The great Oort recession of 2019

I understand the issue. but “Oort recession of 2019” Isnt really an oort issue. Its a bordem/laziness issue. The game does need new ways to get oort. been saying that a year now. But if everyone just got out 3-4 times a week the market would stay fairly even.

1 Like

I agree with is comment - need to sort out the core problem which will then fix lots of stuff. Not just plug each problem with “easy” tape.

2 Likes

People are lazy and want it right in to their portal.

I put a shop stand with shards and another with rough at a good price and it takes days before some one buys it.

2 Likes

Yes I agree. I posted very early on in this thread that there isn’t an oort shortage.

It’s a simple problem of people not wanting to hunt.

3 Likes

Are you in a guild? If so, host a hunt with your guild mates and ask if they’ll sell any extra to you. Some might just give you some. Or come up with a different way to hunt. Maybe a crazy bomb hunt. I’ve always thought it would be fun to organize a hold the fort meteor hunt. Have a couple builders build a small fort around the meteor and everyone get inside it and… holds the fort. Don’t know if it would work. But it’s worth a shot if your bored with hunting.

1 Like

You can get near that by doing the daily hunts (although daily is a tricky word), but the Fireborn NOMAD hunt lodge has been trying to fill the daily hunt void.
I know it helps with my supply the more I attend the hunts. :blush:

1 Like

Lol I’ve tried to be clear. I have no problem paying or hunting. I’m still paying 500 per amalgam.

I’m more discussing the core problem here of why people don’t hunt or want to hunt which creates an illusion of a shortage.

Apologies if I’ve been unclear

I’ve got plenty of shards for sale if you guys need. (disclaimer: not flipping donated oort)

1 Like

Yeah in the past I used to hunt almost daily, helped a ton, but then it felt fun and new! It lost it’s appeal over time and do hope the devs listen to our comments about changing hunting up a bit so it will be fun again.

Also, there are less EU hunt leaders so even if I wanted to I couldn’t do a hunt a day, shame really…

You don’t need the rest of the community to get the Oort you need. You can achieve it on your own with a hunter build and shotgun slingbow pretty easily on T4 worlds.

Nobody should be surprised if we have to mine Oort in the future if the PTS has oort seams in the knowledge tab and has been there for a very long time.

I’d much rather revamp the meteor system we have right now by making them dynamic. Meaning, some meteors will drop creatures who can be harvested for Oort while others are for coin and others for ore, etc. Basically taking a page out of Diablo 3’s book with Loot Goblins that can give gold, blood shards, gems, legendaries, and crafting materials. Basically if we had that for Meteors it would give people a lot more incentive to want to do them. Top it off with having Oort as something you can mine or even something you loot from creatures that rarely spawn in the open world and you have a formula that helps promote meteor hunts, oort gathering, and exploration.

That would most likely make the game a lot more fun and a lot more easier too. You can have both your cake and eat it too.

1 Like

If we get another way to get oort because people don’t like hunting, I hope we get farm crops for beans and orbs for those of us who don’t like gathering :wink:

3 Likes

We should get that anyways cause it would make farming more fun. Including ways to AOE plant crops.

3 Likes

But people do want to hunt. The Sasquatch hunt always has people and it’s at a good time. There aren’t as many people leading late night hunts anymore. There use to be hunts hosted at midnight-1am EST. And jacey did the hunt everyday at noon which I don’t think happens anymore.
I think people don’t want to LEAD hunts.
Also I think part of the community like the platforms and the other part hates them. Me personally if I see on the discord it’s a speed hunt. I’m out!
That’s my personal preference. But you will get more oort/meteors running on the ground. You may not get all level 6 meteors but you’ll get more in general.
Which means more oort.

That’s why squach hunts are so good. They are hybrid hunts.

2 Likes

I may be crazy, but it seems to me like more people are understanding the game and how to use their own Oort rather than selling it. It also may be that the shop scanner is letting people realize the true value of their oortstone. Most of the buy baskets for oortstone I see in game are offering 100c or less (down to 0c for donations, frequently) and people are holding their oortstone for a price of 200c+. People can find places to get the pay they desire and aren’t going to just throw away their hunting effort when they’re discovering they have the most lucrative job in the game.

4 Likes

I can see how some people agree with this being the solution. I don’t feel merging things like you mention will solve the problems that have been identified. The way I approach design and problem solving is to try to separate different issues. This allows things to be tackled in unique ways if needed and not cause additional dependencies, etc.

The issues as I see it are these:

1. People find meteor hunting boring and want other means to achieve Oort beyond “a meteor”
  2. An economy that is so liked to one resource is not designed well. Supply/demand of that one resource shouldn’t crash the economy or ruin the game.
  3. Most game systems when designed well should be able to scale independently of the amount of players that use them. Adding more players to inefficient game systems or areas that have problems will actually increase issues instead of lower them. An influx of players won’t solve the Oort gathering or economy issue. It will compound it because it already is happening for a small player base. New players only increase supply and demand under the current game model.
1 Like

I’m honestly really hoping that the mineable oort seen on the test servers is going to be a part of the titan events. I think that would be a solution that pleases a lot of folks.

1 Like

Well I’ll start by saying that any hunt that I have attended over the last 3-4 months has been a Squatch hunt. I’ve posted a few times to that effect. Like you I’m not a fan of speed hunts. I enjoy the ground hunts and the silliness that comes with it.

But what I think you’re more hitting on here is a community doing something together. What else can the community go out and do in this game and just be silly and have fun with, without inventing a new element itself? @Orrian has come up with a few neat events in the past but those player events are few and far between, likely because we have such a small population and in game communication is nigh unbearable.

IMO the only real answer is meteor hunting. Building takes far too much coordination and precision and gathering isn’t really beneficial in a group setting. That basically leaves hunting. So communities that want something fun to do have that, where a side product is gaining oort. Others may see that differently and I’d be interested in seeing other views I’ve seen some collaborated builds but even when I see those the people are generally working by themselves in specific areas/build zones/ etc. No where near as engaging as community hunts.

So is the real fun thing there hunting or the group getting together because it’s one of the few aspects the game allows for a setting like that to take place?

I definitely hear what you are saying. I’ve been there, I’ve done those things with those same people. I’m just pulling out and looking at a bigger picture trying to see where others aren’t finding the same enjoyment. Don’t take my comments as personal assessments but rather what I see others expressing and the reasons why they don’t do it or have quit playing.

2 Likes

I’m saying improve hunting, which will in turn increase the supply of Oort. You say about the economy being so liked to one resource, such as Oort, is bad - what i say is that we need more resources which have the demand of Oort, not make Oort like most other resources. Basically pull everything forward, don’t push Oort back. I feel rewarded when i take the time to gather Oort because I know i’ve saved/about to make a decent amount of coin. So yeh I agree things need fixing, like hunting, but not the Oort itself.

If people like hunting, but find it boring in its current state, then the issue is 100% the enjoyability of hunting which has in turn effected the Oort supply. So fix hunting, fix the Oort ‘issue’

3 Likes

I’m not opposed to improving hunting. But that solves nothing for those that don’t like to hunt or agree that Oort should only be delivered to the game via a “meteor.” No level of “fixing” will make a person that doesn’t like to hunt decide to hunt.

There is no reason Oort cannot come from a meteor and another solution in my view. If you only want Oort to come via a meteor then it sounds like we are on different sides.