Thoughts on Testing 163

Felt the need to have a more generic thread for general thoughts on the latest Testing build, didn’t feel it appropriate to just dump all my random ideas on KaKistoZ’s official looking, filtered thread :slight_smile: please feel free to add or comment on anything/post your own ideas about the build. Please refer bugs and actual build issues to This official thread

For starters I continue to feel dumb, and that I’ve wasted a good deal of time whenver I forget to activate objectives when I first log on or complete previous ones. A bold (but perhaps dismissable) notification that I have forgotten basic gameplay strategies should help me regain my self-confidence

4 Likes

Some notes so far

• New jumping mechanic is very intuitive and incredibly useful, have already found that I can use it for both clearing previously unclearable canyons and timing my short-hops so that my axe swing hits the tree 1 block out of my reach every time

• Speaking of hand swings, the block placement animation has to finish before you can place another one, I get that, but it just feels kind of… disjointed? in that the block is placed at the beginnning of the animation and allows the full extension of your arm to finish, seemingly unnecesarily

• Can we talk about how twisted trunks always induce trypophobia af in me. I literally avoid these trees intentionally, not related to this patch but still

• 3rd person needs an eating animation, sure it was on the list tho

• Attributes don’t scale at all. This may be worth revisiting. The idea of putting the skillpoints from level 50 into 10 points of health all the way down the tree doesn’t seem that appealing/gratifying. Maybe make the higher tiers of attribute skills increase in scale both in cost and reward, e.g Tier 5 health = 50 skillpoints for 200 health

1 Like
  • I absolutely love one hitting blocks but i don’t get why i one hit with iron axe but gem axe takes 3 hits to destroy same block? (within similar amount of time)

• Jump and double jump < omg, it’s awesome

• discover X regions per day, hmm. Too much effort in my opinion.

• chisel mastery? :joy:

• I’d love to see all recipes unlocked in a preview stage inside machines where you can check if for example. refined gem blocks belongs to advanced decorative blocks or advanced props etc.

• and hp regen < that is even more awesome !

5 Likes

Made me wonder as well.
Can’t see much to improve in here as it takes 1 hit from start. Tool durability seem to be tied to different skill, so what exactly is mastery in chisel improving?

i like that idea, lets you know what skill you need to take in order to make it. would be useful, a quality of life improvement more than a game changing one though

We will be doing this soon. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Is there a temporary list of what the different skill unlock?

At the moment i am total confused when try to get things working…

I have been playing away using unlearn skill points to try things out.

Item Crafting skill set:

1. Block recipes branch is for compactor.
  2. Decorative branch will start with unlocking glass.
  3. Prop and Item branches I managed to unlock together and I’m not sure what recipes I acquired belong to which category. Extractor recipes and items like nails and storage blocks/shelves were unlocked through these two.

Equipment Crafting skill set is pretty much straight forward - the only thing that surprised me was the chisel being unlocked through tech branch together with the grapple.

In general dont spend points on Equipment Crafting too soon. These skills are costly and although you’ll be able to build machines, you won’t have extractor and compactor recipes unlocked until you get to Item Crafting skill set. To get there fast it’s better to invest in some atributes and tool mastery to work better and to be able to survive easier while away mining and exploring. Buying skills at cost 5 and 6 only will get allow you to unlock entire Item Craft branch pretty fast. After that you cam simultaneously unlock all the basic skills from all branches.

Among less intuitive things: when you unlock Survival skill-set you will find it useful to learn durability branch as it will lengthen your tools lifespan.

Under Abilities: jumping skills will greatly enhance your exploring options - increasing your jump height to 2 meters through the first skill is enough to open a lot of slopes for you and that will save your grapple for the real killers.

6 Likes

seriously thank you for this lol I had no idea how to unlock the grapple/chisel

Many thanks, i go a new round tonight. :slight_smile:

you’ll be getting unlearn points every level so play away whenever you dont know what to do; with progression speed quadrupled its not gonna be hard now; good to see more players going into testing :grinning:

enjoy :sunglasses:

Thanks, i got compactor working with mass production, extractor to, making my first iron tool, and my first glass in the oven. :slight_smile:

Still 3 objectives not working (they are in the bug thread), but i do not see any hunter-objectives.

Less daily objectives at the moment and not covering all classes, but there are the very general daily xp and weekly xp that can be completed through any type of objectives. Unfortunately them 2 don’t work and its a lot of quick progression unavailable at the moment.

It is a good idea to at least learn bulk crafting before going into recipes skills. Mass production is not needed right away as you’ll be dealing with less material/tool needs first. After you have basic recipes skills learnt and level up again, you may than learn mass and go into larger outputs.

Thats what I find best thing to do anyway at the moment.

2 Likes

@boundmore so what we discovered is that at least the daily xp bonus DOES worj, it just doesn’t visually show your progress. So as long as you have it active it will complete when you acquire the xp.

1 Like

Not sure if anyone else has noticed this, placing blocks under your own feet as you jump has become infinitely harder/slower. Possibly intentional.

Also, with the objectives bugged like they are and having already spent most of my unlearn points I’m pretty screwed as far as continuing to progress goes in anything other than mining :confused: Hopefully these get hotfixed or updated within this build.

ALSO SPITTERS ARE SILENT NOW

2 Likes