Time capsule

Idea for this consumable container spawned to me in the Beacon Persistence thread and I thought I’d post it here too with little changes to it.

So the idea for this container is to store players most valuable items, that the players can’t fit into his/her own inventory, for any long period off time of the game.

•The container would be accessible only by the player who placed it and it would persist in the world until the player would log back in, after the player logs back in the container would have to be emptied, but if the player logs off the container would still be available for week while anyone can loot it and after that it degenerates with the items inside(also the container would be consumed immediately when/if all the items inside are taken).

•Players can have only one this type container placed at a time and they could have double/triple the inventory size of regular chest.

Sooooo, what would happen if I found such a caspule, enclose it with blocks and a beacon and wait until the person comes online. He can’t empty it and when he logs out I can loot the capsule.

2 Likes

Then place the capsule somewhere where mobody could find it, .

That doesn’t solve the problem^^

Well as it says in the first point the capsule is accessible only by the player who placed it so it wouldn’t follow the same logic as regular chests, so beaconing someone else capsule wouldn’t work as grief.

edit: Right you said they would cover it with blocks, well that is a good point, thought you would have to then cover some ones, who you know, capsule or spent your time camping a capsule to know when the player who placed it has logged on to know when it’s ffa.

Make capsules invisible to all but the owner. Easier to conc3al in weird places.

So if I don´t play for a year I´d have to recall where exactly I hid my time capsule? Sounds like a pretty inconvenient system to me.

IIRC the devs mentioned that they consider to add something similar to an “ender chest”. Maybe this would solve your issue with “loosing your stuff” since the inventory of an ender chest is detached from the chest itself.

1 Like

Also the time the capsule would exist after the player logs off after returning could be cut down to 24h or less to make the capsule camping a nuisance.

yea then you’d have to check on it every day. But you could still just cover it and not check on it because of the lolz.
Your stuff would be lost anyway.

Sure, they would only use up one beacon block to do so too and since we have no NPCs to rely on some grade of grief is sure to be met.

Now since this game is player run I’d see that capitals or guild run cities could offer people capsule storing spaces to have them stored safely for free/fee.

1 Like

True that, but still it would kind of bug me that it’s so easy to grief a capsule.

Well without making the capsules reserve huge space around them and be a nuisance them self for other people, they could ‘explode’ when the player who placed it logs in to clear an area around it, though obviously it would quite a logic for it to be pretty grief protected as for example check if it’s inside a beacon and if the whole beaconed area is covered with blocks it would have to ‘drill’ a hole for the player to have access to it and so on. So might be a little too much work for a pretty simple container if the other option is to have a little faith in other people. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Ender chests seem to really solve this problem well. They can be broken by others and people can take the containers. But the contents of the containers are player-specific. And shared across containers. Solves a lot of problems without being too OP.

I must have missed that devlog if that is something that the devs have talked about(source?), but that would a good alternative as well.

I talked about it. Thus me quoting myself. You can click on my quote to be linked to my original post.

Oh I thought that was something mentioned about the devs somewhere, but I have read all the posts in the beacon persistence thread alas your aswell, thought that there were actually something more in to detail posted about it. :smiley:

Well it would work basically exactly like a safe or piggy bank in Terraria, though since it’s possible to pick up when it ‘contains’(not really contained in the container “under the hood” so to say) items, why would players have it placed on the ground(except when storing items) rather than eating one inventory slot?

edit: At the moment I’d say your idea for ender chest would work better as a inventory space expanding backpack or something like that, as people wouldn’t need more than one per character or friend group(if we expect them to be always online at the same time), so there wouldn’t be much demand for them after everyone got it, where as my idea for such container would have demand from time to time(consistent material sink).

What if a user could perform a “ritual” of sorts to send the capsule up into the heavens to be protected? Then when they want it back, they just do it again to receive it. That way, it’s not actually placed In the world (so others can’t grief it) and it might add some cool lore to the game.
Something cool and mysterious under a full moon. it doesn’t have to be occultist though. :smile:

That is a good idea, though I’d add to it that if that would be for storage like my suggestion(person taking extended leave from the game), when used before logging out you’d be able to only store items in it and after coming back to game they could only retrieve items from it and perhaps it could be available until the player uses an other capsule which would erase any item left in the previous capsule.

But if you meant it more like all time fully functional storage that could be something like the ender chest though then I would say there should be a cool down between activations of the chest/capsule, so people couldn’t just activate it at any point with a few second animation to put items in to void where they would be safe of death penalty. But as I said fully functional storage, I meant that while your accessing it you could put and remove items from it as you wish, so only the access ability would be limited with a cool down.

1 Like