Testing 249: Melee Weapons, Shields and Local Universes!

Ah yes, thank you for that hint. Now I get the sense of all those popping up windows :slight_smile: I just have to expand on my patience…or have 1…2 cups of tea.
I really like this new stuff! Good that I opted to have my club time for the next year.

its like 20 items with green text last i remember with a eta of the progress, i would be curious to see what this runs like with a complete headless setup.

The skill tree rework is for all games as it needs to account for the new melee weapon and shield skills.

4 Likes

Yes, able to protect buildings and/or optional requirement for being on building mode to be able to modify plotted area would be nice.

1 Like

The complaint I remember hearing over the years is:

1. I’m not a miner, so I don’t get alot of xp.
  2. Don’t craft items, I just buy everything so I don’t gain alot of xp.
  3. I am a builder and building doesn’t provide much xp.
  4. I’m mainly a forger and sell them in my store, but forging doesn’t provide a fair amount of xp.
  5. I’m mainly a gather/explorer and hardly get any xp.

So from my experience mining and crafting are the main ways to gain xp. Hunting does provide a fair bit of xp though nothing compared to the amount of xp required in testing or which mining and crafting provides.

I feel those type of things would need to be addressed first people thinking of a large increase in xp requirement per level.

Myself I can’t think of a goldilocks zone for this. The only thing I could think of is if this is actually how it will be in the future is that if you are required for example to get 2,744,000 xp to level each time after lvl 180 then you should still get the same amount of cubits and skill points equal for every 200k xp.

I know it says after level 50 the xp requirement increases with each level. Also you gain 2 skills per level till a certain level is reach, though it still feels like an unfair change for alot of lower level players and new players.

In my past posts I’ve never been a big advocate for making the new/early game mechanics easier for players. This though I feel strongly about and feel is a bad way to go with progression.

6 Likes

after some hours of testing the new level & skill system I see now some problems or better to say I see one in my opinion gigantic problem

old level sytem testing 249
max. Level 50 180
XP for max. Level 3.304.900 164.226.900
XP for max. Level +1 200.000 2.744.000
Cubits for max Level Chest 300 300

If you was old level 854 and 2/3 you are new level 180 and if you was one off the rare level 1000 player you are new Level 191

in short
250 => 124
500 => 149
854,6 => 180
1000 => 191

but that is not the problem i mean :wink: that was only to show how level will changing

the problem is how we get new cubits for more plots and event items.

at the moment we get for every max level / every 200k xp a umbris coffer with 300 cubits
new in the testing it is like before for every max level a umbris chest BUT this max level chest now needs 2744k xp that means we need 13,72 times more xp for 300 cubits

200k xp => 300 cubits
2744k xp => 300 cubits
2744k / 200k => 13,72

how should a player get later cubits for cosmetic items and plots ?
how long should we farm xp just to get some new plots ?

solution for the problem would be:

• more chest per level
  • change the system for the chest, like every 200k xp a chest
  • add bigger chest for higher level with more cubits

you need to make something or new player will leave the game if they cant build without farming xp long time

edit answer from james.

edit 2:
cubits increase from level 50 till 190 for each level for 5 cubits
that mean start at level 50 with 300 and end at 190 with 1000 cubits

9 Likes

Maybe craftable plots? Convert gems or rocks or something into plots, divorcing them from cubits entirely? That would also remove one of the biggest “P2W” features of the game.

Edited to not suggest Oort → plots conversion since people focused on the example and not the idea.

1 Like

this will only generate a overflow of plots i think

you want to kill the market price for oort complete :joy: oorts not real cheap, but if this will happen no one can buy oorts ever again

3 Likes

And even there, you don’t get a lot of XP unless you go out of your way to farm XP. Yes, mining the right things with the right brews and food does reward you with a lot of XP. But the average, casual player will only reach a fraction of what we can get. I doubt that starberry pie, speed brew and speed 3x3 hammer is what everyone uses. Back when I started I used an unforged iron hammer on Besevrona…

It’s still a full price game and it’s unreasonable to ask players to buy the game, then spend a fortune in the shop for plots.

