Thoughts on creative world portals with inevitable DKPoll getting added lol

I mean I like tnt I guess I don’t want them to not have things

But it would turn one network into the “it” network and force all other hubs to move there to compete.

The planets could be picked randomly I guess, and by forcing only certain planets to be the bridges then I dont see a problem with unlimited portals from one mode to the other so there could be portals to creative planets on all hubs.

My “something” is that portals/warps on creative worlds are still limited by blinksec (so that T5/T6 planets are still inconveniently several jumps moving through the creative “network”) and any public exit of any kind (warp, portal) from creative to survival is expensive in oort or survival coin. Ofc you can always home beacon for free. Basically any creative-survival 2-way portal should have maximum oort/hr cost and any warp from creative to survival should have maximum coin cost.

• prevents local hubs from being dominated by an orbiting creative
  • prevents T5/T6 problem
  • prevents free/cheaper interplanetary portal network

Honestly it might just be best for everyone to have a “separate” character altogether for creative

You log out to sanctum then go through the creative warp in the sanctum, which takes you to wherever you were last on creative. You could also warp to anywhere on any creative you want, but when you return to the survival universe your character would be back where they started. I guess you could also warp directly from any survival to any creative at any coordinates - but once again, when you warp back to survival, your only free options are “where you came from” and your home beacon.

PMs could still work.

That way all warps and portals on creative would be free and it wouldn’t mess with the economy or the main game.

That would need the addition of a public creative world?

Nah you could warp to any creative directly from anywhere. But when you return to survival, you get deposited back where you started (or home beacon)

But any new player that crosses to the creative sanctum would need a place to Spawn…

I’d considered something like this too but it seems real hard to program every creative-> survival portal to act like the sanctum warp whenever you’re on a creative world.

It’d work. Just feels tricky.

If their world is unavailable, they have to pick a spot from a list of worlds’ capital cities, or return home

Like if they logged off on an expiring exo

This gives me an interesting idea. Not sure if it’d be a good one, but it put the idea into my head. What if portals worked like you said… wait nvm. I had this weird idea with oort lasting twice as long and portals had to be fueled from both ends in order to be two way, but you could make one-way portals that cost half as much and they’re made by only powering it from one end. I tried to think more about actual implementation and the idea kinda started to fall apart a bit.

1 Like

Not true. I (and others) have proposed the solution that the game tracks the portal you enter from so you can only exit through that portal, or alternatively any portal from a creative world will pop you back out where you entered basically. So you can’t go from survival 1 to creative 1 to creative 2 to survival 2. You have to go from survival 1 to creative 1 to creative 2, and then either back to creative 1 and back out where you came, or leaving through sanctum, or leaving from creative 2 brings you back to survival 1 where you entered. Not sure how feasible that is on the programming end but if they could make it so you can only enter/exit from one spot it stops you from making those multi planet hubs

1 Like

Everyone has emeralds on creative, you literally can’t mine for them.

Also aggro when you’re trying to do things and invulnerable anyways is INSTANTLY old. Plus there’s not drops.

To be entirely honest I’m not sure why creative worlds would have tiers at all. Just atmosphere effects I would think.

Seems perfectly reasonable tbh.

I keep hearing about people that “only want to play creative” and “aren’t interested in survival” but they somehow need access to survival worlds for some reason?

Help me out with this.

Perfect!

If they are “creatives” what are they hunting for?

Pretty much all actual networks have hubs on every planet as it is, right?

IMO this is a great solution, it doesn’t honestly matter if it’s a separate character, or not. The mechanics can work the same, and the transition to creative with the same character having a separate creative inventory and skill set is smooth. It probably is lighter on the development side and it has the HUGE advantage of already being done.

If the haven’t built anything yet the worlds list could offer them capitols or default locations on any creative world they have permissions on.

This might get cumbersome if there are hundreds of public creative worlds, but it’s a default list not something that needs to be saved per-character.

I felt like Luca gave a pretty good explanation on why this isn’t artistically desirable or technically easy to implement with the current game engine. However:

The sanctum is perfect for this.

3 Likes

While I think it would be cool to be able to teleport between creative worlds, I would not trade my free portal to survival. I’d be happy with a one portal limit, because it makes sense conceptually as a creative player’s complementary doorway to survival.

It allows them to be a part of the universe without needing to grind in order to play their version of the game, but the system can’t be abused as long as the creative world only connects to its orbited planet as was originally planned, and if only one portal can be opened.

Yes, that’s a limit on what we can freely do- but it’s a sensible limit that would benefit survival hub owners through footfall. I don’t know what planet my creative world will orbit, but the only scenario in which I don’t provide a new source of footfall to a hub is if I’m orbiting Sorissi and can portal right home. Otherwise I’m opening a portal to a hub and will be traveling that path likely every day or close to it.

Currently, I have a couple months’ worth of projects in the pipeline in Kindred Bay on Sorissi, and will have a portion of the HSE survival world to develop for years to come. I will always be active in survival. Especially since my post-modern Romanesque architectural style I’m hoping to become known for will have no place in my uniformly Medieval themed creative world.

Surely one free portal with my paid creative world isn’t too much to ask for, and so long as the sole benefit is access to that world and back it really wouldn’t be unfair to anyone without one.

You got this one backwards.

Also, just because you can’t envision someone playing creative and wanting to access survival doesn’t mean it can’t happen.

Same for your opinion on aggro. Just because you don’t like it doesn’t mean other people don’t like it.

There’s a difference between a hub and a portal though. And lots of networks work differently - including me and tnt and guardian among others

If you don’t think it’s a big ask, why do you want to deny it to the masses and make it so only people who pay real money for a world get a free portal and nobody else? You can access your creative world with warps the same as anybody else who doesn’t want to pay the Oort to set up a personal portal between their home planet and other planets.

I agree we want people going to sovereigns, but IMO all planets should play by the same rules

1 Like

I’m looking at this from the survival perspective… if someone creates a fantastic looking build on a creative planet, and I am playing on survival, I want to be able to go and see it in the easiest way possible that doesn’t personally cost me coin to do so.

Creative isn’t just about being able to create builds without some of the restrictions imposed on survival… it’s also about being able to show those builds to the community, just the same as builders want to do in the survival universe.

I’m actually starting to think that this might be the best solution. Maybe 2 semi-separate universes is the way to go.

Only allow portals to be set up in their respective universes, not cross-universe.

From the survival side, you could still have it so that Creative worlds are visible in the sky (and clearly marked as creative), so players could still select and warp to them from the respective orbited planets. Whilst from within the creative universe you can only see other Creative worlds in the sky. This would allow creative worlds to be linked together with portals as a separate universe.

Additionally, the list of available warps from the Creative universe would need to be restricted to be only your last position on the survival worlds, so that no matter what creative world you leave from, your warp takes you back to your last point on a Survival world (Either that or you can use your “warp home for free”).

Warps into the creative universe could also be made free at this point.

1 Like

I really, really wanted it to be free portals to public worlds. But from the discussions I’ve realized that it breaks SO many things, lol

I’ll admit I’m pretty proud of myself for coming into the discussions with one opinion and getting convinced by others’ arguments and changing my mind pretty drastically. It CAN happen!

Kind of excited about this idea I just had:

4 Likes