The plan.... still there?

Well if they only made different mobs for different kind of planet. you have metal, lush and coal and ect for planets. But the ecosystem is in them all the same. For a explorer game i find the mob diversity lacking…

2 Likes

Lush, coal, metal, burn, blast, toxic, corrosive, chill, shock, blink, umbis, rift worlds… five creatures each… five tires each

Just 12x5x5… 300 creatures to model, mesh, animate… I guess you could just copy past the AI to save some work… at that point a procedural system might actually be better and give each planet unique animals instead of just the types…

1 Like

That’s an enormous amount of work, procedural or not. And probably why there aren’t more types of creatures.

7 Likes

Actually the idea of randomly generating wildlife as a new planet is introduced is a good idea. No Man’s Sky does it… and i hear James and Sean are friends! Would be a nice addition… though how much work it would be I have no clue… Would be Cool though!!

2 Likes

Maybe the Wildstock mob as we know it now is actually a placeholder for a whole host of different types of wildstock mobs that would be added?
idk about the rest of them. lol

Ive suggested it before, but a really simple option like trello could work wonders. Below is a great example of a company using it as a very fluid dev roadmap. Features and enhancements are mostly community driven (devs manage it and dont add every idea), but it shows ideas, sponsered/supported, whats next, whats currently being worked on etc. And gives a space for people to support/discuss/provide updates on each.

Sometimes things drop from ‘currently being worked on’ back to ‘up next’, or even taken off the table completely if other ideas take priority or need to happen first to make it even better. It happens, nothing is perfect, but that transparency goes a very very long way.

I dislike the “community couldnt handle it” argument. That really doesnt show a lot of love. And i believe if your open and honest generally people are understanding. Silence breeds frustration and distrust. And the vocal few who will surely complain along the way, are not the real fans of the game they should be catering to.

4 Likes

Oh nice, it embedded the link, theres a nice new feature. :slight_smile:

1 Like

They’ve attempted trello before. It’s nice for organizing but I’d personally rather them keep things on these forums where possible to keep communication more centralized.

2 Likes

How did that not work? It looks exactly like the kinda visibilty everyone is talking about? Seems it just stopped being updated.

And as i just learnt, trello embeds on this forum, so just make sticky post.

1 Like

P.s. if that was still being updated i could use wonderstruck as my example of good stakeholder engagement rather than that other company.

Dont know what happened to Luke who was updating it, but you need another one like that on the team.

2 Likes

This doesn’t look official since any reference to “color” isn’t misspelled like it is in game.

2 Likes

My ears are burning just imagining the conversations they have about their respective fanbases… :joy:

"A fan just edited my head onto a chicken… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Yeah, well that fan edited MY head onto a spider!! :rage:"

7 Likes

I mean it was originally posted by @luke-turbulenz here.

I think that’s about as official as you can get?

2 Likes

I believe Leah is in Luke’s position now. And I just noticed the Star Wars humor in that :rofl:

7 Likes

Its only merica that spells it as color. In english its spelt colour. Bugs me its spelt wrong in coding!

3 Likes

True, but interacting with the same 5 creatures for a couple years and then seeing this video from SIX YEARS AGO talking about dozens of creatures, protectors, and so on sure makes someone wonder “what if?” and or “what happened?”

Is it really an “either/or?” I love your videos btw!

3 Likes

while we at it @Jeffrotheswell do you got that ancient video where you had like slides with jumping things and so on

3 Likes

I love the NMS creatures they are amazing!!!

4 Likes

Factorio does a Friday facts which has kept the community over there happy for years. It’s literally as said above a place they write about things they are working on or testing, also some off topic so you get to know abit about the team. They have discussed why certain things didn’t make the cut etc in a very honest way ie too complex, didn’t work out but they post it anyway. Makes you feel part of the process

8 Likes

You can have Zoo now :smiley:

6 Likes