Update: Release Coming Next Week

$20-25/mo sounds about right for a 60 person game server.

1 Like

Sadly I think a lot of people are hoping to pay $5. Personally I don’t have much idea of value when it comes to server rental and how BL is set up on those servers so couldn’t guess what it will be

1 Like

Not necessarily. When you look at the costs for a server for the closest game to Boundless you can get right now, ie. Minecraft, you’re looking at between $/€9.99 - $/€12.99 pm for a 50-100 player server. Prices vary between service providers but that’s the average from what I can see.

1 Like

Yeah, my research showed the $15-20 price range for an MC server for ~60 concurrent players. I should have said $15-25 range, really.

1 Like

You cannot use Minecraft servers as a benchmark for how much the servers would cost because we don’t know exactly what and how the Boundless servers themselves run due to the way they’ve been so under wraps and closed information about it.

4 Likes

38 posts were split to a new topic: Sovereign Worlds price speculation

This is a fair point and maybe why we should all hold off on the speculation and wait and see what they have to tell us. Personally, I hate speculation but love could hard facts and official information. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Oh now I get it! If they make a post called “Release Coming Next Week” then they don’t ever have to release because it’s always next week!

16 Likes

Yes. I would LOVE the community to stop with the constant speculation so the devs would see we want more info than what they’ve been giving us.

2 Likes

Big brains.
Approved.

2 Likes

I agree with you on this nicely pointed out

I’ve paid up to $15 per month for other MMO’s. I’d expect a similar cost. But if it’s something like EVE’s old $29.95, then I’ll pass.

You are right that people really need to stop with the wild expectations. At the end of the day the numbers are roughly going to be in the ranges people have talked about. James did EXTENSIVE research and evaluation of server costs across a whole range of Private Server offerings in games. That helped them build the baseline, but at the end of the day, each game has its own design. Plus we have different sized planets and they are trying to offer a variety of builds.

I never get why people are trying to pick the perfect number before it is released. We all know it can be anywhere between $5 - $50 because that is the range we see and what most know servers cost. Sure it could be $100, but they want this to be competitive and have shared also that this isn’t a “money maker” plan for them.

6 Likes

I would trade a (boundless avatar’s) leg & and an arm just to get an FAQ post right now. Sooooooooooo eager

2 Likes

I agree waiting patiently from the info from the devs I was hoping info would drop today.

Also just keep in mind Xaldafax people are excited its been a little while since we had an update. They are trying to pass time while they wait for it. Speculation is just part of the passing time.

2 Likes

And speculation is why the devs continue to be vague, cryptic and mysterious (tight-lipped) about everything. I’d like a bit more information than these cryptic, mysteriously vague messages we’ve been getting.

I love the fact the devs have told us the update is soon, but they’ve continued to leave out important necessary information for their community to be able to make proper decisions on things. Pricing is one of those things.

3 Likes

What is your reasoning behind this? I don’t think the speculation is leading them to stay tight-lipped…I think James has his communication strategy and the others have to follow it.

The rest I do agree about though. Beyond bizarre to have an imminent release and we still don’t have pricing info…the only argument I’ve seen in favor of this is “oh, it’s not finalized yet”. If it’s not finalized yet then it’s not releasing yet :rofl:

1 Like

I completely agree everyone is excited… I just see the “debate” as people trying to be right over others, etc. Personally, I’d just prefer people showcase their excitement via “what they are going to build,” or other things that bring the community together versus just wild speculation in an area none of us can control or know the final number.

6 Likes

Just look how much traffic these speculation threads get. Not to mention the debates that happen which … from my perspective, tend not to sway the direction the devs have for the game. I don’t know the devs plans, they don’t seem to have any.