Testing 232: Closed Storage and Decorative Blocks!

if this is true then that is a problem. If we cannot get new players to play then the game does not grow.

5 Likes

Sorry but I have to ask why would concrete not be intended for new players?

2 Likes

Belly button lint!

1 Like

Why are we using WASD to move when this is not Half-Life 3?
Or why are we still using Qwerty-Keyboards while it’s no longer technically necessary?

Point is, it’s always a good idea to adopt established concepts and metaphors that are already engrained in players heads, when you are triying to do the exact same thing.
It makes it easy for players to make the transition and you have to explain less things.
I would agree with you if the request was for redstone, but water, buckets and placeable water all exist in the game as items and as concepts, but they work differently for no obvious reason. So it’s almost predetermined to confuse people coming from minecraft.

Of course there is a historical reason why it’s different in boundless (it’s a design conflict with how buckets work for cooking), but only avid forum readers can know that, to everyone else it just looks like bad design.

6 Likes

I do have to agree with this point to a degree. In a lot of games, you do use a bucket to gather water to place elsewhere (in Tr it’s a sponge). Perhaps liquids for cooking should be made/collected in a flask or vial? Water for large projects like a farm should use the bucket?

In the same token, BL is a bit different and does things in it’s own way. I don’t expect it to be MC 2.0 - not sure why so many people seem to. :woman_shrugging: To create a portal in MC, you ignite a frame of obsidian blocks and never fuel it…will people expect this of BL in the future? In Tr, once you craft a portal, you never fuel it and you can make as many as you want.

I guess I am kinda 50/50 on this matter.

1 Like

No because it isn’t a simple gameplay function. Nor does it make modern logical sense.

1 Like

Wait BL makes modern logical sense? I mean it’s a huge mix of advanced technology and not so much technology so what is modern in BL?

(MC or BL…bc neither do lol) & Exactly. Boundless is a sandbox game, not MC 2 or an Earth sim. It’s an imaginary, fun, game world. :blush:

1 Like

Concrete and terracotta weren’t really easy in MC either, iirc… especially getting them in quantity or a specific color. I’m curious why people think all blocks should be so easy to access. Some players are building big things out of solid marble and mosaic etc. pre-nerf. How hard is it? :thinking::thinking:

6 Likes

maybe they played the creative mode where you could give yourself anything and everything?

I mean, we have flying squid geese that vacuum us up into the sky, a grapple like Spider-man, hammers that make noises…not really MC or irl stuff :woman_shrugging: and I like it :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Yep, I’m in favor not of making things easier myself, but of providing a couple different ways to get the most desired/needed things like the bonding agents and Oort - there should be stuff that you have to work for, but being a sandbox where the ideal is we have different roles, maybe providing a few ways of going about it - so you aren’t locked into, say, hunt or buy, for example. The hard part with that though is balancing it so one doesn’t have a clear advantage - instead making it more so that the pathways just appeal to different playstyles (mine vs hunt… craft vs explore… and such).

Well, my reasoning is that we use concrete as a very basic building material, not some high-end one. Russian 1950’s tenement housing = Concrete, Versailles= Marble, Gold & Other metals, Mosaics, etc. Yes, there was a point where polished concrete was a big thing for counters and floors, but that didn’t last too long. Even so, it was still cheaper than granite and marble and many others.

I was just beginning to like this game again, and now I just want to say [redacted] and walk away again. Guess is a good thing I have that 16 week fuel in my beacons.

1 Like

It doesn’t matter what Boundless is because itll be compared to the gold standard in voxel mmo’s.

2 Likes

Plaster would actually be really fantastic, we need a nice smooth texture that blends well. If it happened to get its color from sand that would be better yet.
It doesn’t have to be high prestige or anything, I just want it to accent builds.

This is how/why we got concrete.

There was a simple recipe proposed with ingredients that are available on basically every planet but some people complained because it required pre-crafting one ingredient …

Now it doesn’t.

The only ingredient that can’t be gathered on every planet is farmable so it’s not exactly a preposterous recipe.

6 Likes

The ancient Oortians, in their endless toiling, perfected the art of what many thought impossible. The infamous concrete recipe required the timely addition of an inorganic kindling shred to properly fuel the chemical reaction of the setting process. Now we build sidewalks out of it and call it mundane.

3 Likes

Indeed we do, and it’s great that Boundless has things that make it stand out as different. But that doesn’t need to exclude us from also having good ideas that other games have if it is practical, and will make the game better or more intuitive.

There’s an increasing number of things in game where it genuinely feels like the developers sat around a table and said: “We really like this feature we saw in another game. How can we do that, but different?”, and then just stick with whatever they come up with because it’s different despite the fact that the solution they come up with is sometimes worse than the way it’s done in the other games.

2 Likes

Ummm… isnt this exactly what sand does in its raw form? I could be missing something here of course… but it’s perfectly smooth when chiseled which I assume you would be doing if used for accents?

Actually what is the difference between concrete and sand besides having that natural “wave” in it when it’s not chiseled or placed against a crafted block?

that would be prestige…