Testing 249: Melee Weapons, Shields and Local Universes - continued

Please remember that if the plots your wife has are touching a player you don’t know, you will never want to unplot and replot to you because the other beacon will likely reserve the space the second you unplot. So you should keep those plots on the same character they were put down on so you keep the “time history.”

I hope that makes sense. If not - basically plot has a time value and it used to determine who owns the reserved space around it. This is important when you touch other plots because it will decide who gets reserved space.

If it is against people you know, you can always work it out. If it is against someone you don’t know then you could lose that area and never get it back. So you have to be careful. That is why many of us create larger buffers around our builds and never touch the plots so we keep that reserved space due to our plot being the “oldest time.”

3 Likes

I disagree, I read James post that they do plan to nerf the cubits rewards. It is very important that we do give them feedback on the amount of the nerf because if they go to far (which they currently do) the game will not be playable as we currently do. Take a loot at the table I’ve posted. My mains plots are mostly used up. I would either have to deconstruct some of my farms or build them much smaller (not fun) or spend 700.- (not going to happen).

4 Likes

Increasing the amount of xp per level as you go up is not a bad thing by itself, it should be challenging to level up higher but there is a difference between having to grind mindlessly and doing difficult tasks with a bigger reward.

Right now I don’t think we have any good higher level activities that reward us accordingly besides crafting.

So if the game is going to move in this direction which I don’t think is a bad idea, then we need new activities for everyone.

For hunters it’s easy, we need to improve the rewards we get from mobs and meteors, but for now let’s focus on XP.
We should be able to get more XP as we face stronger enemies and less XP for doing the opposite.
Devs could add higher tier planets(or dungeons if we ever get them) with stronger mobs every time the level cap is increased.

Crafting is also not a problem i believe, i hope that we also eventually get better materials and tools to craft as we level up.

But then we have all the other activities that have a very poor reward system like building, forging, farming and foraging.

We could say “just increase the xp for everything they do” but that would lead to problems like bots farming easy xp by placing blocks and removing them, so we need to think in a good way to improve these without breaking the game.

If we can’t get this then the increase on XP per level needs to be reduced by a lot because it’s going to be painful to grind xp.

5 Likes

I’m not saying don’t talk about that but you all will hurt yourself if you just focus on the XP number value versus the actual % increase required per level or how the other game mechanics work. in the leveling aspect. The issue with the Devs is ALWAYS the system and not the values of the balance in it.

They can tweak the system for the balance however they want but if the overall game mechanic of the system is bad then we want to focus on that. I know this because I’ve talked to James (via voice) the most out of anyone here in this game about “the systems” inside it and how to change them. Nothing ever was about the values as much as it was how - this system affects the other system, etc.

So I still think we should be breaking out “plot” rewards from XP leveling or something so the system supports progression in skills AND not require progression in building.

Now they might have settled on a nerf to stop large plots but that doesn’t really feel like James at all. Rarely have I ever seen them specifically put in nerfs to stop actions. Usually they allow people options.

Plots should mainly be earned through building, not mining or crafting. It’s dumb that people who need plots don’t have them and people who don’t need them to build have them.

But such a change is outside the scope of the next patch and I’m not a game dev to come up with a perfect solution to that anyway.

I can only offer them feedback that, if they nerf the amount of plots I gain even the slightest, I won’t be able to continue playing the game the way I currently do. And depending on the numbers of the nerf I won’t be able to play it at all.

The current 4.6 times nerf is way to big for me to “just grind around it”. I haven’t played a minute without an active XP pie since they changed the pie it and I still have to go out of my way to grind for plots.

6 Likes

pls use the detail function from the forum to hide the table, the complete table is just overkill

if you dont know how to use look here

i make some charts for a better visualization

all charts here in the second table
if you click on the table you can see the data from the line

if you want some more charts just say it than i will add them :grinning:

2 Likes

Im reading that these are supposedly “just for solo” because it needs to be balanced?

If the rules only apply to non mmo… then why do players get punished for not wanting to play with others?

Does that really look like fun? 150-180 takes up almost as mch xp as 0-100 really…

edit oh great now there is level 190, why does grind == fun?

@DKPuncherello see what happens when you spend all day eating silk yellow gleam and pooping out levels? :rofl:

1 Like

So ignoring that “curve” is the system they are using and how it works a good one? That is what I’m trying to make sure everyone that is really looking into this can agree on or not. That curve can be adjusted but the system will be much harder.

Can we agree that the “system” makes sense? Or what needs to change there?

2 Likes

Can you be more specific about what you mean by “the system”? Most of the change is in the numbers.

1 Like

The problem is the people that abuse the plot system and build horizontally with 1 plot high beacons, go look at biitual and you can see what i mean…

I had to run for a couple of minutes to get out of a plot jivita owns on biitual with nothing built… and even then i couldnt build because it has plot reservations turned on…

thats what needs balance, the big plot players not the joe blow little guys that have way less with stuff actually built.

