Testing 240: Compactness and Shopping API!

One thing I’ve learnt from playing mmos over the years is that different people have different opinions and that’s just fine.

7 Likes

Well if youve been playing mmos like me since everquest you certainly know what happens when games fundamentally change. Have a look at the game trailer and advertisements. This was not marketed as a “care bear” game it was about conquering and as far as I know thats kinda hard to do without someone losing/and or getting muh feelnz hurt.

I know, and certainly playing MMOs like yourself for years what happens when games cater to that select noisy forum few, populations dwindle and these same folks take their crusade to the next game.

The very name Boundless infers that you can build ANYTHING anywhere yet month by month we are stifled and corralled into smaller and smaller places soon I am expecting we will be allowed only so many plots on an individual planet in a certain square type settlement. That just doesnt seem boundless to me at all.It is however the direction it seems to be heading.

Compactness is just another word for restriction but hey if thats the direction then change the trailer and the name.

People do use the roads to hunt meteors I see this a lot but as Ive said in other threads some ppl like to build roads as their creative expression so we should discriminate on whats real artistic expression vs not?

4 Likes

I use roads during solo hunts, gleambow, and filling out atlases. It makes traversing the terrain much quicker and it is nice to not worry about falling in holes.

And you can use portals to get around a planet quickly, but think about all the nice builds you might not see by always taking the portal shortcut.

With that said I get why a lot of players hate roads, especially with how some players have used them.

5 Likes
  1. I would have been bummed out to no end if I hadn’t bought them with irl money since IT IS a problem no matter what
  2. The fact that I did pay money means it feels a bit worse FOR ME, has nothing to do with me thinking these plots are more important or not, it’s all about my personal feelings
3 Likes

The only one that sounds like there feelings are hurt is you. You are also a select few who think that you have no limitation to what you can and cant do. You want the rules to bend to your needs to benefit you. This selfish attitude is what ruins mmo’s I have been following this game since it first started its crowd funding beginning please show me a link to a video that backs your statement.

3 Likes

FACTS you can flagem but you cant ignore them.

1 Like

The fact is that you and your friends are getting very annoying. I advise you to think about your behavior and the way you use to communicate.

We believe this change makes the plotting system fairer for ALL players and is in the best interest of everyone now and in the future.

And i agree with that. Many will have to rebuild their homes, it will take some time. Those who wanted to have the largest territories and such players are a minority here will suffer the most.

Your manner of communication is extremely tiresome, you perceive everything as an attack. I doubt any of the players have caused you any inconvenience, but i bet you don’t even know how many people you’ve alienated with your way of playing and communicating.

@catfud

One thing I’ve learnt from playing mmos over the years is that different people have different opinions and that’s just fine.

No doubt! But there are only two ways to communicate - acceptable and unacceptable. :boundless:

@Conkuur
PS: And now i see that you are writing something… Frankly, i’m scared of it. I would very much like you to be more friendly, there are no enemies here.

5 Likes

I agree. The way you express yourself is often more important than the content of the post.

The point made about the way the game was advertised is valid. The community has been BEGGING the devs to take that sort of language out, since as it turned out the game evolved in a carebear direction. And that’s ok. Games evolve. But they should really update the marketing language.

4 Likes

I Play solo because attitudes like yours. I enjoyed the game the way I bought it IM not the one asking for change I genuinely like it the way it is. Would I change some things? sure but I also know how to adapt. Truth is even if this goes wonky Im still gonna rise above it and Ill adapt to this but I certainly dont have to like it because you or even a Dev says so and I have every right to dispute just like you.

3 Likes

Of course! Developers always write that our opinion is important to them and we can have a sensible dialogue with them. One way or another, the majority opinion will be taken, but we can influence it.
There were a lot of things that happened in the game that i didn’t like, not only by updates, often it was caused by other players, often i was wrong in how expressed myself.
I lost the thread of dialogue! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I hope everything will be fine! :boundless:

