Turbulenz supporting Baldur's Gate 3 development 🛡

Is it weird that I’m more excited about mocap Leah than the whole rest of the game?

1 Like

In a way, I really hope that isn’t the case. Because if it is, that kind of implies that Boundless is an entirely unprofitable endeavour. Without something on the horizon to really catapult the game into popularity (I think alternate planet types and all the development potential they bring were a great step in that direction, but definitely still not there yet), that wouldn’t exactly bode well.

Boundless is sustainable at this point in my view. They’ve proven that they can keep growing the game and aren’t going under by keeping it running. Additionally, from what I’ve always understood Turbulenz is a large team with a variety of projects and games so cash comes in from a various sources.

4 Likes

To each his own, I suppose. Though the only thing that’s actually proven (lacking any real evidence either way) is that the company as a whole is profitable enough to continue, not that Boundless specifically has a positive part to play in that equation (and would subsequently be something I’d classify as sustainable). Sometimes unprofitable parts of a company shift downward in priority.

But then you get your super special phone calls with privileged access to information others don’t, so maybe you know more than me and just can’t say :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Getting some flooding in to boundless too…

1 Like

I think that is what is frustrating as a consumer, a lot of us thought we were getting project X but over the last few years after seeing how it is handled it actually seems like pet project Y.

Sovereign worlds were a great and needed addition for sure in terms of foundational gameplay and setting up for a larger consumer base eventually. At the end of the day the game is the exact same with just having the ability to customize the blocks of your own world. Ultimately that doesn’t seem like it’s going to be enough for me personally to invest a lot more time.

I’m just fingers crossed that over the next few years they continue to add in more foundation and flesh it out, like Minecraft did. I remember when MC started it was basically just virtual legos without a whole lot more to it and then over time and significant fleshing our it became something entirely different but still the same.

Ill be excited to see what the next update is as they’re always great updates, the length in between them is my biggest complaint and why the game often feels like pet project Y instead of project X.

3 Likes

I would guess they should speak how things really are.

Im not stupid… I know When Im being fooled.

Boundless Or… Oort online was created To show what the engine can do… Not To be some sort of massive hit.

They have shown what it can do… So why continue developing… They are just keeping few People to do some Basic maintenance here and there…

As said… Im not stupid.
Even tough devs are not saying this out loud… And prolly are not responding To this cause Im am right… Wich would make them look Pretty bad When the truth comes out.

Over and out.

2 Likes

If they respond and say you are wrong, you won’t believe them. If they respond and say you are right, everyone will be mad. Why would they say anything at all?

4 Likes

Buugi is pretty much spot on imo. They either don’t care about the players, or they are just too busy with bg3 to pay any serious attention to a pet project at the moment. A total lack of any news around Halloween, whats up with exos or even whats in the pipeline is pretty shocking.

Either is bad for the game and if nothing is going to happen here just say as much.

From having 15+ Sovereigns to not even logging in now is how bad i feel things are going for the game.

2 Likes

If they responded, even to say yea, we are busy but will be back soon and i amongst others are totally wrong.I wouldn’t doubt it.

As to why not to say nothing, well because if something is really bad then saying nothing means mugs and fools still give them money up until the thing implodes which pays bills or puts cash in their pockets.

2 Likes

Nothing has changed about the status of the game since sovs came out other than the shortage of exos. Any (new) doom here is fabricated by your paranoia.

3 Likes

Nothing has changed? No event announcement, dev team announcement of working on another game as well as not spawning exos.

Those are definitely changes.

Paranoia would indicate i feel threatened, watched or concerned…none of those are true. Hell, imo the devs are now working on something bigger and better as well as it being a game I like playing.

2 Likes

So many doomsayers in here it’s getting a bit depressing :man_facepalming:

Just to put things in perspective, not everyone at Turbulenz works on programming… let that settle in.
Not everyone in Turbulenz works on Design either… or Modelling, Rigging, Animation, Analytics, UI, Servers etc. etc. etc.

It stands to reason that some of these areas will be ahead or behind the others for things that are in the pipeline. Meaning that there is potential for some of the development team to be lacking work to progress with. It’s sound business logic to keep those people employed (because let’s face it, they’re all good people and have been working hard on this game for several years), but then contract them out to other studios so they’re not just sat around twiddling their thumbs. Doing so does not only keep them in employment, but it also offers them the ability to work with other teams and learn new things that they might be able to bring back to Turbulenz games - i.e. Boundless.

That’s awesome news. I think I still have the first 2 instalments somewhere :joy: Look forward to playing the new one!

14 Likes

The “working on another game announcement” happened, as far as I can tell, because the credits for the game came out naturally. They then came out and said, “yep, we’ve had a part of our team working on this for almost the last 2 years”. That’s not a recent change, that’s letting you know what’s been happening since just after the release of the game.

No event, no exos. You get that, undisputed, and I absolutely agree that we need communication.

I don’t feel like doing any web archeology right now, but how long is the normal wait between release and announcement for this team? I wasn’t around for any other release, so that’s a real question.
Either way on that, yes it’s frustrating and disconcerting that there is no public roadmap at all.

Also note that we know something related to local sandbox is planned to be put on test soon.

Did my use the word “paranoia” in the colloquial definition rather than the clinical definition actually cause confusion here, or are you being a pedant to attempt to discredit my opinion? There are language barriers on the internet, so I legitimately don’t know.

2 Likes

overall i accept and appreciate all sorts of feedback towards boundless, it would not change my gameplay until the game is done for, and lets be real, not any game lasts forever.
the only concern I’m having is yep you got that right… communication an message from the developers saying ‘‘we are just busy’’ is already some sort of communication towards the community to have some sort of faith. i can understand those that are worried, then again i do think there’s nothing to be worried about. just a little feedback from them would make a lot of difference. that’s all

3 Likes

I’m happy to hear this perspective.

TBH at times I feel frustrated that development isn’t doing a lot of what I see as low-hanging QoL fruit but also at times I wonder how they are even staying afloat (given the limited available income options for Boundless alone).

So I was glad to see they’ve got other income streams. And from your description it just sounds more efficient in terms of a multitasking pipeline.

2 Likes

I want a “bad dancing” emote or 3

@Leahlemoncakes put that mocap suit back on

1 Like

The Secret World has a /moonwalk emote where your character attempts to, but utterly fails to, moonwalk. If you use it to complete a particular mission perfectly, you unlock a perfect moonwalk emote.

Anyway, the regular terrible moonwalk is my favorite dance in that game.

3 Likes

I did not flag that, but it is 100% off topic. Why can’t you keep BG3 discussion in the BG3 thread?

Yeah, any discussions about your thoughts on the Baldur’s Gate collaboration, for good or bad, is completely off topic to this discussion. And this is not the only thread you have brought the Baldar’s Gate topic up in. If you are unhappy about decisions that Turbulenz/Wonderstuck has made, that is totally okay, but is very unconstructive and and very “whiny” to bring it in other threads you find a way to shove into.

3 Likes