Testing 240: Compactness and Shopping API!

Would give feedback if I could see my city with the new system. I can’t. And I can’t recreate it on testing or wherever, because I play on PS4. It’s hard to give feedback on something that I can’t try for myself or directly see how it is going to impact my settlement.

I think the new colors (blue and purple plots) to the beacon map maybe should have been implemented right away in the live universe so that ALL the players could have had an idea of how it all works and impacts their stuff

7 Likes

I’m hoping you mean tentacle :rofl:

But on a serious note (not directed at Ovis), my understanding of this update is to reduce the exploit of the beacon buffer system. City’s and Mall’s shouldn’t be affected because they are generally already compact in nature as they are made up of many beacons all pretty much connected.

7 Likes

I’m going to knock together a map viewer so that we can visualise the worlds and their plots. It’s a very valid point that everyone if flying blind. It’s better we can look at real world examples than expect players to recreate layouts on Testing.

35 Likes

I am getting an error trying to play in test. It is telling me the game servers are offline.

Edit: I can reach the production side without any issues but even after restarting steam, I am unable to get to test.

Wow. I didn’t even realise that lol, yes I meant tentacle… :joy:

Also

^ that would be great and much appreciated by us lot for sure :ok_hand:

4 Likes

I think it would tho, a 2 wide road beacon not connected to anything else allows you to go as far as 25 plots, a 3 wide 35.

If it would be on a beacon that is otherwise considered compact and it’s big then it would obviously be able to extend further but not around the planet, it would also disallow the meandering plotting…

Not if the ‘holes’ are actually filled with other beacons from other players, the system takes neighbouring beacons into account.

Manual intervention I’m guessing?

What is more a problem is the oddly shaped plotting people have been doing up till now, or like @catfud several builds with meandering paths leading up to them…

3 Likes

Since this is meant to prevent such things one would figure they would need to be unplotted…

1 Like

yea thats what im thinking :frowning:
but its fine if I have to, i’ll have alot of other thing I can work on

1 Like

My plot placement has no methodology to it and I just place my plots as my natural creativity sees fit. I will be curious to see how the update deals with it. I’m sure it will be just fine. :smiley:

Can we at least include Z-axis density when factoring in compactness? A column 10 plots high should improve your score because it did cost plots.

3 Likes

@james if a great number of plots do need to be removed then a super charged beacon unplotter (or even better a new top down drag and erase/drop system) would be useful.
updated tools to go with updated policy

1 Like

I see many concerns here in that thread, i guess you should contact all people who will be affected at actual worlds to figure out with them a plan, how they will be able to prevent a struggle for their towns.
So you also can get ingame ideas, how to explain all others, what will not work in furture.

I am thinking the impact will not that much as @everyone think for the majority of us player. And the some special cases that are affected and did not made it for abusing plot reservations will get a clearing up much of the confusion.

@everone, always think about, this system is made for making things more fair and preventing abuse of the reservation system.

Pretty sure it does

1 Like

Lol I’m pretty sure people hate world roads and the system is designed to prevent them :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

im all go for the new sysem, it just sucks to have put all the work into them but hey I’ll free up 5000+ plots xD

4 Likes

Yeah agreed that sucks. I’m glad you have a good outlook on things though :blush:

3 Likes

That would be nice and solve all the problems I have with the new system :smile:

1 Like

It does not take the z-axis into account, they check plot COLUMNS

It doesn’t. It views everything as columns. So how much you have up and down doesn’t matter. It does not make you beacon any more compact.

Think about it. A beacon 100 plots long(1 wide) but goes down or up 2 plots. Is that really compact?

Some people enjoy building roads for others, and I myself find some of those long roads on lava planets quite handy. They’re providing a utility for others.

It’s a shame a lot of well meaning players will be caught up in this, due to one or two individuals.

10 Likes