Edit: plots need a variable rate, like building vertically should be cheaper if you already own the plot below it, i would imagine a cylinder should be cheaper than a pizza box…

3 Likes

3 million xp thinking that not all players have the most prestigious blocks it’s going to be really hard to level up even for big builder, unless he has a big wallet to buy those blocks. Ok maybe this will force us to farm the resources , keep the economy going (hammers, teaching pies etc…) play the game as entended, but it’s a brutal change.

I’m not talking about plotting on planets. I am talking about the new system for getting levels. Outside of the current curve is the system making sense and works ok or are there flaws in it, etc. That is what is being focused on in this patch on due to the new skills required.

1 Like

except plots are basically synonymous with levels

this does not look like fun to get to 190… what is the point if all the skill pages will be exactly the same except for 3 or 4 epic skills?

1 Like

The system is the game mechanic. Right now it looks like a linear value of XP to reward or something like that. Does that make sense or how can the mechanic be changed. They can always balance that curve to be less but the inputs of that – XP for certain work, etc is what is important.

like should the system stop at level 190? Do people max their character? etc…

Putting aside the tweaking thing for the XP, I don’t really see the reason for the change. What was not working before with leveling? You could easily change the skill sheets to just be able to unlock everything on one page based on the time played. Every time you make a level you get skill points, apply rinse repeat. At some point (insert whatever level you want) you have unlocked everything with skill points. Done.

IMO the only other reason to continue making levels after that is for cubits - to buy plots or outfits/skins.

I could be a little slow here but what is the point of the change then if not to stop the cubits? Willing to hear a good reason (might not agree but will listen).

4 Likes

actually this does point out one thing, If you can fill out the entire character sheet at max level I honestly feel that it just further reinforces the fact that limiting what is craft able with a skill is pointless and a waste of points.

Today not being able to craft a pie doesnt stop me from making pies, being lazy does, if im cheap i can pick the same skills you pick the only thing limiting what people can build based on a skill does is make us annoyed we have to remember to be on our home plot, switch the current plot to the our home plot or wait 15 minutes…

I get 5 skill pages and even with the interlocks between crafting skills i could still make everything on 1 character.

throw out those crafting skills and suddenly there is more room on that page.

4 Likes

Yeah this is the point I am a bit confused with and didn’t really get into it this summer when it came up. It seems like it is still the same and just an extension of instead of 200k to a larger value. Maybe the underlying system is still the same and it really is just the “balance” that is off.

I’d doubt they want to stop cubits but they might be looking at slowing “planet” growth on public planets. But, that honestly seems stupid because James would know and see that Sovereign’s have spread us out a lot and with Local Universe coming it spreads it even more.

Obviously this is a result of Solo Mode, but I’m almost 100% certain it will hit MMO because of this and likely other content coming.

1 Like

If you separate the game mechanic from the math and curves that come with it, you get “xp gives level. levels give skill points and cubits. cubits give plots”.

This has not changed with this update, so I don’t know what you’re getting at.

Using linear XP to level ratio and logistic XP to cubit/plot ratio like they are is fine and normal, but the formula they are (sort of) using is hostile.
Using logistic curve (they are only sort of using this, but it’s the closest model) for xp to cubit is… fine. It means that after a certain point, they would prefer that you get rid of old builds rather than just making more new ones. They should be very careful about both the velocity of the spike in the curve as well as the height of the high flat part(asymptote in case you still remember school), as those are going to be the things that cause players to bounce, and since this isn’t a high population F2P game, it’s going to be just bounce, not churn.

If they weren’t planning to force that “I guess I can’t build something new unless I pay up or reclaim”, then, imo, they absolutely must divorce plots/cubits from levels before they make this change. Having skill points 370-380 cost as much as points 0-100 is fine and, in my opinion, a very good thing in this case. As I’ve said before, applying this to cubits has a very different effect.

5 Likes

I would have preferred a system of skill levels obtained via use than points. Either way we will get more skills in the future and that means they will increase the skill point number. So that is why I am concerned with the system now because today it is 3 mil a level and in the future does that mean 10 mil and now I’m even getting plots once a year via levels.

That is why I’m trying to get people to focus on the system… because we WILL get new skills as content is released.

4 Likes

There are two things coupled with levels. Skill points and plots (in the form of cubits).

Does it make sense that levels take progressively longer to obtain? Maybe, maybe not. Personally I think it took to long back then to reach level 50. Back then I used an iron hammer, not a forged 3x3 tool.

The problem is that the new talent system still forces you to choose what you take next and will take forever to fill up. Delaying something like mass crafting is still not an option, which means new player will still need to probably create a crafting alt.

Other useful but non-essential talents will still be delayed. You just can’t pick light source before the damage epic or environment protection.

I think it would be better if the game would just unlock most talents at specific levels. Like mass crafting at level 10 and environment protection at 20 and so on. That way you could look forward to a level (yay, something new) instead of getting trapped with analyses paralyses after every level up.

The new talent system puts the focus, from a players point of view, on what you can’t have yet. If you would just unlock stuff while leveling up it would put the focus on what you get next level.

Does it make sense that cubits take longer and longer to obtain? Not at all, cubits is a resource needed to play the game. This should be flat from he beginning. There is no “character progression” or anything related to cubits.

7 Likes