Testing 249: Melee Weapons, Shields and Local Universes - continued

Not as long since they announced MP4 but I’m still waiting for a metroid game since the last one lol.

2 Likes

Yeah what I heard was that they were helping make BG3, but then yesterday I learnt it came out in October last year, as early access… Does that mean they’re working on it until it’s out of early access, or are they already done? I don’t know, and I’m confused.

1 Like

I looked into the early acces. At the time is was only the first level playable. I’m sure its expanded now, but still not the full game…

1 Like

Sounds from the reading I’ve done that BG3 has lots and lots of work to go on it. That also led to another speculation I had made - that maybe BG3 workers are enduring some serious crunch, and that really could explain the silence here if so. Reason being, crunch seems to be a really sensitive topic in the industry, I saw one article where the investigator said almost nobody would talk. And Larian is clearly trying to recruit, from what that video showed at around 35-40:00.

Say I’m a prospective employee maybe interested in an animator posting or something here. Like many, I’m going to do all the snooping around I can. What is this company like, what is the culture here? Oooohhh, look, they have a forum for another game they did! Let’s read around. Now, if I were to then see the devs saying things like, "Sorry about the delays… but right now, we’re all doing 16-7 on this latest BG3 patch. MOAR COFFEE!! :coffee: " I’d be all like, “Umm, maybe I’ll take a bit less money and go to Indie Studio X down the road there…”

Basically, the silence if there is massive, long-term crunch there then makes complete sense… and totally feel for them if the case.

4 Likes

I guess the early access part from a big studio is just something that’ll become more and more common, rather than what we’re seeing these days.

Still kind-of wish this game was slightly cheaper, so it’d be easier to get people to play it outside of waiting for sales. :pensive:

4 Likes

I had to pop back in because I was sure there would be SOME kind of news by now. . .

Wow. Lol

2 Likes

we are all in kind of a deep hibernation right now …
… but we are still eagerly waiting for the upcoming update I guess :thinking:

4 Likes

Well,

I wish this would help on that, but I’ll go build some more I figure. :joy:

2 Likes

i do it to every few weeks today check up kinda sad ginabean leaving tricky and raxxian empire good thing when i come back aquatopian empire will still be there thks to epic @wischl and the cookie kingdom aswell :smile: im def coming back just these last updates bring nothing to me thats fun

1 Like

i do have a question will this let me store my sovereign world offline and give me change to put it back when i feel like it cause that would finally let me be able to build aquarius i just cant run sovereign all year round i tend to work some months where i drop dead in evening :smile:

2 Likes

Not sure if this has been asked or looked into…

Does anyone know how many planets/characters a local universe would be able to maintain?

3 Likes

I would guess that would depend on your computer/server specs more than anything. It would be good to know if there is a hard CPU core to world ratio like they do with some other things, though.

3 Likes

Jiivita had 5 running in testing, and yes, its like adding expansions to a game. the more you add, the more you need the power for. He mentioned there being a built in list of “public servers”, so I imagine those folks will need quite the rig to support a large volume of planets…

Wonder if you will be able to rent servers to play with large groups of people. Like how you can Ark, mine craft and 7 days to die

I think the plan is to have a standalone executable available for things like that, but they didn’t release one. Once they do, I’m sure someone will post some data on required server resources. If nobody else does, I’ll probably at least do a couple benchmarks on an AWS product or two.

3 Likes

Ha finally a fellow ark player

1 Like

Sadly the public servers will just split up the community more … and possibly bring some together. It will be interesting to see the limits placed on these servers (player/planet limits etc)

1 Like

Has there been any change to the usage of compact oort as fuel since the last discussion on it?

1 Like

I had a dream that James-chan figured out the last problem he had and said the Update is ready to release :laughing:

18 Likes

I hope your dream comes true.

13 Likes