1 Like

me too my friend me too

1 Like

I think you like to exaggerate, what do you gain from that? James clarified that the only thing that happens is that the affected beacon loses prestige only until you solve it, it is very simple, once solved you will have everything in order, they also say they will help you in every way possible, I do not see problem, I I am buying everything around me to make it compact, I also have planned to dismantle a road, to avoid problems, we just have to reposition everything and compact the beacon, I see it great, so all the space is used and you do not expand to areas that maybe , never tread again, expand, just to get more ground than others, it seems absurd, then they throw months without doing anything or even do nothing, since they just want to reserve the area, so the only thing we get is that nobody I can build on that planet, this update seems fair to me, just like the reservation was, with all this we avoid trolls, I’m happy, I want to see this great project come to light

1 Like

The reservation system messed up a lot of folks and was a mess on release. It still has issues like you have to jump through hoops to release a build or store to someone. It also allowed for the spaghetti plotting so yeah ppl need to worry even you this might have some unintended consequences for you to you never know. So I dont think shes just exaggerating there is a possibility of another exploit with this or worse. Test server cant possibly recreate the live builds so its not so cut n dry as was the reservation things can happen.

I mean maybe youre right maybe folks are worried for nothing and it will go smoothly, BUT even if it does it still is putting limits on ppl who paid or earned cubits from putting those plots down. Business wise its like shooting yourself in the foot if you limit my plots you limit the cash I need or want to pay for plots right?

3 Likes

I still do not see the problem, the question is that what they are looking for is to avoid empty plots in the middle of a large or small compilation, they seek to compact the land and that you use your imagination, you can choose to build or leave it as is, you also avoid Somebody plan it, if you did it before, I see it well, because so people who expand, just to get more land, should get all the land and not just a line of a plot that walks across the planet, avoiding that others can use these places, if I get my only beacon as an error, I will look for the turns to solve it, they are warning me in advance, so, I am already, planning everything to prevent it from happening to me, something you do not do the rest, because of vagueness or because you refuse, since, you do not want to re-implant the area because you like it as it is, then if your area is compact, you will not have a problem, but if what you have is only thousands of roads, expanded by everything the planet, then I will have It is problems, in addition to only making roads because if it is absurd, I do not see the logic, everything comes because someone has used the reserve plots, as use plots, so they have obtained a large plot, which, half is without booking

Yeah, the reservation system has its own nuances. I would like to give some of my plots to other people or replot, but can’t do it because in a foreign zone and will lose territory. I’m sure the developers would help me if i asked! I’ve received similar help before. We can always count on support. This is what concerns the reservation system.

About the upcoming update. After all, we were given a chance and time to adapt to this! Roads will not lose their connecting function and we can still make money on this until we rebuild.
I really hope that new cities will be born from this, even more beautiful and meaningful!
As you can see, i am impenetrably optimistic :crazy_face::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

In general, i dream about a system of vertical reservation and lease of territories, but this will not happen :face_with_head_bandage:

The problem is tho that the one beacon I am sure of is going to be a problem is just a long small one.

If I had known this would be how the game would change I would have added these plots to my big compact beacon instead of doing it as a separate beacon. I can of course replot now but that is unwise since that might cause more problems so I will have to wait.

And then once this update hits I will have to spend hours on replotting…

3 Likes

It theory it should work fine. The main reason is others that fill in the space around you compacts your beacon. (If needed) The only negative I see in this is you value prestige, you don’t build in a compact way, and as builds diminish around you it can now affect your prestige on your beacon. So their may always be a fluctuation.

1 Like

One thing that this system does and what some do not seem to get is a problem is that cities or anything really has to be as square as possible.

If I want to make a 30 plots by 10 plots building this system might not allow that…

3 Likes

I mean I understand everything you guys are saying. Im not really trying to be difficult. Im just shining some light on the possible implications and possible consequences.

Heres an example lets say player A has a settlement he can no longer expand in hes got just enough to build a road to another section well he might have a ways to go to get to his new spot well it looks like hes just stuck and will have to just create a new area. I mean there are other scenarios I can think of I just want my thoughts out there.

Me I got builds all over I dont keep to one planet. I do have roads but only one planet so Im not that concerned about me BUT I am concerned about losing more ppl and being cornered into a tight stamp like build. Again some ppl love to build roads and thats a shame that they will be limited. All these issues could be handled without new systems and new codes which is why I have been a proponent for GMs in game.

5 Likes

The conquer portion he refers to is not a conquer other players, it says conquer ancient threats. His argument was they said we can do this but no where in the descriptor does it justify player griefing, trolling, or conquering. This is why we are getting this patch to prevent abuses.