Turbulenz supporting Baldur's Gate 3 development 🛡

The “working on another game announcement” happened, as far as I can tell, because the credits for the game came out naturally. They then came out and said, “yep, we’ve had a part of our team working on this for almost the last 2 years”. That’s not a recent change, that’s letting you know what’s been happening since just after the release of the game.

No event, no exos. You get that, undisputed, and I absolutely agree that we need communication.

I don’t feel like doing any web archeology right now, but how long is the normal wait between release and announcement for this team? I wasn’t around for any other release, so that’s a real question.
Either way on that, yes it’s frustrating and disconcerting that there is no public roadmap at all.

Also note that we know something related to local sandbox is planned to be put on test soon.

Did my use the word “paranoia” in the colloquial definition rather than the clinical definition actually cause confusion here, or are you being a pedant to attempt to discredit my opinion? There are language barriers on the internet, so I legitimately don’t know.

2 Likes

overall i accept and appreciate all sorts of feedback towards boundless, it would not change my gameplay until the game is done for, and lets be real, not any game lasts forever.
the only concern I’m having is yep you got that right… communication an message from the developers saying ‘‘we are just busy’’ is already some sort of communication towards the community to have some sort of faith. i can understand those that are worried, then again i do think there’s nothing to be worried about. just a little feedback from them would make a lot of difference. that’s all

3 Likes

I’m happy to hear this perspective.

TBH at times I feel frustrated that development isn’t doing a lot of what I see as low-hanging QoL fruit but also at times I wonder how they are even staying afloat (given the limited available income options for Boundless alone).

So I was glad to see they’ve got other income streams. And from your description it just sounds more efficient in terms of a multitasking pipeline.

2 Likes

I want a “bad dancing” emote or 3

@Leahlemoncakes put that mocap suit back on

1 Like

The Secret World has a /moonwalk emote where your character attempts to, but utterly fails to, moonwalk. If you use it to complete a particular mission perfectly, you unlock a perfect moonwalk emote.

Anyway, the regular terrible moonwalk is my favorite dance in that game.

3 Likes

I did not flag that, but it is 100% off topic. Why can’t you keep BG3 discussion in the BG3 thread?

Yeah, any discussions about your thoughts on the Baldur’s Gate collaboration, for good or bad, is completely off topic to this discussion. And this is not the only thread you have brought the Baldar’s Gate topic up in. If you are unhappy about decisions that Turbulenz/Wonderstuck has made, that is totally okay, but is very unconstructive and and very “whiny” to bring it in other threads you find a way to shove into.

3 Likes

How is the potential reason there are no exos off topic in a thread about asking whats going on with exos?

As there is no answer to the question other than reasonable speculation, how can speculating they are too busy on bg3 then be off topic - especially as they confirmed that they are doing exactly that…working on another game.

See below. Its possible that it’s one and the same subject matter, or cause and effect. Therefore perfectly relevant to this topic too

Never expected that! Grats team.

2 Likes

Well they’ve been working on it since 2019, and boundless is still around.

The way I see it is Boundless is a labor of love but they need money too. They’ve contracted work on other projects too.

5 Likes

I definitely think this and @Vetteq’s suggestion that it seems like more of a pet project really sums up how I’ve felt about Boundless for a while now.

With the trajectory this game has taken, it feels like being financially viable is an optional bonus quest, and it’s core game is about being both a demo platform for an engine and a niche game that a handful of developers always wanted to play but nobody ever made.

It’s not explicitly a bad thing, although if I had done more research before backing and correctly guessed that this is what is was going to be, I personally would not have backed it. Sovereign & Creative planets feel like the first real step towards making it something more viable (given that the framework can be the basis for yet more types of planet and adventure, and people may finally be able to play in ways other than the rigid, labour intensive base game), but whether it’ll ever be financially viable in it’s own right is anybody’s guess still.

2 Likes

Dev team shared some cool news and it led to anxiety and paranoia. :joy:

8 Likes

Hahaha, it’s like our societies today! :smirk::pensive:

2 Likes

I think the concern is somewhat justified.

If they had said, hey we are working on another game and then posted anything else around holiday events or even spawned an exo, it would be nothing but cool news. However, it now seems they missed the final line of the announcement off “so we won’t be doing anything in boundless for a while”

1 Like

I see speculations - something that seems to be a virtue these days? :wink:

Isn’t it better to play the game rather than feed each other worries with speculations?
If Boundless universe comes to an end, we still will have great memories (screenshots and videos too).
If it doesn’t - it’s in our hands to make it great. :sunglasses:

7 Likes

For me it’s two things, a topic of discussion and also a very strong personal dislike rather than just speculation for the sake of it.

I love what the game could be, but not a fan of the lack of investment I have now because I’m uncertain if its going to be around. I dont regret probably thousands of hours in game but don’t have motivation to finish my new home as a result.

Secondly in work and in my gaming time I have experienced this sort of distancing from my employer or a game studio where there is less and less input and time spent on one project followed by a sudden announcement that its over because they have lost interest, not making enough money, or have moved on to something new.

I truly hope none of those are the case and will carry on with my day with the belief it isnt. However, if it turns out that they just kept running this to milk money from people while they could I also wouldn’t be shocked (although again unlikely as bl isn’t actually making money from all the available info)

So they have been working on Baldurs Gate for almost two years now. Approximately the entire time since Boundless has been released, they have been doing this. Why is this such a problem now if they have been doing it for the past two years? Every release, every Exo, and every special event has been done while this other work has been going on. While it is certainly something we as the players did not know, I am not sure what it changes that is creating all of the apprehension now.

10 Likes

Because its become more and more of a focus while boundless is now the opposite. As bg3 has entered EA its now seemingly shifted the focus away from the game. Carry on doing bg3 sure, but don’t forget your other games too…

Do you have any concrete evidence of this?

A lack of roadmap and no announcements for a month sucks and doesn’t feel good, but it doesn’t mean the certain doom you’re trying to throw around here. If you have actual concrete evidence, let’s talk about that, but your doomy feelings and vague “not quite speculation” is getting tiresome.

2 Likes