The Forgemasters Mining Team - commentary on a post bomb mining universes

I have nothing to trade unless I mine or gather. So that is not an option. Gathering and mining are both the same mind numbing experience as I said in my post.

You are correct, the players seem to be dividing into two very distinct camps that either love the grind or hate the grind. It will be interesting to see if the developers find a way to address it or if the players leave the game.

1 Like

Lol there you go, cutting trees is even nore profitable than i said

Everybody starts out with nothing in this game. You’re either gathering, mining, hunting, or whatever. If none of these options are appealing then this is probably not the game one should be playing. Not directing that at you but in general.

But we’ll just agree to disagree

Out of curiosity, what are your stats/equipment for getting 250 bark in an hour. What worlds? I seem to get about ~30 an hour.

1 Like

Yes this ^

8/8 luck 8/8 power 5/5 bonus attribute using grapples, and bombs to blow up leaves on a t3 planet

You can get 200 in an hr with nothing special if you also get 8/8 dexterity

So you can do this at level 12

While cool (and thanks for the tip. What sort of bombs?), I think this gets to maybe another issue, in that the ways to progress may not be intuitive. When I think of farming tree mats, that immediately says to me “use an ax” as someone who has ever played a video game before, not “use a grappling hook and explosives.”

You dont need to use a grappling hook and explosives, they just make it easier to be more efficient, not a problem at all. You could spec all the way to axeman and use a 3x3 axe and just break everything and get way more resources per hour just standing on the ground

1 Like

A few points in control to increase the range of your axe will also help a lot but some worlds have easier trees to collect from then others.

1 Like

A 3x3 ax is an end-game item. Saying “You can use end game items to get to the end game” doesn’t really help.

Just using Iron tools, standing on the ground, I get my ~30 bark per hour. That is the way that new players are going to try to farm. I don’t care if there are ways to improve on that, and frankly I think the bomb thing is interesting, but the obvious answer shouldn’t be THAT “wrong”.

Do you like speed runs of games at all? I am a huge fan of seeing all the glitches in games and the ways the players can get around developer intentions. But if those sorts of glitches and exploits were intended gameplay, most of those games would just not be fun (imagine if Bomb Hovering was a required mechanic on OoT, for example. What new player would ever figure that out?).

30 bark an hour does seem slow, I got a couple hundred in an hour or two, Just by running around and hitting the easily accessible blocks, max luck, 5/5 attribute, gathering epic, and enough damage/mastery ticks in axe so I could one shot them, using iron axes.

There are fat trees on Lamblis that only grow like maybe 3-4 blocks tall and no leaves.

I can try moving my stats around. I have most of that, plus the damage epic and 8/8 power, and I think I was 2-shoting trees on a T3. It didn’t seem close enough that getting max-axe mastery would go to 1-shotting, but I can test it.

I quite often have to shift my skills around to get the most of something if i’m farming X.

I think with max power, damage epic and axe epic (i switched from the hammer epic) and 2-3 points in axe mastery I was able to 1 shot with iron axes on T3.

If you read above I did. I’ll repeat for ya. There is no problem. I’m in the grind I’m level 35ish I buy my titanium tools I’ve earned 2 work bench coils I don’t have a surplus of anything except maybe fib leaves right now. So example 1 my experience. Don’t believe me okay

Example 2 jiivita and his stream lvl 12 character and he just bought titanium furnaces. So complain that the game is unfair your stuck with iron tools and it’s too expensive to get titanium. I have give you those.

So I ask you to retract your previous statement that I didn’t explain why the game is fine as a did. Also using “…” states that you are quoting me verbatim to which I didn’t say LUL lazy want everything handed…

Please if you eat your hat post the video in the forums that would be entertaining.

1 Like

I mine hundreds upon hundreds of rubies each trip and I use single block hammers. I’m serious when I say it’s the easiest gem for me to get. Because of how sparse it is I think, and slightly dangerous for Aoe hammer users, it’s a bit easier to find untouched areas.
Alcyon. Go far and wide from portal (very far) Bring a few gold grapples. Mark several hotspots along the way.
Dig into the middle of one (safer to keep grapple attached incase theres a giant lava drop) Definitely attach grapple once you get to 16, then keep going down. If it looks untouched, back up to 16 and make a tunnel through middle of hotspot. Now branch left and right every 3rd block untill you reach the end of sides of hot spot. After that, every 3rd block on the floors of tunnels dig down to mantle (or lava) with grapple attached. If you walk into a lava cave, use grapple to check all the walls near the lava, found loads too sticking out right above the lava.
(port to the other marked hotspots if one you dug into is bad)
Chiselling is faster i guess but I hoard rock.
Just turn brain off and keep doing it. I have 75 adv coils and loads of roughs and compacts, so it works for me.
I think it’s 3 shot rocks with titanium, greater strgth brew puts it down to 2. With max mining stats it’s not bad at all.
/Edit Blank the threads with people handing out Aoe tools in mass mining ops and the 600+hr brags. It’ll make your work feel worthless, just do you :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Right there.

Also, I’m glad you have 2 examples of people that are having fun with this system, but based on the number of complaints here, I don’t think most are. I’m not complaining about grinding, per se, I cut my teeth on MMOs playing Ragnarok Online with official progression, I know what grindy is, I just want the grind to be fun and seem meaningful. Spending days/weeks just farming mats to sell to get 1-2 of a thing you need like 40 of feels terrible. Iron tools on T5 feels terrible. Having to buy all your equipment which breaks after 30 minutes feels terrible. I’ve said this before in other threads, but I will grind more if the grind is doing something. Give silver/gold a real place in the game, up their drop rate slightly on T4 worlds, and boom, now players on iron have a way to progress that feels like something is actually happening.

Edit: And if a dev does come in here and say “Yep, Iron → Titanium is the correct progression, silver and gold are supposed to be side-grades to iron” I’ll be glad to post that video for you. :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you read the above and other posts there are plenty of people that don’t feel there is an issue with the grind I just don’t feel like spending. An hour quoting 20 select people when it’s not even going to be read and the intended target will shrug it off.

It’s a grind there should be a grind I don’t want it to be easy where in 35 hours of play I’m maxed that would be boring. I’ll agree that it would be nice for silver and gold to play a larger role but it’s not like a 150c iron tool to a 1500 titanium tool is this massive leap.

1 Like

I think patch is buffing silv/gold

I mean, I’m like 120ish hours in at this point and still stuck, just as an example. I’m not denying there should be a grind, and I’m not even denying that some people here (that are already past the grind, mostly), don’t think there is a problem.

1500c is like 10% of the money I have available. There are a lot of systems all tied together here, and it’s hard to point out where exactly the failure is. Also, I have a 9-5 job where I do work for someone else, is it so much to ask that I come home to a game where I’m not also grinding for hours to sell all my progress to someone else so I can advance? It’s an MMO, progression should be pretty obvious.