Thoughts on creative world portals with inevitable DKPoll getting added lol

I agree in terms of economy balance and overall/average fairness to all.

But what about the minority who have no interest in survival. Let’s say two friends who only finally bought boundless now that it has creative. Let’s make them two well known Minecraft YouTubers for this scenario, so people want to enable them. One wants to live on a t6 because they like emeralds and want aggro, and one wants to live on a t1 lush because they hate aggro.

If they don’t ever go to survival, they wouldn’t have tools to hunt or stuff to sell to buy oort. I think everyone agrees creative shouldn’t get footfall. So, how can those two friends visit each other, without being forced to hunt? I don’t think they should be forced to. They wouldn’t even have coin to warp (assuming you obviously can’t spawn rift and mint it for infinite coin)

One solution could be to put all creative planets in the same “universe tier” and have them all be 1 blink apart, and give everybody a weekly login bonus of enough oort to run a single 1x2. Still, there’s the issue of region portals. Maybe it’s finally time to make all portals cost 1 blink per hour. I don’t see any other good way to balance it, if creative to creative portals are always free. As you said, warps is easily exploitable and isn’t a good solution.

Btw, how will skill pages work on creative? I assume you get unlimited skill resets but can’t gain XP on creative?

I believe James said you get your full skill allowance (as though level 50) and get infinite cleanse points.

I’m not sure designing this around people who want two worlds and never want to set foot on survival worlds is going to lead to fair design tbh.

If 1 world isn’t big enough for them and they want to freely visit other creative worlds I’d say they have to play the actual game. If they just want 1 creative world to share (a la minecraft) then that’s fine. The one who likes emeralds can have as many as their little heart desires for free.

Right but both people want their own worlds. One is Japan themed and one is futuristic themed. They have separate YouTube channels. How can they visit each other?

Also, those people should be able to somehow access public worlds without being forced to hunt.

Two home beacons could be one workaround. They could meet up on a public world and use free warps to visit each other. (Yes, they’d have to have craft a totem and make a beacon to have a home point - same for crafting warp conduits). Still, I think these two hypothetical youtubers should somehow be able to visit each other’s worlds without paying coin or oort.

Japan world portal > survival world > other survival world (repeat as needed) > Future world portal.

In my mind this is the cost of having creative integrated with the main universe.

Otherwise if people should be able to freely visit any creative world they want I’d say there needs to be a creative universe…

What happens when their third minecraft youtube friends joins? 3 homes? What about their fourth friend? :grinning:

I know you’re using it in jest, but seriously, we want those youtubers. It would be lit if their third and fourth youtuber friends got BL and played regularly.

2 Likes

Completely agreed. I’d love to see more players and more content. I’m just saying that if we use your example we can just continuously increase their hypothetical numbers and run into more and more problems. We need a solution that solves things for infinite hypothetical ex-minecraft youtubers.

The only things I can think of that are 100% fair and do not have any impact on the current game would be to have them use portal costs and blinksecs as they are now or not integrate the creative worlds with the main universe. Just have two separate universes and have a small prompt when first logging into the game (or when launching the game) about which universe you want to access.

But I know the latter isn’t the design James is going for. So the former is all I’ve got :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I guess I agree. When there’s 40 of them on creative, now it’s a hub.

I don’t know, maybe creative just has to be a separate universe. Either that or creatives are going to have to pay oort like everyone else, or it breaks the economy. Oort UBI isn’t a terrible idea.

I only played on MC servers where there were no grief protections. I didn’t use xray cheats or anything but I took pride in raiding people’s stuff. I’m lazy AF so I constantly think about how to exploit things and make things easier for myself. Free portals between creative worlds is something I would very quickly exploit. Which is why I want to avoid that.

However, Boundless has been pretty exploity in the past (old bomb mining, various chrysominter issues, etc.) so if free creative portals is the direction we end up going in, so be it. All the more reason I’ll be sticking to my own sovereign worlds and avoiding the main universe as much as possible.

You don’t think Oort UBI would have any impact on the economy? :grin: I’d go to those sketchy websites and immediately buy like 100 accounts. So long as the Oort accumulates, just log in to each side account like once a month :money_mouth_face:

I think that @SephirothWS is the best way. If some one wants to live in creative they dont really need a free connection to the main universe.
If we want to visit the creative planets we could just warp and Im sure some people even would be ok to patron portals to creative worlds they like.

Is that or force everysingle creative planet to be linked to the same main universe planet.

1 Like

Agreed, I love @SephirothWS’s idea. It’s basically what I’m saying here. I just didn’t read anything in this thread before I started typing to DK b/c DK and I were on another thread and I was PMed and asked to leave that thread alone. But a similar idea to SephirothWS’s was shared there as well. Fuel portals only from survival sides is fine :+1:

1 Like

Yeah but we’re just abandoning the creatives to live alone or be forced to hunt? Or hope to get a patron?

“if” you could portal/warp between creative worlds for free (and “something” done to make it not abusable in conjunction with survival), then they would need to be steam/psn friends so that “Add Platform/Steam Friends” button in game can make them friends with eachother: warp to friend, add world to your list; you can now warp to your friends creative world from your own creative world for free, or set up a portal between them for free.

2 Likes

Well this at least would prevent me from abusing free creative world portals.

I’m too much of a devil’s advocate to befriend anyone here :rofl:

1 Like

In this “if” scenario can you warp from any location on any creative to any other location on any creative? Then people could sell location tokens at a “hub” that’s just a warp zone and shop stands to every creative.

I still don’t see how you could allow a creative t5t6 network that doesn’t put all other t5t6 networks out of business. I want all creatives to have free portals but I don’t see how to integrate it into the survival universe.

1 Like

Or as I said force everysingle creative planet to be linked to the same main universe planet.

Like maybe Circa all creative planets can only open portals to circa. then there is no creative hubs because they wont be able to link to any other planet.

I think we could even have 2 or 3 planets one for each region and thats it.

Yes. Luca’s if scenario allows for free portals/warps but has “something” being done to make it not abusable so as to prevent T5/T6 hubs being formed on creatives. But the answer to your main questions is yes.

He’s just saying they could be PSN/Steam friends and then use the free warp tech to not have to set foot on survival worlds.

TNT would make bank off of all the footfall from people going to and from creative worlds :grin:

2 Likes

Yeah this would obviously be unfair in advantage of whatever planet gets to be “that” planet. I volunteer Tana! Haha

Same with the idea of having patrons lol. Any good looking creative planet may generate a good ammount of footfall and if you put a store next to it even better :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Well at the end I think that giving footfall to hubs is pretty damn good, they are a great help to the comunity. So If I had to decide between broken free hubs on creative or letting some one have more footfall I would pick the footfall