Testing 249: Melee Weapons, Shields and Local Universes!

Hoping it just scaled wrong. Just like Grapples not working🤣. Hope the xp increase is broke as well and only supposed to be 274,400 per level instead. That darn extra 0 always ruins things.

2 Likes

Yes, they stay and you only need 359 points to fill them all.

1 Like

Even 200,000 is a lot if you like to build. I mean, it’s easy to cheese the system by farming gleam or crafting but you have to go out of your way to get the plots you need - there is no natural progression.

Increasing it, even by only a single XP, is going to increase the grind for no gain at all!

3 Likes

There was mention of this though, so hopefully that will allow for distributed server setups with a central discovery server…

2 Likes

That’s true, but…I’d rather it be 274,400 than 2,744,000 any day lol

Does this mean that it won’t be possible to start a new universe without an internet connection? If so, will it be possible to at least start an existing universe while offline?

2 Likes

The game client is going to communicate with the servers regardless for checking you own the game, and communication with the servers occurs on login into a custom universe also so that the server can also check that you own the game and what your gleamclub/backer status etc is, and so that the client can confirm the server is a properly versioned as well.

@james would you be able to confirm if after level 180 the required XP is supposed to be 2,744,000 or if that is a scaling bug on testing?

3 Likes

Okay. I would recommend a way for people to play completely offline if the server and client are on the same machine. There are people who will be offended that you are forcing them to be online for an offline game. “I own this, why can’t I play it”.

I don’t personally care a lot, but it’s my understanding that part of the point of the update is to expand the market, and I think this restriction will go against that goal.

4 Likes

That limit would also make sense on local, where there is supposed to be no cubit cost for plots.

1 Like

Especially for people playing on console that are required to pay the membership for online games. There should be an option for non online interaction for single player.

these weapons are pretty good, even unforged. They feel solid but I think they could use a few other animations added for the swings so it doesn’t feel kinda robotic.

1 Like

They have said that ps4 won’t be able to run the local server and you will need a pc to host the server for local ps4 single player.

1 Like

Um…what???

6 Likes

what what what what what?

EDIT: I can’t find this in knowledge or (give) :sob:

2 Likes

tenor

the oortstone tier of items that had assets made and a rough set of attributes added but ended up not being used, they still exist in the game assets/code but are not set to be givable or have any recipes they are “dev only” (but in local universe you can give yourself dev and admin priviledges far beyond testing so are “accessible” via that route)

5 Likes

The increased skill points cap is great, but I really hope that the XP scaling being so high is an oversight/bug, or at least there’s some other system planned for cubits.
2m+ exp for 2 skill points at high levels I’d argue is pretty fair (it’s an MMO afterall), but the issue is that cubits are tied to levelling up. If this is intentional and would stay as it is (300 cubits per level up), please reconsider.

Edit: Potential solution includes: having a separate xp bar for cubits, scaling up cubits grant per level, or even or scale down the exp per level.
I’m not asking for it to stay at 200k/level, I understand that with gleam farms and all it’s easy to get 200k, but 2m+ is wayy too grindy.

3 Likes

I’m sure devs have said that there are changes way to important that make imposible to use the original planets with the current version.

They would need to release the original version of the game too in order to make them work.

1 Like

I haven’t started testing yet and just read a handful of comments about the xp levels. I really like the idea of having to achieve skill points over a loooong period of time, in fact that was my favorite idea in past discussions of how to raise the skill cap without immediately making things too easy. But of course the cubit situation can’t end up that way…

Is it possible to make a new coffer types where we would just get cubits every level from one then have the other give a single skill point like every 10 levels? Or widen the gap between skill point coffers over time?

1 Like