My small silty farm on Besevrona uses 242 plots. That’s 7260 cubits.

The biggest pack in the shop is 15000 cubits for CHF 100.-, I assume it’s about the same in USD. That’s 50 bucks for such a small build that takes about a day to build. What am I supposed to do after finishing that? Deconstruct it? Shell out another 50 bucks? Or go back to build in the smallest possible way?

3 Likes

I recently looked at buying plots for a build, and yeah it’s around what you calculated in USD. I wouldn’t buy plots with cash at this price, and if I can’t get enough plots, I’d stop building, and if I can’t build, I won’t likely play. I won’t say “If this goes into the game, I quit”, but I worry that it going into the game might go down that path. I guess I could just do alts for plots, but that only goes so far.

4 Likes

Please stop attaching everything to hunting. There are people who hate hunting. Forging and portalling already depends way to much on hunting for my liking.

4 Likes

Lol yea I use persisting pies and a diamond hammer with dmg ? and magnet.

Ive bought plots a few times from the shop and it always gives me an empty feeling when I use those cash paid plots to make sure the floating bush of the top of a tree doesn’t come back over a spot.

2 Likes

Don’t worry, that plot can easily be grinded out with 274400 XP. If you use a teaching pie you only have to put down 34300 machined titanium blocks to qualify for this single plot. Totally F2P friendly, you can work for your plots. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Did you forget a “0” :rofl:

1 Like

That’s for 10 plots. :slight_smile:

1 Like

this takes a lot time to place, and a lot more time to collect all material for this amount on machined titanium ^^

and yes he do ^^ i need 2.744.000 xp ^^

2 Likes

Yeah James asked @Apt to do a small simple sanctum or something to that effect (can’t remember the exact words that were shared with me). Imagine if James had asked for a grand intricate one. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

lvl 2900 now is ~ 583m xp and is new level 333

if you say me your exact xp i can say you your new level, i have created a sheet for this with the new level system from the testing

Cubits award between Lvl 50 and Lvl 190 should also continue to increase.
Local Universes can be configured without requiring Plot purchases.

The purpose of Plots is:

1. To provide a permission system so that character access can be controlled.
  2. To differentiate between wild and claimed plots for regeneration (and meteorite spawning, etc).
  3. To have a fair balance between players in the shared MMO sandbox.

The #3 item is not an issue in Local Universes - so it could be relaxed.

10 Likes

I’d expect some XP and balance revamp at some point around this stuff… just not sure when and honestly I’m forgetting many of my past calls - getting old I guess. We need a whole balance pass there and a mob balance pass and especially a loot table redo. I keep telling James many times that it is crazy being on a T6 planet and finally killing a super hard cuttle as a level 80 character and I get - “tallow and a bone” or whatever. If they are going to scale XP they need a revamp to scale other things (which honestly I’m sure they know just don’t have time right now).

I think it needs to be a sliding scale on XP and not a direct linear one. I agree with James overall on why him and the team feel the game needs this. I opted to not do a call this month so I don’t have an understanding on where their mindset is so I’m a bit concerned too. The skill points are linked to the level so I agree you should scale into it at 2 a level. That makes sense since it allows you to fill your tree slowly with progression.

Personally I’m going to likely stay focused on the plot issue. I don’t agree that plots should be linear like this and that the game should get exponentially harder to Build. That makes no sense because there is no increase or growth progression in building. You don’t get “more rewards” for higher levels of building completion like you would when you face higher mobs. So I’m going to try to really focus on changing their mindset there if I can influence anything. But, I really need to understand @James and the Devs mindset since most of these complaints, etc they always know about but have decided to not do something for reasons - 9 out of 10 we just don’t know the reason.

Ultimately I’ll need to understand more about this:

On a side note, I’ve been trying to influence the ability to have “portals” to local universes like we have with creative ones instead of using a GUI list but not sure if it will be successful with them coding it. Any other people providing input and that they see value in this would help. I think we should use portals everywhere for this stuff to keep the emersion and only have GUI menu when needed.

2 Likes