Testing 240: Compactness and Shopping API!

I believe this was meant for me then? Problem with that piece of text is that my beacons did not suddenly become uncompact they are right away when this system will be implemented on Live.

My question is, will game mods (devs) be notified of ALL the beacons in all the worlds that are like that AND, most importantly, how will those existing (and new) be handled?

How much time before action is taken, etc.?

1 Like

No. If you don’t correct it, action may be taken:

I think when the system is added, the notifications would prob overwhelm the moderators/devs.

I think James said he’s working on something so that he can take a peek at the worlds before it’s added. I would guess he’s going to PM people that might have significant compactness issues?

I would be okay with a public forum list of names + planets of players that will need to edit their places. I know my name will be on that list for Gyosha…wondering if my place on Delta will be in compliance though.

1 Like

Is it likely that saving the connecting function of roads is only a mitigating factor? We will still have to solve this issue somehow?

We will otherwise it would not make any sense to introduce this to solve old issues…

1 Like

Absolutely agree

Think of it as a density issue (if that helps). The more dense your plots are, the more likely you will be in compliance.

The less dense and strung out your plots are (including roads/bridges, future expansion areas, large holes, etc) - the more likely you are to receive a low or negative score & you will have to correct it.

zero compactness is still “valid”, its only negative compactness that is not allowed and other than neighbouring beacons changing/being removed, cannot become negative via adding/removing plots as the game stops you.

if you do become negative, then you can add/remove plots freely and are expected to make yourself compact again.

3 Likes

Does this mean that i can leave everything as it is now, even if it contradicts the rules of compactness?

I’m guessing you can only add plots in a place that will make you compact again and not anywhere right?

:+1:

I was pointing that out because players are used to placing more plots to correct bridging settlement errors and roads. With the new system, you cannot do this until you delete at least one plot (not a big deal, but some players might be confused by it).

Edit to add: I can go on the test server and try it again, but you can’t place plots once you hit zero on that beacon.

Edit 2: I tried it again…I was blocked from plotting in the area where I hit 2 or less compactness, but I was able to plot in an area on the beacon that had a better compactness score.

1 Like

Honestly, I think the whole plot system is getting too complex. It’s like we’re going down a rabbit hole that will never fully rectify itself. We’re looking for a perfect system that will never be perfect.

3 Likes

What about those who have already done so and who are satisfied with everything?

@Cuetzpalomitl if you have zero compactness you should delete some plot first

It depends on the shape.

The system will let you plot or unplot as long as the score doesn’t go below 0.

• Yes - all beacons are reported to us.
  • We will work for players to help them make alterations where required.
  • Players who basically ignore us will have their beacons altered manually. This will be reserved for the most extreme cases where the reservations have been abused.

We’re not expecting people to instantly resolve this stuff. We know it’ll take time. We just want to gradually move to a more consistent set of rules for everyone.

IMO - it just feels complicated because we’re discussing the implementation. In game it’s pretty simple - you either can or can’t plot. Which is no different to what already happens when you try to claim into someone else’s beacon or reservations, or split your own beacon, etc.

14 Likes

Let’s assume I want to forcefully connect two settlements. Here is how I would create a prestige link with the new system.

• Create a two wide prestige link as long as possible
  • Use additional beacons perpendicular to the link to increase compactness
  • Make the link longer as long as now possible
  • Remove the perpendicular beacons, which will drop my prestige link into negative value
  • Now that the prestige link beacon is negative I’m finally free again to plot as I see fit and forcefully connect other settlements.

The only punishment I have is that my road does not add any prestige to my settlement, but most of these prestige links are only plotted, not build, anyway.

Looks like the system is like the buffer system. Well intend that only makes it worse.

I liked the first idea of james. With this correction, that prestige links can still link everything together, I’m against this idea. It’s another change that makes the game more annoying to use without any gain at all.

If you’re talking simple coding logic then it is a matter of “can” and “can’t”, however, we’re also talking about the players playing the game.

People in game will want to know why they can or can’t plot a certain way. People can clearly see that someone else owns another’s plot but a shape is not as obvious so you would really need a way to show it just as clear as your example if that’s what you’re expecting it to be in game.

Long live to the Big Migration!
Let’s build a City of New Order! :globe_with_meridians:

1 Like

Ive been having problems getting motivated to do stuff in this game last few months, I’ve been playing a lot less and if this compactness thing ends up hurting some of my builds it might be the straw that breaks the camels back.

5 Likes

This seems like the most appropriate time to mention Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg: Roughly translated means, “you fish on your side of the river, I fish on my side of the river, nobody fish in the middle.”

:rofl:

1 Like

Hello everybody

Here I am French and my English is very limited so I will help me with Google translation hoping that you can understand.

I have been playing Boundless for 3 months now and like many of you I really enjoy it. I am not in the habit of posting on forums, even if it is the best way to be known in a community, but I had to react about this subject.
So here is my feeling:
I do not see why the subject of the roads poses problems for some, the roads are not a problem in my opinion and then you are not obliged to borrow it. I think rather that those whose roads annoys that because of it one passes to quote your beacon so you do not get your precious footfall. Remember that each person has purchased the game and is subject to the same rule.
Should a person who spends IRL money be more advantaged than others? No of course it’s just a way to move faster in the game is the P2W system. How do you want to advance the game, by making war ? A player create a road? Make one too and connect it to his instead of spying on what he’s doing or building abandoned sand bases for example ,only to block him. I understand that for some of you ,prestige and the full bank account is all that matters. Boundless is a union game. Do not complain about these new rules, we are in fact responsible, even if with my 1000 plots I do not feel concerned. I do not judge anyone here I give my feelings and if this continues people will leave the game, is that really what we want?
I hope you will not judge me I give my opinion only to react . Come on ! you are a great community let’s play together we can do it don’t break the game.
Thank you for reading and sorry for my poor English
Atubioo everybody.

1 Like