Testing 240: Compactness and Shopping API!

Fair enough. So all that’s really changed is that now people will need to ‘work towards’ their town setup to make it less sprawling in order to get the footfall to pay for the buffs?

I agree that it’s frustrating and unfortunate when rules changed (irrespective of whether they are for the better or not), but it’s not like this is a complete lockout.

1 Like

We did consider the idea of having a guild controlled “weekly guild membership coin charge”.

This would mean that to be a member of the guild you need to automatically pay the membership fee. I’m pretty sure this was discussed in the past.

5 Likes

Oh yes. I agree with that. Come to my city. I have it plotted to the core with a underground city going in. I have interconnected roads through it. I would hate to be penalized for this. There is no foal play there. We all get along super good. No drama and team work. No issues with beacons. I cannot just pull plots back that are 18 plots tall and dug out to the core. That would suck. Lol

3 Likes

Hmm, I could see that being difficult. It’s a shame the plot density only works on a 2D column map and doesn’t factor in number of plots within a column (that I’m aware of… maybe it does). If that were possible, it may help scenarios like this a lot.

I don’t think we should reject this Beacon Compactness system right away. First, let’s test it thoroughly.
Let’s see what the options are and whether we might be able to make our existing beacons workable with a few adjustments here and there.
I agree with the DEVs that this solution is the best for our game and long-term gaming pleasure.
Keep on developing with each other…
and to you all at DEV-HQ, good work so far, thank you :+1:

6 Likes

Oh wow. I missed it I’m sure. I do not recall at least. This sounds on the same page as having a spot in your inventory for oort that to use a portal you spend oort. Of course In order For that to happen oort would need to be obtained by daily activities and this may make it hard for new players. But maybe not in the long run. The more you play and log in the more oort you get to travel around and no hunting required for the non hunter. I’m tired of hunting honestly. But as far as this guild requirement I may be 100 percent for this! I mean, why not. :slight_smile:

1 Like

gonna try to test this a little and post some examples:

I can add plots to the left hand side but not the right

1 Like

could the new system apply only to beacons placed after this update so as to not cause upset/drama amongst players with current builds that will be adversely affected?
just a thought…

2 Likes

Already answered i think

5 Likes

didn’t intend to be abusing anything…just want a game for some escapism and to build something . Can deal with no footfall and prestige but not being able to add plots could prove tricky.
maybe it’s time to move on anyhow…

gonna wait and see how this plays out then decide.

7 Likes

Level 3,287! How many plots you got?! Around 30k? :eyes:

1 Like

a lot of those in an uncompact manner…naughty me :grin: :expressionless:

2 Likes

Sadly I can’t test it but from most posts i see my current projects should be fine.
If it where and had to change or add something I should be able to do this. And still have plots to spare (Thank god i have torn down most of Anterra). :joy::rofl::joy::rofl:

@james
would it be possible to get an update first which will implement the system without hard activating it

so we see which beacons are realy affected and can easy fix them in 1-2 weeks without unclaiming only to reclaim maybe even destroy builds in the progess just to fix ?

4 Likes

That. Is nuts. :clap:

I think the new plot compactness system will be fine…we’ll just need ample time to re-adjust our plots on existing builds.

3 Likes

@james

Im getting this error when trying to swap to testing creative. it works on live tho.

1 Like

My own Case aside, I think if the system is implemented as is there will be a lot of people wondering what happened to their settlement and will respond accordingly.
There was an early update that implemented plot changes that had to be back tracked as there was an uproar. The prestige change also Caused some fair amount of drama and quitting.
I’m very happy for the people this won’t affect but I suspect there are more than we think that will be affected.

3 Likes

You know this is easily fixable by just opening a couple new planets. Like Catfud and many of us here we get more and more plots everyday so when this happens youre bound to bump heads with someone somewhere.

I always have and always will look at this as a policing issue that (and I still think) if there was just an in game GM that you could contact immediately then these things would not fester and send folks to a new game.

Adding more complexity to an already complex system does nothing more then confuse both old and newer players. The newer players are already overwhelmed just learning and the older are just tired of new systems that confine or restrict building and having to suffer yet another hurdle.

I mean youve got a good game here I just dont get why youre going out of your way to kill it.

4 Likes

I think there should be some visual examples on knowledge or elsewhere inside game to clear confusion about why people can’t continue plotting.

Current compact rating warnings aren’t enough to players and that will lead many questions after release if it is not made more clear in-game.

IMHO having text only explanation is not enough or at least it seem that some players just ignore many of those tutorial messages maybe because of placement and amount of text.

I was able go negative compactness, below video how system will show purple data and give notification, I think this information is handled good way :slight_smile:. But might not be seen if player is active merchant (Notify message has same color and same icon)

1 Like