The new lighting system: my dark view

not commenting on other things, but to clarify the new ‘slider’ doesnt effect day time at all. The slider controls the minimum amount of scene luminance the auto-exposure balance will adjust for at the dark end of the scale, it’s not a brightness slider and when it’s a bright day the scene luminance is far far higher and the slider literally has no effect there.

1 Like

Thank you for coming back and clarifying the actual function of it for us so quick. I can only guess that when I tried it I got unlucky as I came up into the light after turning it to +4 and was blinded by the sheer amount of light. I will give that side of things another try and see how I get on but the other points I made I stand by. Even with the current tweaks the insides of the bases are still vastly darker than before so I eagerly await your fix for this

1 Like

You most likely used a gleam colour which now has a lower luminosity. I had to change most of my lighting to get decent range out of my gleam.

I used white gleam(little over 200 gleam) with white wicker floor and oxide grey walls in my hub(2plotsx3plots) and was too dark still. Now the hubs been rebuilt outside with cool grey marble floor white brick and white gleam lanterns. It’s good now. But honestly I shouldn’t have had to change it before.

Also thanks to @Ratchel for the new hub.

1 Like

Any update on the lighting situation and if or when we might reasonably expect to see it corrected?

1 Like

Alright I have not even gotten half way through and so far, a lot of the same deal between people. I for one, do not entirely agree. Yes, it is a little (maybe medium) darker than I would like, but I DO love how my darker colors actually look as they should. Black refined/decorative/mosaic/marble/etc. often did not look black at all, unless in an enclosed space or if it is dark. Refined stone looked more purple than anything.

As for where I agree… So far, my builds that are not enclosed but “overshadowing” certainly do not look the same. I have a black “body” in the air, and you cannot see any of the chiseled detail, even in daytime. The part beneath it looks more dull due to not being directly in the natural sunlight. I stopped trying for now.

I forgot to mention… Turning the Dark Balance to +4 really did help. Can that be configured to a higher degree?

Not sure if this is totally on topic…maybe its just me but, for some reason I think night time comes way more often and lasts way longer than before. It could be that as it never got really dark it just seemed to be longer days.

Anyone else have a thought on this?

I hope the devs see this and keep making adjustements in the next update, because there’s still work to be done.

With all the gleam around the place, you can barely tell what blocks are on the right side of this storage, wall, and for comparison, I put one of those blocks out.
GleamLights-Storage-Too-Dark_Zoom
On the left, a zoomed-out block from the storage. On the right, well, I think you got it.

Wow I thought the right side of the storage was empty!

this has been bothering me a lot recently. overall I like the changes but there’s definitely a problem with lighting storage/shopstand displays.

placed lanterns are actually making it slightly worse.

I have found that only held light sources or the light epic have made things light well enough to see dark items properly. I made a room with gleam pretty much everywhere and it still looked dark. As soon as I held a torch it lit it up better.

1 Like

It is simply too dark at night.

I’ve got the light epic skill, plus a loot magnet with max light forged on it, and this is what I see at night. I waited until daytime to take the same picture also. It’s too difficult to see to play the game when it’s “night” and I’ve found myself inside with lighting more and more often. I enjoy surface gathering, but not being able to see where I’m going/gathering is becoming a huge frustration and I’m starting to limit my exploration of planets/resources due to this.

I definitely have issues with light, and maybe everyone can see the first screenshot just fine, but it’s almost completely black on the left side.

1 Like

whats that thing in top left corner ?
you could also look at it as it was to clear before and people got used to it
one thing they need to do to help is have shorter nights longer daytime

1 Like

One of my storage spots, not ENTIRELY surrounded by lanterns, but touching several.

With a glow stick:

1 Like

Yeah I have the same thing. Trying to decide if it would be easiest to gather the valuables and just let my build regen versus replacing hundreds of storage cubes.

It’s the debug menu option for beacons/settlements. I like to run around trying to steal all of @Gorillastomp’s city! :lion:
I generally avoid plotted areas when surface gathering, so it’s handy for me.

2 Likes

how do you toggle it

Using the debug menu after you hit F1, top Left of the screen, choose beacon/settlement visualization and then resize the window. Then hit F1 again to exit the menu after dragging the windows where you want them on the screen. It’s PC only at this point, but I think James said PS4 were going to get something like it soon.

1 Like

I know the other ones I posted were block boxes and only touching a couple of lanterns.

Did you spot them?

I suppose I could squeeze a few more lanterns in there but, yeah…

Speaking of replacing cabinets:

White cabinets with adjacent white gleam now.

in the daylight you can tell what most of the blocks are. Or in a player specific light such as a glowing loot stick. The cabinets just seem to basically ignore block light sources.

My darkness level or whatever it’s called is maxed out in all these pics.

There doesn’t seem to have been any change or further address to this in the latest patch. The fact that these blocks reflect daylight even through full layers of shielding but won’t respond to white gleam TOUCHING them is pretty bad.

I do hope we see further work on this.

1 Like