Testing 240: Compactness and Shopping API!

Still… the question regarding real life money be earned plots being somehow more important because you bought them…

1 Like

Same with my new base on Delta. I originally made it to adapt to the new more spread out buffer system…now I’m deleting plots lol.

1 Like

Did she say they were more important? I think the point was that it will “hurt more” to run damage control by having to remove or fix something that she worked on and spent real $$ on…I’m sure everyone can understand that. I don’t speak for her though, you’ll have to ask her.

2 Likes

By bring up the plots in question are plots she paid for with real money, I think it was clearly insinuated and my response as such was appropriate.

If she didn’t intend to imply it perhaps she could clarify.

Anyway, I’m more of a wait and see and roll with the MMO punches of constant change and rebalance kind of player… whether the plots affected are paid for or earned with XP I’ll figure it out and adjust what I need. Of the problem can’t be solved due to a beacon owned by a non existent player, I’ll go to the dev team who have been super helpful and responsive so far.

2 Likes

+1. I was hoping to test the Shopping API but I am met with this as well.

1 Like

Oh ok, dang. That’s more winding then I was imagining.

I’ll wait to see how this plays out in live, but I think this is probably a good idea? Emphasis on the question mark.

I’m relatively confident that the malls will be ok. I don’t think James would do something that hurts them.

Also, perhaps release 1 or 2 new planets where these rules don’t apply.

1 Like

Do you need to delete? When you hit the threshold, could you not just throw down a new beacon and continue to plot? I’m not being facetious, I’m PS4 and so I am not on the testing server… I have it on PC too, but I’m horrible at the controls so I never really use it.

1 Like

I think james said in the post that chaining beacons to circumvent the rules is punishable.

3 Likes

I think James said this would not be allowed.

I posted screenshots above on what I came across on the testing server. If there are any open areas, roads, bridges that are narrow in any way…they could cause issues. Even if they weren’t malicious. I think the new system will be fine…just having to move plots and builds around will be a huge pain again.

If plotted areas are too narrow, it could split a city into parts, block ff, etc…so some people will have to move some stuff around.

If plotting a new area, you have to back up and delete a plot to keep going and widen the area. Current builds will see blue/purple over plots that are in violation and must be fixed.

1 Like

Makes sense…

I guess it really boils down to build what you need. And if you build long roads, as long as you have builds to fill them in, the system will see it’s compact, right?

Example… I build a long road because I plan to expand my city… that long road will not generate footfall, because it’s just a road and not compact in the systems eyes…but, if people move in and fill the open space around the road, the beacon will become compact and generate footfall?

2 Likes

Um real easy. 1 Dont surround ppl 2. Time stamps on beacons show whose where first.3 real time conflict resolution…code doesnt solve conflict resolutions people do. Code doesnt do that. Favoritism can be monitored by chat logs. there already are CoC rules so no idea how ppl dont understand them or cant read them. For those ppl there would be GMs to explain.

2 Likes

Right, I think that is the intended use. Which I think makes sense. Roads are for ease of use in society not really revenue makers, it’s the building and businessss around that make money. So it would make sense that road intended plots dont gen ff.

Hmmmm i think this is Not good .
Since realase i build on river Towns, when this Update come and any problems in the town whit this update then only 2 option, destroy river towns and build a new city or Quit the game.
I think about more option 2

4 Likes

I would have complained just as hard if I had earned all the plots by playing BUT the fact that I did spend money to gain plots on that character makes it feel worse to me. I get that for you and others it does not make a difference, yet for me it makes it that much worse.

What also comes into play for me is that if the devs would have been able to add Deluxe upgrade earlier to PSN I would have bought those cubits for my PS4 main and then I probably would have made a separate beacon (is easier to do) but I now could have added it to my main huge, very high compactness rating, beacon. Now I need to unplot other places on my main, then remove that road beacon on my Steam account, use the Steam account plots to replot the ones my main unplotted, then use my PS4 main’s plots to replot the road by adding them to my main beacon…

It’s kinda funny tho, in this particular case it’s a whole separate account, but if I had done this on one of my alts on PS4 it would be just as bad and if the game allowed cubits/plot sharing among characters that would not happen. And am sure others are in this situation with an alt on their main account…

Destroying river towns is a bit far. I’m sure through managing of plots it can be fixed. At this point I dont think we have a completely clear idea of how it truly affects live builds. River towns is fairly compact I think.

@james and everyone here…

PROPOSAL

What if ‘an uncompact road beacon’ would NOT split up settlements but would get its prestige set to 0 (and thus 0 footfall) for that beacon alone?

It would mean that in my instance I will keep Great City status, don’t end up with 10 smaller settlements and won’t need to stress out to get this solved. I can solve it over time without any stress whatsoever.

What does everyone think of this idea?

4 Likes

good idea though not sure if your proposal would solve james’s concerns.
The whole beacon system is a bit effed up and no amount of patching as you go will help. People will adapt and newer, even more drastic solutions will have to be found.

Just to be clear I’ve never knowingly had someone upset with my meanderings (1 person recently asked me to pull back and I did straight away…I had been about 25 plots away from the edge of their build). I’ve been here, I’ve gone there and never during my whole time playing have I had a dev Come up to me and go tsk tsk but under this update I would not be able to put down any more plots.
Consistency. It’s important.

1 Like

I think if im reading this right they want so called roads to be like blank plots that can can join you but not absorb others? Its really vague to me. I really dont get it.

1 Like