re plotted in such a way that the land is still usable during the interim.

But I don’t honestly care enough to go check :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

It’s a gray area, how you might feel looking at something, i mean emotions > logic sometimes.

Knowing that they’ve leveraged the buffer system meant to protect player sovereignty to claim far more than they have bought or earned does color my thoughts on the matter. If that was a solid third of a planet plotted out it would receive (IMO) a lot less “tut-tut” reaction and lot more encouragement/congratulations.

If you have plenty of blocks on hand and actually willing to invest in some labor you can still reserve a ton of unplotted land. In the end, if the devs say it’s ok, and/or enable it with the game systems, it’s ok. They’re clearly saying this is not ok.

1 Like

@james If I had ONE comment, it would be to advise y’all to hold on on the Trelling block and to workshop-it.

Currently on testing, the Trelling block looks bad because the framing has the same color as the leaves… which… kinda makes 0 sense.

I HIGHLY recommend either of 2 options:

OPTION 1) Not doing it into a bloc and instead make it more like a glass-pane model you can place on another block and have the leaves sticking out of said block, making it look like the leaves are growing on the block. That would look FAR better than the Trelling block on testing and would open for an AWESOME new level of creation.

OPTION 2) Find some tech upgrade to have TWO colors for one block. That would open the door to a flood of new possibility. But I think this is less likely to happen.

OPTION 3) Release the trelling block as it is because who cares what I say, and do Option 1 or Option 2 right after.

Everything else I’ve seen on testing plainly just kicks @$$ and I can’t wait to use it on live.

1 Like

I prefer facts & logic. :thinking: Everyone knows idc what a build is or what it looks like, as long as it falls within CoC. Gleam towers? Awesome. Slides? Cool. Malls? Sweet. A square box? Okie dokie. MC style mud hut? Alrighty.

If we aren’t allowed to use more than X plots on a planet, then we need to be made aware of that beforehand imo. Maybe it was an oversight, that’s fine. I’m glad I didn’t spend $$$$ buying cubits for plots already, to do what I was thinking. :woman_shrugging:

Without club worlds, rental planets, and with supposed free rein across 50 sprawling planets…why wouldn’t someone try to do this?

2 Likes

Will plants be paintable? Still hoping to fix my spineback problem

A few blocks and a series of beacons will still allow you to net a 1:7 ratio if you want to block off a planet.