šŸŒ¤ Weather IRL

A place to discuss the weather at your home/work/vacation :snowflake: :sunny: :beach_umbrella: :cloud_with_lightning_and_rain: :tornado:
Experiencing unusual weather? See something extreme or beautiful? Share it with your fellow Oortfriends

3 Likes

Sort of an aside, but I wouldnā€™t blame them if they stopped work for a few days early next week - I follow a lot of weather stuff and a lot of the UK is going to be hit with an epic heat wave. I see 101F forecast for London on Mondayā€¦ not even Tampa, FL has officially hit 100 iirc. :astonished: Around here in the NC mountains, which is similar to there in not getting extreme heat often, plenty without AC here, heatwaves strain the grid, brownouts, get sent home from work to avoid unnecessary usage. Best if they avoid unnecessary usages unless their infrastructure is a lot better than ours!

Iā€™m out irl mining today, taking a break in the shade as even low 80s and sunny roasts me a bit these days, lol.

5 Likes

This extreme heat is also expected in The Netherlands tomorrow, with the possibility to locally reach 40 degrees C for the 3rd time in history and likely multiple record highs in the northern parts of the countryā€¦itā€™s crazy and exciting at the same time (Iā€™m a meteorologist) but for a country that has a climatological average summer maximum temperature of about 23 C it will be intense and probably the impact will be high. As you mentioned, for the UK it has been even more extreme and also in France and Belgium all time highs will be broken :o

1 Like

Looking right now, Guildford at 101F and London at 102F. Hope the team hasnā€™t melted, and that you and everybody here who is going through this European heatwave is managing to stay somewhat cool and safe! :scream:

Yep, the UK reached the ā€˜magicalā€™ 40 C (104 F) for the first time :o So far here we are on track to stay just below this value. So far the impact seems to not be too big here, maybe because it has been on the news and there have been warnings for days already, hopefully it has helped the people to make preparations. Storms will cool down parts of the UK later today and The Netherlands, Belgium and parts Germany tomorrow.

1 Like

At least London has low humidity currently. Got up this morning and the ā€œFeels Likeā€ temperature was already 97F.

2 Likes

The record temperature in Scotland is 32.5 Celsius. Weā€™re a race of pasty faced gingers. My sweat has sweat!

6 Likes

:tired_face::tired_face::tired_face:

So humid too

EDIT: Humidy is inaccurate itā€™s way more humid

4 Likes

Florida humidity hovers around 85%-100% all summer and near that year round. The average yearly humidity is 75% for the most part.

Granted I went through Yuma once at 124F ā€¦ not fun.

3 Likes

We played golf in Death Valley in July 2002, 125 in the shade after our afternoon round at Furnace Creek. Wish we had them officially record that somehow, as it might stand as the hottest 9 holes of golf everā€¦ we did some pretty reckless stuff on trips in the 2000-2008 period, in retrospect. :laughing: :skull: Though high 90ā€™s golf in FL with humidity does feel worse. I canā€™t take heat well at all now, Iā€™ve acclimated to the mild mountain climate here. Interesting thing about Death Valley - we made more than one trip out there in summers, they do get visitors, but we were told we were among the few Americans that came out then. Almost all come from Europe then, going by the guestbook we saw. Maybe because it is so different from homeā€¦ at least, not counting right now? (Hehe, sorry for the OT, but hey, interesting to kill some time before the news! :wink: )

3 Likes

Personally, I just donā€™t leave the house while the sun is up.

image image

This is normal for Phoenix, though, so we have AC and all that. No surprises here.

4 Likes

I always laugh because when people compare AZ to FL they always say its different because itā€™s a dry heat, lol.

I always say ā€¦ if itā€™s hot itā€™s hotā€¦humidity does greatly affect how it feels though. RealFeel of 104F today lol.

3 Likes

We were prepared this summer! Not as hot as some places but it gets super humid here.

4 Likes

Yup. Comparing that ā€œfeels likeā€ is really important. Iā€™ve seen a couple places that regularly get worse ā€œfeels likeā€ than Phoenix, but itā€™s likeā€¦ southern Texas.

2 Likes

I just moved out of phoenix, AZ 2 summers ago.

Going from 110F or higher most of the month to weather in the 80s and 90s has been SO nice. Iā€™m still not ā€œused toā€ it I was wearing long sleeves in May :rofl:

3 Likes

I used to live Phoenix - specifically a little village called Ahwatukee. I actually verified the whole ā€œfry an egg on the sidewalk thingā€ as a kid.

2 Likes

I never actually got used to the hot, so hopefully I can escape too :grimacing:

2 Likes

Breaking news!

Boundless self-published move caused massive heat waves throughout the globe.

donā€™t mind me guys, I was just amused how the topic led to this weather discussion :rofl:

4 Likes
Trigger Warning

Whoops. I screwed up, chimed in and got the topic split. Sorry guys! :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

what have we done :scream:

1 Like